Show Season 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it's show season when you come back to your day job to recover from the weekend of horse shows...
The Alberta Donkey and Mule Club ran an obstacle and show prep clinic and show weekend locally, and made it open to horses as well as long ears. I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to get more exposure for Phillippe (who will be 3 in the fall) as well as Jasmine (and my daughter Ali) and our bonus kiddo Autumn with her pony One-Eyed Willy (yes, only one eye.)
Clinic was on Saturday. It was a great confidence builder for Phillippe - who last year decided it was absolutely impossible to walk forwards inside an indoor arena. Although the clinic and show were outside, they do have a large cover-all arena that we got to spend some time getting comfortable in.
By the time Sunday - show day, rolled around, Phillippe figured out how to stand square and hang out, did brilliant turn on the haunches and polished up his already strong back-up skills.
We took 3rd in our long-ears halter class, 3rd in junior equine class (Jasmine won that class!) and took 1st of 9 participants in showmanship senior. He was the youngest animal in our class and was the absolutely perfect partner! We had a riot in our costume class - a couple of hombres looking for a fiesta (it was cold and windy, there were no fiestas to find... it's Alberta!) and even finished with a 5th in our first ever in-hand trail class out of a class of 20!
Ali and Jasmine also placed in showmanship and won the egg-and-spoon in-hand race!
Our friends Autumn and Mr. Willy had a great first experience bringing home a second in junior handler showmanship, a first place for lead line and another first for costume class. A fantastic start, and she asked if she can come back next time and show again. <3

In Canada, Red is First, blue is second, white is third.

All in all, a fantastic weekend and my pedometer said I walked over 27,000 steps between Saturday and Sunday.

Attachments

• Jasmine Ali.jpg
    Jasmine Ali.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 6
  • Phillippe ribbons.jpg
    Phillippe ribbons.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Phillippe showmanship.jpg
    Phillippe showmanship.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Phillippe Sombrero.jpg
    Phillippe Sombrero.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Phillippe costume.jpg
    Phillippe costume.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 6
You wrote a great description of your weekend and I almost feel I was there and had a terrific time! Thank you for explaining the ribbon color system. Always interesting to learn how other places do things!

You all worked did fantastic too! Look at all of those ribbons! 😊

What do mean there was no fiesta? I think you guys were the fiesta! 🥳

Congratulations on everything and also surviving 27,000 steps! 🤣

I hope you guys have all had a fantastic and successful show season. We made it to one more last weekend. I wanted to end it on a really fun note cause next year is all going to be showing my half-arab sport horse yearlings and my warmblood stallion in dressage. Ali took out our Quarter Horse gelding Jessie for his second ever show (he's 18 this year) and I took Phillippe! It was a smaller show but great people.
Phillippe and I entered the young horse class (a combined class for horses 5 years and under.) There were 6 animals registered. We took 6th! 😄
Next was showmanship. There were quite a few of us, probably close to 10 in my age group. We placed 2nd. Phillippe was not as willing to do a clean turn on the haunches as I would have liked, but that's not a big deal...
And then we did in-hand trail. It was a really big class and we'd only done trail once at the last show we were at. He placed third! He was quite cooperative through most of it. Good kid!

And we again did the costume class in our sombreros and ponchos. This time I really played with the character because I was getting egged on by the show volunteers and spectators. When they called for line up, I put us away from everyone else, tipped my sombrero forward, laid down and had a siesta. zzzz zzzzz

I've known the judge for 20 years. He got a kick out of my antics but asked me what happened to the kid he knew from showing back in the day... Well, she's a little less intimidated and a lot more interested in having fun! And when showing a donkey, that's exactly what it's about!

Anyways, I donate the ribbons back at the end of the show, but here's a picture anyways 🥰

Attachments

• Phillippe Sunwest.jpg
    Phillippe Sunwest.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back