License To Carry / Concealed Weapons Permit (POLL)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a license to carry concealed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Huh? Are you some kind of gun nut?

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I use to have one, but no longer do.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I do not currently have on, but am planning to look into it

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I cannot obtain one where I live, but wish that I could.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I'm interested to see the poll results, and also to read remarks on the topic. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have one, but think I would like to, eventually.

Consider it a matter of personal safety.

Margo

I've had a concealed permit since 2009, can carry derringers, revolvers, and semi-automatics. I travel a lot by myself and a lot with the horses.

Reason I got mine was had a tire start to separate and was on the side of the turnpike at a rest area waiting for the tow truck and two truck pulled in with a bunch of guys--made me very uncomfortable and made me think what would I do if they headed toward me. Got home and signed up for the next available class. Pretty good shot with an semi-automatic but never have got the hang of a revolver--with the double pull hammer I can't hit the broadside of the barn door.

OK is almost ready to pass an "OPEN" carry law and I'll be taking advange of that also--lots of folks worried about the increase in crime -- criminals are carrying guns no matter concealed or not so doubt if it makes a difference at all.

I'm a patron of a jewerly store that the owner as a Permit to "OPEN" carry within the store and he does--never been robbed to date -- I'd sure hate to try that is for sure --seeing that thing strapped to his hip.

I voted no, only because here we are not allowed to carry weapons. If the law allowed for it, yes, I most certainly would have a gun on my person (or at least in my purse). The criminals carry their guns around but the rest of us are not allowed to.

I do. MI has an open carry law, but very few open carry....it is known if you open carry be prepared to get harrassed by the police which is very unfortunate.

I have never felt the need to obtain one... AZ is an open carry state.

My boyfriend is getting his license to open carry and I've already told him I will not go anywhere with him if he's carrying it. I'll go with him to the range and in a car it's fine, but out in public, no, and some of the people that I've talked to that WILL be doing so just make me plain nervous.

Now Davie's story of the gentleman in his jewelry store open carrying his gun is a case that I am absolutely fine with. Good for him.

Why would you not go with a friend if they were legally carrying? Obviously they have taken the safety class and 'should' be proficient and responsible. Just curious as to why. I do know most people who have no experience with guns are afraid of them, as they should be. I grew up with guns my whole life as my father was a gunsmith and the shop manager of a barrel plant and he perfected the rifled shotgun barrel. As a child it was not unusual to have a couple hundred guns in our house, some loaded....they were stacked in corners everywhere. As a teenager I was able to load/unload/take apart almost any gun in front of me. I have the upmost respect for guns and feel confident/safe handling them.

I have experience with guns-have used them plenty and I am also confident when handling them. I just feel that it is unnecessary to have them out in public and can't help how I feel
default_smile.png
This is Fargo, ND-where people leave their cars running in the grocery store parking lots while they shop and doors to houses are never locked. He doesn't want to carry the gun in public for safety, he wants to just because he can and I don't play that game.

Don't have one, but don't have a problem with anyone who does. We own a couple of hunting guns and I am planning on getting a handgun soon, but will keep it at the house.

I'm finding the replies interesting so far
default_yes.gif

Personally, I've sometimes thought that carrying open is a better idea, but have not ever done it. Open carry is legal in VA, and I've thought it's more of a deterent if people see I have it than if it's in my purse, but I've never carried open. I haven't ever noticed anyone else doing so, either, but I'm sure some do (I've not set out to look for it ever). I think if you are trained and comfortable, or can take steps to become comfortable / competent, it's a great equalizer when it comes to personal safety.

It first became strongly interesting to me years ago being a money manager and sometimes leaving the office late. You never know what some people think. I've worried people may think I have a cash vault. Plus all the other reasons a person should be concerned about her (or his) own safetly.

Along the same lines, I try to be safe and limit exposure to physical threats. Things like always get gas during the day time, I do not go to the stores alone after dark, alarm systems at home and office, watch dog, lock my car doors as soon as I get in, house door as soon as I'm through.

I need to get one. I used to carry a BB air pistol under my car seat so that if I ever had car trouble and the wrong person came along while I was stranded I could send them packing. Pretty dumb logic...but back then I probably would have shot and asked questions later. One day on interstate a couple of smartypants guys kept getting along beside me and slowing down to my speed and if I went around them they would pass me again and slow down again and get beside me again laughing the whole time. We just happened to take the same exit and ended up at beside each other in a two lane near the college and both of our vehciles had to stop at the redlight. I reached under the seat and grabbed the gun and slammed it up on the dash and looked at them like a crazed person. Their smirks turned to panic and they ran the redlight!

I respect guns and I am an excellent shot. I have just always feared that I might react too quickly...ex-husband used to break into my home and he was violent. I kept an unloaded gun between the mattress and box springs. The shells were nearby but at least I would have to take the time to load before I resorted to...(what I don't like to think about). I think I am probably "mature" enough to carry one now and in this day and time there is for sure a need to protect oneself. A couple of years ago we had a local dentist gunned down in cold blood at the local carwash...probably for a few dollars. Nobody was caught. Which, this reminds me that I at least need to put some pepper spray in my purse/auto for now.

Back during my soul searching days I used to take my yellow lab out and we would hike all day and then tent camp. I always had my little single shot 410 in the tent with me. Sadly, I found out the firing pin was broken one day. I will never know when that happened. I guess I could have beat an intruder with the stock and sicked the dog on him. Lol.

I need to get one. I used to carry a BB air pistol under my car seat so that if I ever had car trouble and the wrong person came along while I was stranded I could send them packing. Pretty dumb logic...but back then I probably would have shot and asked questions later. One day on interstate a couple of smartypants guys kept getting along beside me and slowing down to my speed and if I went around them they would pass me again and slow down again and get beside me again laughing the whole time. We just happened to take the same exit and ended up at beside each other in a two lane near the college and both of our vehciles had to stop at the redlight. I reached under the seat and grabbed the gun and slammed it up on the dash and looked at them like a crazed person. Their smirks turned to panic and they ran the redlight!
WTG -- I love it
default_worshippy.gif

I did have one when I was younger, but when I had kids I let it lapse. Just didn't feel comfortable potentially having a gun laying in my purse or car with the kids. However, I have no issues with guns what so ever. My husband is an avid hunter, we teach our kids gun safety (14 and 8 ) and target practice with low caliber guns with them, I feel that teaching them a healthy respect for guns is important, not so they fear them, but so they comprehend the damage they can inflict. Since that wasn't an option I didn't vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolyn, I hadn't considered that as a possibility. What you said makes sense and I modified the response options. Thanks for chiming in and that heads up!

Hmm, I don't have a gun, don't have any plans to get one either. I know if I had one I'd end up shooting myself. I also don't think I could ever shoot anyone. Can't even bring myself to eat animals so doubt I could use a gun. Nothing against people who have them though. To each his own. I guess I'm one of those old hippie pacifists.

Hubby and I are signing up over the summer when he is on shutdown at work. I have been an outdoor woman since I was a wee one...lol. Hunted with my Dad starting at 6 yrs old and he made me go to the local Police station one summer to learn how to properly handle -clean & shoot a weapon. I ended up going every saturday morning for $2.00 you could target practice that included the price of the bullets.(seriously can you imagine being able to do that now)We live between two correctional facilitys one is in El Dorado and one minimum security in Winfield. There have been escapes and walk offs at both & with that said...I am glad I know how to use one
default_xbud.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back