License To Carry / Concealed Weapons Permit (POLL)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a license to carry concealed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Huh? Are you some kind of gun nut?

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I use to have one, but no longer do.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I do not currently have on, but am planning to look into it

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I cannot obtain one where I live, but wish that I could.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Minimor,

In reading your post, it sounds like your thoughts are in response to a conversation you have read on a different forum, correct? Because I haven’t seen anyone here say that anyone’s safety is taking precedence over living your live to the fullest, and I don't want to be defensive over an idea that is not actually being assigned to me.

Also, I see some glaring examples how people can become personally offended in some comments that are being made. I understand that being online, it is hard to understand tone, but that is why we need to all start being very critical of ourselves when posting. For example, saying that your view is just common sense is insulting. What about the person who thinks you should stand 15 feet away, that it isn't a safety precaution, just good common sense. To imply that your view is the common sense one, and that other views are there for outside of the common ones, is belittling. I am sure you didn’t put the word in to insult, but to emphasize. In reality, it is those kinds of things that quietly aggravate people until they "blow up" or just leave the forum. I have been just as guilty. For example I love adding "very" to some of my opinions. But in reality, very does not change a statement, as is usually used as a "preemptive" warning to people, not to question that thought, I feel it to strongly for you to change my mind. Honestly, it creates a quite undercurrent of animosity and aggression.

Robin, and by an obviose connection Jill,

I never called anyone a liar or said my opinion matters more. My entire post was about how the brain perceives reality, with ALL of us. That we all have a different view of the same world. For the exact reason that you have brought up, we all have different experiances. My entire point is that we are not liars, me or you, but honestly see a different truth. For the simple reason that some of our perceptions have to be wrong, because we all are in the same world, we all need to be very carefull about allowing our feelings to control our idea of what is true. There is honestly a big difference between haveing a feeling about what is true, and allowing your feeling to shape what you see.

For the record Robin, I most definitly did say it was an extreme example, the statment was, " I think we should look at this in an extreme example". I then made up a fake utopia. I then explained that I in no way think that this is happening in america, but that the idea's it expresses are part of the problem.

Somehow my opinions on this very limited topic have givin you, Robin, the permission to attack me about my age and my general behavior on this forum. That makes it quite clear that your preconceived idea of who I am has effected your ability to see me as anything else. I am truly sorry you have been robbed of the opporutiny to truly appreciate me for who I truly am.

I am truly sorry you have been robbed of the opporutiny to truly appreciate me for who I truly am.
James, I'm sorry but with what you just wrote, I have got to say this -- yesterday you ONCE AGAIN showed us exactly who you are. I'll leave the details out but you know precisely what I mean and so do a handful of others. You are as unremorseful as you are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry that you felt the need to take apart and that you felt my post about how *I* feel vunerable as a woman IE: subject of guns for personal protection, was directed at you. It wasn't.

That post was how *I* feel and not about you at all.

Your posts after that were leveled at me and made me feel that I had to defend myself. I see now that you were just making up fake utopias etc for example but in your post you did not make that clear enough. (me=marestare=fuzzy mind) I took what you said about my twisting things to see what I want to see and that I was not seeing reality personally.

I don't understand why a fake utopian world had to come into play because I said how I feel about guns & personal protection. And how I was told that I twisted things around to fit into my imagined perception of how things really are.

No where did I attack your age. I WAS saying that how older adults who have lived in the real world might have more living under their belts might see things differently than someone starting out in life. Why is that any different that a guy saying that I might see things differently because I'm a woman? You said one, I said the other. To me that was facts how we each see them, not personal attacks.
default_smile.png

I know that you feel I am always meaning you, but I'm not posting to just you, but in general. If were talking to only you James, I would email you so we could talk in private
default_smile.png

I've known you for years and I don't assume things about you
default_smile.png
Please don't assume things about me
default_smile.png

I may have (because of your sentance structure) not understood what you meant and felt I had to defend my feelings. But I was not attacking you, just saying how I feel. Just like everyone else is allowed to do. I guess I'm not allowed to speak here.

My tone is (in my head) soft and just trying to make clear that all people see things differently than each other. My posts were not all about you. If you took them that way, I'm sorry that you did.

I guess I'm not used to having everything I say picked apart and debated for the sake of conversation. I take people at their word as to what they feel is true to them and I guess I like it when people accept what I say is true to me also.

Posted Today, 02:39 PM

Not answering for Ashley, but I took her statement to mean that maybe in smaller towns, where crime is not as prevelant, people tend to get laxed and become unaware of something/someone who could cause you harm.

