Looking for "treat" ideas...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I currently give carrots and apples occasionally, but with summer here, I am wondering if you can give them any other fruit, veggies or ?

Please share you horse's favorite treats, and of course the "do not feed"s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine like carrots and apples. They also like tortilla chips, small horse cookies (that I get at TSC), and peppermint candies. They all get a twinkie every Christmas! Another thing they enjoy is Power Ade or Gator Ade.

For a "Do Not Feed" item, do not feed anything with a pit, like peaches or plums. I realize this will seem like "yeah, no kidding" to MOST of us but *I* almost killed my first mini in 1999 by feeding him a couple plums. Looking back, I can hardly believe I was that dumb. He colicked so badly but did recover after being medically treated by the vet.

Mine likes cotton candy when she visits the carnival...
default_smile.png
Nilla wafers and cheese puffs are a favorite from her nursing home friends. I think her all time favorite is the apple though.

Lets see, mine get.....

Carrots

Apples

Strawberries

Grapes ( seedless)

Raisens

Blueberries

Bannas( not very popular)

Apple Sauce

All types of horse treats from the local TSC/Southern States

Rasberries ( the ones u can pick from the woods that grow in the summer u know?)

PopSicles

Watermelon ( not the rind or seeds though)

Skittles

Jelly Beans

default_smile.png

Thanks guys!!! So things that have pits, are they ok IF you de-pit them? I was thinking maybe cherries, but I haven't ever heard of it before or if they are poisonous to horses (guess I should check a toxic plant list
default_rolleyes.gif
: ).

I've tried the apple sauce and mine were not big fans of it. Hmmm...(or should it be Mmmmm?
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

well during these hot days, my horses love ice cubes. and gatorade too. it keeps them hydrated. and the ice cubes are a good way to get more fluids in them. just make sure they don't try to swallow them, mine chew them right up so i'm not worried.

and almosty everyday mine get a generous slice of watermelon. they absolutely love it! rine and all! (some horses don't eat the rine, mine do) it is what 95% water or something? so that too keeps water in them. makes a huge mess, but they absolutely go crazy over it! so fun to watch them attacking the thing.

This is an interesting thread.

I have a garden and wonder if these are safe to give them?

Cantelope

Cucumber

Since I have way more of these than I need.

I was also wondering if it's ok to give the horses cucumbers. Anyone know? We're picking 4-6 large cucumbers a day from our garden and just can't eat them all or give them all away.
default_wacko.png
:

You can send the cucumbers my way.
default_yes.gif
: But I was also wondering if de-pitted cherries are ok. I seem to have lots of them, but have never heard of giving them to horses, or most of the other fruits mentioned.

Thanks for the responses.

My horses all love grapes, but I thought I read somewhere (here???) that grapes weren't good for them. Can anyone confirm that? They would make such perfect treats for the minis.

When I was searching the internet for the cucumbers I did run across that grape leaves are poisonous. I don't think the fruit is though.

To add to the candy list, here are some of my horses favorites.....................

Butterscotch disks

Lemon Drops

Licorice, the black kind

Jelly Beans

Other things they like.........

Oatmeal cookies

Ginger Snaps

Bread

Marshmallows

Mine like all varieties of melon. Pears are a big plus in their book!

I forgot corn husks. My big horse adores them. I have been giving the more tender inner pieces to the minis and some of them prefer them over their grain. My husband is a huge fan of corn on the cob so we have corn DAILY in the summer. Therefore we are talking about husks from 2-3 ears of corn spread among a big horse and 4-6 minis each day.

Thank you for sharing what you read about grape leaves. My neighbor has a grape vine, and it never crossed my mind that it may be dangerous for them. I also never let them eat from it, but now I will know not to even chance it.

So corn is ok for minis, or just the husk?

I don't give the them corn cobs, but then my big horse is not exactly normal. He has had colic surgery (twice) and is missing 30 feet of his small intestines. We eat the corn ourselves, but I imagine it would be OK to feed them corn, because it is in their grain. I don't think the cobs would be considered treats either, but the husks seem to be.

Our big horses get corn cobs but I dont think the minis should, [its a size thing]. big ones chew them into a paste. we do give mellons , apples, carrots, etc. one of ours likes oranges, but the others turn there noses up at them. its fun to watch our old mare eat fruit, she dives in and makes a noise thats best described as MmmmmmmMMmmmmmmMmmmmmmmm Ahhhhh. Ive often wondered if shes figured out that the sound efects will get her somemore. DR.

Back