Looking for a driving mentor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Reaction score
I'm looking for a driving mentor or instructor close enough to get some hands on assistance. AND I also have more training than my health or time would allow. I'd also love to find some reasonable priced training assistance. I can probably manage one on my own but I have two other minis I would love to get trained to cart. I live 35 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pa a small town zip code 15360- Scenery Hill, Pa... Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You live pretty close to me(belle vernon), but I dont know anyone in the area. I spent a few years looking and what I found was that most people in this area also show ammy so dont want to mentor. I ended up sending my guy to Bill Eperthener in york springs pa. If you find anyone in this area, can you let me know? My guy is broke very well, and I did have driving lessons, but it would be nice to be able to follow up with someone. Bill is a GREAT trainer, I just cant drive 4 hours one way just for lessons all year lol

Have you tried looking for a big horse trainer? Maybe through a local driving club?? That was the route I took and will use the trainer again when I feel the need. For now, I am taking driving lessons from my former ridden dressage instructor who now also drives. I thought she would be able to help me and she has been fantastic (see the turnout thread). She comes to my house as she gives riding lessons in the area anyway. Don't be afraid to think outside the box!

For basic training assistance (an extra body or pair of hands) we have had good luck with students from our local Ag Science High School.

If ONLY I could find a local driving club...
default_smile.png
Everything seems to be 4 hours away. I have used a large horse trainer, it's the cost issue. She charges the same to board and train my little one. I thought I would see if I had any other options but I may not. I'll check out the turnout thread and check into Ag students.. good idea!!..Thanks!

Have you tried looking for a big horse trainer? Maybe through a local driving club?? That was the route I took and will use the trainer again when I feel the need. For now, I am taking driving lessons from my former ridden dressage instructor who now also drives. I thought she would be able to help me and she has been fantastic (see the turnout thread). She comes to my house as she gives riding lessons in the area anyway. Don't be afraid to think outside the box!

For basic training assistance (an extra body or pair of hands) we have had good luck with students from our local Ag Science High School.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, I need someone closer than Bill too. If I find anyone I'll let you know...and you the same, ok?

Christie

You live pretty close to me(belle vernon), but I dont know anyone in the area. I spent a few years looking and what I found was that most people in this area also show ammy so dont want to mentor. I ended up sending my guy to Bill Eperthener in york springs pa. If you find anyone in this area, can you let me know? My guy is broke very well, and I did have driving lessons, but it would be nice to be able to follow up with someone. Bill is a GREAT trainer, I just cant drive 4 hours one way just for lessons all year lol

Christie said:
I have used a large horse trainer, it's the cost issue. She charges the same to board and train my little one.
The training really should cost the same and I can see that if he's taking up a full-sized stall she's gonna charge you the same rate, but you'd think she'd give you a bit of a break on the feed bill.
default_wacko.png

Leia

Back