Thanks Sonya. Yes reading it again you are right. I am probably lax because of where I live. I have never felt the need to carry a gun or even own one for protection. The chances of needing one to protect myself is probably less because I reside in Canada and a very small community. Now if I lived in Detroit I would not feel the same way but then again I probably would never live there because of the very high rate in the city for shootings and other crimes.

Sonya I love your analogy

Posted Today, 05:40 PM

Being aware of your surroundings, locking your door becomes natural and is not living in fear....for me it's like my seatbelt, I just do it....and sometimes depending on where I am going I may grab my pistol too.

I also use my seatbelt when the car is moving but if the car is not moving and the motor not on I don't feel the need to put the seatbelt on, lol

I can relate to what you guys are saying about how us women should take extra precautions as we are victimized more easily. I am a BIG girl, and sometimes I feel like that fact puts me at an advantage from being a rape victim because I can't be easily tossed about. But in 2009 I got a big wake up call. I had a 19 year old neighbor who apparently got the wrong idea and thought I was coming on to him. He propositioned me and I tried to let him down gently. The next day, I was home alone and he came over to my house. He knocked on my door and since I didn't usually have many visitors, I was leary. I looked out my peep hole and saw who it was. I pretended that I wasn't home and waited tensely by the door for him to leave. He started yelling, saying he could hear me inside and that he wanted to talk to me. I ignored him and he wiggled the door knob several times. Thank God it was locked! Finally he yelled "I see how it is, I'll see you later." After he left, I called my husband crying. My neighbor was stupid enough to come back after my husband got home from work, and boy was he surprised when my husband yanked the door open and asked him what he wanted. It turns out that my neighbor was extremely drunk. There's no telling what could have happened if I would have opened my door to him or if my door had been unlocked. We went and bought me pepper spray and a tazer that day.

Any of us can become a victim at any time, whether by someone we know or a stranger. Now that I'm reading these responses, I'm beginning to think that having a gun could only be beneficial. Whether I have one or not, that doesn't change whether or not other people also have one. If anything, it evens the odds. Thank you Jill for posting this thread, it;s definately given me something to think about.

Andi-no, my point was that the words and discussion I've seen on a local board are very similar to what is being said here. What isn't said is often implied...if you need a gun then you are paranoid because the world around us all is very safe...that's what I'm getting from some here. Deny it or twist it any way you like, but that is how some come across. If you feel safe anywhere and everywhere you go, great for you, no one ever said you must have a gun if you don't want one.

I had no ulterior meaning to anything I said previously. If someone is offended because I said standing back from a strange car to give directions is common sense, well, next time I hear of someone getting molested after they walked right up to that strange car I am going to say "what did he/she expect-that was foolish". I don't believe any town is ever 100% safe. Maybe 99% of the time 80% of them are but if you are the victim of the crime that one and only time a crime is ever committed in you town you may wish you had exercised more care 100% of the time. If my words offend you , well, if your view of common sense is different from mine, neither of us should be offended. We simply don't agree on what constitutes common sense and what is offensive about that?

No matter what everyone decides is the best for them, if you plan to carry a firearm, please check all of your state regulations about ownership. Every state is different and reading what the laws are in NC, well lets just say its pretty easy to get a handgun. But at least they do require you to take a handgun course before you can get a permit to even buy one.

I'm actually very shy and I rarely jump in and post and say how I feel or think about things. I did today about how I feel about having a gun for personal protection. I've been made to feel I had to defend myself. I've been on this forum for close to 13 years. I see now it's not worth trying to join a conversation. I will stick to posting LB games, Secret Santa, about foals and supporting people when they have joys in their horses etc.

I am very sorry to anyone who had read more into my words than I meant, or felt that I read into your words more than you meant. I have been glued to philosophy seminars for 3 days now, and those views, about how people see different things when looking at the same thing, have obviously taken over my thought process. I want to make it clear that my hope to discuss that on this topic was in no way to make people change their opinions about the original topic, but to use this conversation more as a "case study" to really show just how different those views can be, and how they can stop logical debate and the search for "the truth".

Jill, I think the people involved in my day to day life are the only ones who truly know who I am, and I guess in the future, that might just be how I leave it. I was very excited the last three days, about information that you actually had opened my eyes to. I, obviously naively, felt that I was hearing things that if everyone heard could really solve allot of the problems we see here on this forum and more importantly in life. Sadly, through a combination of my admittedly poor delivery and some peoples tendency to jump the gun and take any opportunity to attack me, those thoughts end up a casualty of war.

