litlle bit of help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeponygirl

Reaction score
hey...

i have just bought a miniature pony recently and am currently waiting its arrival. in teh past i have had a little experience with regular horses from a loan horse...but never a miniature. the miniature i have purchased is a liltlle under a year and has never been halter broken. what is the best way to halter break as i have come across several methods?

any input will be appreaciated.....please reply...=]

thanks...
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Patience, patience, patience...

You will find mini's to be quite gentle and willing but you can't just push them into it.

Put the halter on him and let him get used to wearing it. A horse that young may be very frightened because lots has happened to him in a short time. Let him get used to you. Pet on him (or her) and talk calmly to him. Bond with him by feeding him either regular meals or the occasional treat. Slowly begin to attach the lead line and let him walk with you by your side. Don't get in front of him and try to pull him. Coax him along gently from the side. Praise him when he does it right. Most of all, do not lose your temper. That sets you way back.

Take your time and let him accept you as the boss.

Good luck.
default_smile.png

thanks
default_biggrin.png

il take that on board when training her.

ive heard that people sometimes tie them to fences etc to make them understand the whole concept of the pressure from the rope not allowing them to move...but ive also heard that that could cause injury?????

thanks
default_biggrin.png

il take that on board when training her.

ive heard that people sometimes tie them to fences etc to make them understand the whole concept of the pressure from the rope not allowing them to move...but ive also heard that that could cause injury?????
That would be a great way to break a neck.

Learning to stand while tied is something to do with one that's already halter broke.

Listen to Al, he's not often right
default_smile.png
but he is this time.

Sorry, Al couldn't resist.

I agree with all the above, let him get use to halter and you. With my weanlings, I also along with the lead rope I use another lead rope and but it around their butt. They give to the push easier than the pull, and use them together, so as not to pull on their neck, so much. When they plant their feet, I pull with the butt rope along with the lead line. Also, having someone else lead another horse ahead of you helps, which I never have. JMO I am not a trainier
default_wink.png

I am sure someone else could explain this a lot better!

Not a fence. If you tie even a well trained horse to a fence, and he gets startled by something, he could pull back hard enough to pull the fence apart, possibly hurting himself in the process. You might never be able to tie that horse without it freaking out again! Always tie to something that you know the horse can't move, and always use a quick-release knot just in case it gets into trouble. Mini yearlings are too small to drag you around unless really panicked, and so smart, they almost seem to learn by osmosis. He can learn to yield to pressure from you, if you are gentle and praise/reward him for even small steps toward what you ask. Learning to stand when tied should be lesson 2, or 3, after he has learned to walk/whoa on command in hand.

Has she never worn a halter? If not then do start slow. No tying yet, you can end up with a broken neck at worst and a frightened horse in need of the chiropractor at best.
default_smile.png

My babies are all exposed to a halter right away, it's put on and off some but they never just wear it around. I don't truly halter break them until after they are weaned, sometimes later, and I rarely have a problem.

One important thing - please don't ever leave a halter on. I've seen lots that have, to make the horse easier to catch, and it's a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't leave one on period with a baby. With an older horse, you can leave a breakaway halter on pretty safely - the crown piece is a thin leather or something that will break easily if they get caught on something.

Jan

Congrats on your new little blessing! They are truely wonderful
default_aktion033.gif

I don't know how you all feel about clicker training but it works wonders for me. With my little guy at 3 months old. I first took the clicker, a fanny pack full of fruit loops (they are small so they end up not getting filled up on them, and they LOVE them) and a lid from a bucket or whatever. Horses are naturally curious so they usually will sniff whatever you put in front of them. I take the lid, let them sniff it and when his nose touches the lid, click (here you have an option of a command word) and treat. Dont ever give a treat without the click (and command) though because it will ruin your progress. I personally add a word to associate the touch, 'touch it'. After doing this several times, maybe 10 or so, you will be able to tell when the horse 'gets it'. Once he does, you place the lid down on the ground. When they put their head down and touch it, click , say your command word and treat. It can get pretty comical because they can end up walking all over looking for that lid, just to get that treat. :DOH! Anyway, as you progress, use different items, lead rope, halter, etc as a 'vending machine' button. Eventually what happens is they get to the point where you can teach them to 'touch' anything because they trust your commands. When it came time for the halter, I showed it to him, did the 'touch' command, when he touched it, click and treat. When I felt he was ready, I placed it opened on my lap and told him to 'touch it'. When he did, click, treat and praise. After a couple times of that, I placed the halter on his head, fastened it and he waited for me to click and looked for the treat. He was more interested in the treat than the halter. DONT EVER leave the halter on them unattended. They can get into a lot of bad situations. Only use it when your working with him/her.
default_no.gif

I know some don't think the 'click and treat' is worth it but as they learn to trust the command word and you, you can get them into almost any situation while they wait for that click and then the treat. My little guy was trained to walk on boards, between machinary, through water, up steps ,stand next to running machinary, and run behind my 4 wheeler. It worked very well because although he was obviously a little skiddish sometimes, he trusted me whenever I said 'touch it', he knew that whatever he was touching was ok because I never put him in a situation that hurt him. I eventually used the 'click and treat' method to train him to pick up each foot on command for trimming. As he progressed. I used other commands of course.

I also used this method to teach him to relax rather than pull while being tied up. I put the halter and lead rope on him and stood him next to a metal cow gate. I stood on the same side as he was. I pulled the lead rope through the fence and then back to me. I gently pulled on the lead until his head was starting to feel the pull. He naturally pulled back but I then let up on the lead rope enough that he stopped pulling, I then clicked and treat. After several times of doing that (and this one was done many days in a row to ensure he learned it well) he found that by HIM letting up on the pull, he could have his head free and then didnt feel he needed to struggle or fight to free his head.

Well, it's a wonderful tool and you can eventually stop the click and treat. I still use the commands and ALWAYS praise him. He is now 1 1/2 and he still touches things when I tell him to. But obviously, that trust can NEVER be abused by having him touch something that will scare him. I know many people think this method is not worth it. But if you only have 1 mini or just a few, and you have the time, it does work wonders. Good luck with your new little blessing. Linda

Thanks for all the advice.. im sure it will be invaluable when the training commences!! the clicker method is a new one to me but it seems quite interesting...il have a think about it!

and il definitely heed the warning about tieing...thank you soooo much for telling me!!

im really looking forward her arrival!!
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png

xxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back