Lesson learned

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
Where to begin, I'm posting this for you all as a learning experience. All winter I kept four mares in a paddock in the back behind the indoor, I brought the two show mares into the indoor in Feb. to get them ready for their first show that was in April. the other two mares were left in the paddock. One is Star, black with white socks, born here, the other is Misty that I bought for a brood mare, both are going on three this year. Well, My daughter works all week so when she can come by on weekends we go out and get the mares and worm them, brush, and then hubby comes out and trims hooves. These two were no exception. I didn't breed last year due to the economy and an influx of horses so I work with the stallions every day, getting them in and out, groomed, etc. well I feel I've neglected the brood mares. I also have some yearlings that I'm working with, and I feel I've neglected the mares! Star the black mare with white socks was born here and shown, and treated very well, we had no problems all winter long, but she has a knot in her mane, not to mention shedding and it is time for her to have a hoof trim and worming. The guy that lives on the cattle farm across the road came over yesterday to help me get these two mares in for grooming and hubby will be doing their feet this weekend. I caught Misty the overo mare right off, and had him hold her, it took me 30 minutes to catch Star. She made it a game, when I showed her the halter she would back up and I could get the lead around her neck but she would pull away. It was as if she knew I didn't have the strenth to hang on. I had to wait until hubby got home, and we cornered her and then she decided, well I'm out numbered, and I slipped the halter on and handed the lead to hubby so she couldn't pull away from me. Well she lead into the indoor like a little angel. Well anyway she is now in a stall and I can rebuild her trust and get her groomed, just wanted you all to know, make time for those mares even if it is just a few minutes everyday. Don't want you all to spend 30 minutes trying to catch one.

I know exactly what you are talking about! We had been getting ready to move for weeks so I didn't have time to work with everyone, especially my show mare. Then they were not with me for 2 weeks while we came down here and the shipper was picking them up. So when they got here it was like they forgot everything I ever taught them! We are just now getting back to normal and it has been a month.

You had me scared! I kept waiting for the part of the story with a horrible injury or preventable death and had to reread to make sure I hadn't missed something.
default_wacko.png
Don't do that to me!
default_nono.gif

Phew!

Leia

I'm sorry hobbyhorse, didn't mean to scare you, but this is a first for me. Just wanted to let everyone know not to neglect their mares, just because they are not being used for anything other then lawn ornaments, don't want others to go through what I went through yesterday, Anyway an update, that mare Star, has been a little angel all day. I just felt so guilty not fooling with them much all winter except for what was needed. Lesson learned.

Yes when I had big horses sometimes I would neglect my broodmares and I payed for it quickly! They would run away all at once and run to the far end of the pasture in the SWAMP and would stay there because they knew I couldn't get them! Little stinkers! Sometimes I feel bad for the mares at the big farms because some places treat them like "baby machines" and that's it. Not saying everyone does. Just some farms I go to completely shave the broodmares manes and wrap the tails so they don't have to touch them at all.

Yes when I had big horses sometimes I would neglect my broodmares and I payed for it quickly! They would run away all at once and run to the far end of the pasture in the SWAMP and would stay there because they knew I couldn't get them! Little stinkers! Sometimes I feel bad for the mares at the big farms because some places treat them like "baby machines" and that's it. Not saying everyone does. Just some farms I go to completely shave the broodmares manes and wrap the tails so they don't have to touch them at all.

THAT IS
default_new_shocked.gif
default_1857272.gif
default_shutup.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
default_no.gif
default_nono.gif
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
default_thumbdown.gif
default_torch.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
<<<<< (Change the horse to the owner)

Like Leia, I too was relieved to find there hadn't been some terrible accident!

But please dont 'frighten' folk by making them feel that, if they dont handle/etc their minis on a daily basis, they will be in trouble.

We have 30+ minis in our girl herd (yearlings to 28 y.o.) and they live a completely natural life roaming our fields, the smallest of which is 5 acres and the largest 25 acres. Of course we cannot handle them individually! But we only have to step out into the field on a daily basis to be 'spotted' and then mobbed by them all. They follow us round while we check the fences or just go for a pleasure stroll. On the 25 acres (made up of several areas, hills, and woods) we only have to clap our hands and shout and they all come running. To move them from field to field, if it is not possible to just open a gate, we gather them up and with one of us at the front and one at the back, they then just play follow my leader round to their new pasture.

Worming is no problem as they 'line up' beautifully - although we do have to have a list with us as there are several who will insist that they haven't had their dose! Trimming feet can be a problem as there is often too much pushing and shoving from those waiting to be done, so we often end up popping a head collar on and moving out of the field gate for the sake of peace! We do pick out manes if they get a bit tangled and also trim the ends of tails if they grow too long, but other than this they are not 'fiddled' with and their summer coats are just amazing with a completely natural healthy shine.

The elderly girls who spend the nights stalled in the winter are all waiting at the gate in the evening, and once let through, will make their own way down to the barn and into their stalls for their evening meal and night hay. Those that are bred will come in at night a month before they are due and are in at night for another month after they foal, going out in the day in their own separate field, once the foals are around 3 months old they re-join the main herd until the foals are weaned at around 6 months. The following year, these yearlings - having been well handled over the winter months - will return to the herd (the fillies that is not the colts!)

So this is how we work our girls, as I'm sure many other people will do it, - at the moment they all seem to have wandered back through the fields to near our house and I'm looking out the window at 'sleep time', around 3/4 of them stretched out on the ground fast asleep and the rest standing with them dozing in the early morning sun! A wonderful peaceful picture!

There are lots of different ways of 'managing' your minis and lots of different minis who require different handling, but this is the way we 'manage' our horses and it works well for us.

Anna

Would some one please tell me what I wrote that frightened you or made you feel like there was trouble brewing? I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable when trying to convey my feelings on a subject. Please accept my apoligy Anne so sorry if I frightened you. Can't find my flame suit, go easy but be honest with me so I won't write something like that again.

LOL!! Didn't mean to worry you either - it was your topic title that made us think there had been a nasty accident - or maybe it was just the way our minds work! Perhaps if you had simply asked for help or suggestions concerning a problem you were having?

Anyway I hope you get your girls sorted out - it could simply be that they are both suffering from a little bit of Spring Fever (high jinks!) and having a bit of fun with you - minis have such a sense of humour most of the time.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Latest posts

Back