James, I really have tried to limit any conversations with you and I think that's very clear to you and to anyone else who follows some of the threads on the back porch. However, your post AT me yesterday was a personal attack like none I've ever seen before on LB... unless you count your prior personal attack at me last November. It's crystal clear you aren't sorry and now you want to act like it didn't happen, or that it was justified.

I try not to get into discussions with you for just the same reasons I imagine are now clear to a few other long time members as I've watched you do to them what you had prerviously done to me.

Please, don't try to act put upon or misunderstood. It's one thing to lose your temper and SAY something in the heat of the moment but to take the time to type it out -- no, that's not an accident, I can't think of any justifiable excuse, and you clearly are not sorry at all. After what you did yesterday, to try and preach to us about being nicer is just more than a little too much.

I'm just sitting here dumbfounded to read that you are posting about you being attacked. My gosh...

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what everyone decides is the best for them, if you plan to carry a firearm, please check all of your state regulations about ownership. Every state is different and reading what the laws are in NC, well lets just say its pretty easy to get a handgun. But at least they do require you to take a handgun course before you can get a permit to even buy one.
Very good info and reminder!!
default_yes.gif

Danielle, just wanted to answer your post...I do not live any where near Detroit ( I live outside a very small farming Village of about 2,000) but I do work near Flint, which actually has a higher crime rate than Detroit unfortunately. All the statistics show that the US does have a higher violent crime rate than Canada, except when it comes to property crimes (breakins, robberies)....I wonder why that is? Perhaps because we as law abiding citizens and home owners do have easier access to firearms legally. And when I sit in my car it's because I am going somewhere (I don't sit in it for the joy of it, cause it isn't that much fun)...so yes I do put my seatbelt on:). I really don't know why some have a problem with the fact that its a good idea to lock your car doors or your house doors at night...kinda odd that people would think thats a bad idea.

Jill, I have made no statement at all about any type of remorse or lack of remorse for what I said yesterday to you, so you have nothing, other than assumptions, to base your view of my remorse on. In all reality, leaving it up did do more harm to me than to you, because it was out of line and against the rules of the forum. That being said, I would consider sharing the names of people who have chosen to be anonymous a larger infraction on people’s privacy than what I shared about you.

Jill, I have made no statement at all about any type of remorse or lack of remorse for what I said yesterday to you, so you have nothing, other than assumptions, to base your view of my remorse on. In all reality, leaving it up did do more harm to me than to you, because it was out of line and against the rules of the forum. That being said, I would consider sharing the names of people who have chosen to be anonymous a larger infraction on people’s privacy than what I shared about you.
Really... that says a lot about your character. You owe me an apology but on the other hand, what would it even mean? Considering it's the second time you have attacked me in a very nasty, nasty way. You couldn't be more in the wrong.

I have not seen any comments on here that say locking your car door or house is a bad idea?

I'm sure people don't think it's a bad idea, Sonya. I've personally never heard anyone say they think so. I believe many just become extremely comfortable where they live and when everybody knows everybody, it's easy to happen. For the record, i do lock my doors at my apartment in Fargo. I have often left my car running while i run into Caribou before my 8am class in the winter though. But hey, it's cold up here! My grandparents leave their doors unlocked, but they do have quite a few firearms and between the 8 very vocal dogs, the chances that someone would make it up the driveway without one of them "tattling" would be very slim. Actually, i'd really like to make it up the driveway myself without them going crazy just once
default_smile.png

I think a few people are having a bad day today reading some previous posts. Everyone smile and go give your horses some extra scratches. Even if we can not agree on many things, we all share our love for the horses. Now off to study for finals-2 more days and i'll be back at the farm for good. Have a great night everyone!

Sonya, I think you took what I said in a different manner than I meant it. I was saying thanks for making me see and understand better the reasons for Americans to want the choice to carry arms. As I tried to convey is that if I resided in a possible high crime area I would want to own a gun and carry one on me as well. And I also thought your analogy about the seatbelt was very clever and good. Sorry if my words didn't convey that. I was just trying to be humorous with my situation. My apologies if it didn't come across the way it was meant.

Jill, I feel that my comments that were removed were out of line considering the rules on this board, but are not something that I would consider warranting an apology to you personally. I can tell you that it will not happen again and also that it will be at the very front of my mind for quite some time. I will re-examine and try to look at this all with the most critical eye I can. If at anytime I come up with a different conclusion, and feel that I need to apologize to you, I will immediately. When and if that happens, it will be 100% genuine, but at this point it would not be. I think we need to remember we have both had comments to each other removed, by moderators and by ourselves, that have not resulted in apologies, this is in no way a one sided attack or lack of apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back