Show Season 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Belton show is in exactly 3 weeks! March 11-13. I think I read somewhere that you should start clipping about 3 weeks before a show and a total of 3 clips or more to really get their coat looking good. What do you do? Breezy is BLACK and I heard the easiest color to get ready to show, so hopefully that is in my favor. My clip jobs aren’t the greatest 🤣🤣

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated!! I really don’t want to have a poodle at my first show🤣🤣

My clipping is horrible, so take my advice for what it's worth. But I will tell you that I was not the worst set of clipper tracks at the show most of the time. I would clip today or tomorrow, then I would clip 10 days before the show. 5 days before I do a touch up on the fetlocks and around the hoof, then the night before touch up the whiskers and ears. If you are a top notch clipper you can clip them a few days before the show, but if you are like me the longer time frame gives the mistakes more time to grow out. Also if you totally mess up you can give it another shot a few days before. Lol. Not having a super close clip job won't go against you in stock or driving classes, but it could hurt in showmanship or regular halter.

When I was first learning, I clipped mine 2 weeks ahead of the show. Now that I've gotten better, I can clip the day of or the day before a show and they look fine. But the first clip of the year you are going to have to wait for their color to come in, so they might look a bit funny! It only takes one clip, then a few weeks for their summer coat to come in.

At the March show, it is really your choice to clip or not. Not everyone will have clipped horses,especially for performance. Last year I didn't clip because I didn't want to have to blanket and we did great. I just did touchups around the feet, head, legs, hooves and belly.
For halter, you can do a head and neck clip and that will be totally acceptable!

Oh I have plenty of those!! That looks like such a fun class. I would love to do a group costume class one day!
Which show has the class?

We loved costume! The granddaughters had fun trying different ideas, and shopping at thrift shops for stuff. I used a lot of glue, fabric tape, dye, and also became quite ruthless with a pair of scissors. 😂

Aurora and Buddy went rock and roll. Both wore a poodle skirt, hair in pony tails, and bobby socks. Buddy also had old 45’s attached to his skirt. Aurora may have been carrying a transistor radio also.

Autumn and Goldy did their version of old country down home folk going on a picnic. Coveralls, straw hats, straw in a few places, 🤣 gingham kerchiefs, dried flowers, and a picnic basket. Her mini, Goldie, wore a straw hat and flowers, but instead of coveralls she wore a red checked tablecloth with paper plates and plastic ware glued to the cloth.

One year I was a construction worker and we both wore ”coveralls”, hard hats, and carried assorted tools. The matched look was very important in our little crew. 😂

We had an extremely fun time at Arizona's KOS and TOC shows last weekend!

Since I was by myself, I could only take one cart. So the boys and I did driven obstacle tandem! It was a first for us. The first class was our version of keystone cops😂 the steward almost fell out of her chair laughing!.

The next class was pretty good, and the next was a bit better. They last obstacle class was the most fun and challenging!

🤔 Maybe I will show this class this way from now on. Or perhaps I'll throw another horse up front and do a randem next year😁

Attachments

• walterb.nl_public_t_u_c_temp-wbteddxtehlehtcqptxi_s9f24g_img_1323.jpeg
    walterb.nl_public_t_u_c_temp-wbteddxtehlehtcqptxi_s9f24g_img_1323.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 11
BSharp you and your team are looking so polished, love everything about that photo! Itsounds like you had a blast and made some great memories! Was the whole show obstacle centered? It sounds such fun!
No, it was four separate shows, 2 AMHR and 2 AMHA. I showed in 2 obstacle classes at each A show. They also had all the driving classes, halter classes and carriage classes.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The boys and I have worked so hard to get where we are at. I couldn't do it without those wonderful little guys!

Latest posts

Back