One more loss, mare aborted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
I can not believe our luck. My daughter lost a mare & foal last year and then lost another foal last year (the only two she was expecting and her first year expecting foals). Now a mare just aborted at 8.5 months pregnant. She coliced 2 nights ago and we had the vet out and she was oiled and seemed to be doing well. Then we go out to find an aborted colt this morning. This is the same mare who lost her full term pregnancy last year because the foal did not get out of the sac. Last year it was a bay tobiano filly, this year was a sorrel tobiano colt. Everything appeared normal on examination, except the cord was pretty heavily twisted. The foal also seemed to be the right size for as fas along as she was. My vet said that it could have been a number of things which I already know. Poor Gracie is once again dealing with loss and defeat. We have 5 more mares still in foal but now she is panicked about the rest. They are not due to foal until the end of April with the last one expected June 1.

Sorry for your loss, our sympathy to you and yours.

I remember the events of last year. Hard things to learn for young people dealing with animal husbandry.

I'm so sorry
default_sad.png

lm so sorry , one of mine lost her foal last week , she lost one last year too so lve decided to retire her , its heartbreaking to lose them especially so close to foaling

Oh, Sandy, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I really feel your pain, as we have had very similar luck and I am now a nervous wreck myself. One of our mares that aborted at 260 days a few years ago is at 260 days today...it is a tough time in gestation.

Keeping fingers crossed for both of us.

So sorry Sandy!!! I hope Gracie hangs in there, we also had a terrible year last season and almost didn't breed for this season but so much support from

Wonderful mini friends we were encouraged to move forward. I hope the rest of your foaling is smooth and Gracie can have a good experience to outweigh her loss!!!!

Oh dear.
default_no.gif
I also remember what you and Gracie went through last year. I am so very sorry.

so sorry for you lost. 2010 we lost a full term pinto filly, we were there still couldn't save foal.2010 the foal i lost only foal that year . I understand your pain. we have had mares abort as well, it is so hard on the mares and us.

Thank you all so much for your support. The mare seems to be well and was eating and acting well so we turned her back out with her friends this evening. She was much happier. I will have my vet out to culture and examine her before we breed her back to make sure she is okay. This mare is a Rowdy granddaughter so we really would like to get a foal out of her. Gracie asked me to remind her as to why she was doing this (breeding mini mares) again and I told her because when she got a healthy baby and watched it grow and succeed in life and make others happy, then she would be reminded. That we knew minis were not for the weak but for the strong and determined. I hope the rest of the mares will carry well. I worry of course but do not let Gracie see it. The mares have been having their Pneumabort shots and show no signs of Rhino as well as none of my other horses, but I still can;t help but worry.

Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry. For both you and Gracie. I wish there was some magic to make it easier. Hugs to you both and so glad your mare seems ok.

My guess is that she was not colicing, she was having contractions two days before aborting.

This time period is a common time for minis to abort for some reason. It is so frustrating to get them that far along and then loose the foal!

I am so sorry. I remember your story from last year.
default_sad.png

I have just one suggestion. If you are having an abnormal number of losses look for reasons because something isn't right. We have 'been there, done that. Unfortunately. You are welcome to email me privately if you would like. [email protected]

Hoping for a beautiful foaling season from now on!

Back