Learning patience while being tied

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
My guy will stand tied quietly for grooming...he enjoys that time. But if I leave him tied and am doing something other than paying attention to him, he starts...not panicking or throwing a fit, just protesting. I now have a rubber mat on the floor where I tie, because he pawed himself a huge hole there in the past...now he can paw all he wants! He had a bath tonight and I didn't want to turn him back out until he was dry. So I found a nice shady spot and tied him there, and I had my camera out, sat a ways out, and thought I'd take some nice clean pics of him. Well, feel free to look at the good number of photos I got... he was not happy with me. Pawing, rearing, and spinning his butt around. http://picasaweb.google.com/GrullaBlue/NaughtyMagic

How should I help him get over this? I do leave him tied, while I'm cleaning up or doing things around the barn.... I just ignore him when he's pawing and doing his protesting. I guess I thought our "sessions" would get him over this... but he's persistant! He's not very patient with his ground driving either, if I have him whoa and stand there, he doesn't stand for long. I have had him hitched a couple of times, with lots of help around, and with someone usually walking near his head in case he gives trouble. He never has....there was one time I asked for a whoa, he stops well, and I had him stand...and he did get fidgetty, so I figured I'd better nip this problem in the butt before we go any further. But what to do? I can't tie him and sit down in the barn with him all day either.... people have suggested I tie him overnight in a stall, high enough that he can't get tangled up, but that didn't seem like a good idea to me either. He only pulls the rearing act if we are away from teh barn. If I have him tied in the barn or round pen, he just stands there and paws.

Thanks!

AngieNaughty Magic pics

Horses by nature are lazy creatures and you can use that to your advantage. If he doesn't know how to lunge, provided he's old enough, first teach him that. Then tie him and when he has his fit lunge him around until he's puffing a bit, then tie him again. Repeat as many times as he does it during his tie patiently lesson. It will soon click in his little mind that if I don't stand still, I'm going to have to do something but if I stand here, I will get to rest. Horses would much rather rest than work anyday.
default_wink.png
:

This is something I have taught to all my horses and consider it 90% of their jobs to stand patiently. I used the same method to teach my horses everything from standing stock still while mounting to trailer loading and it usually works very well with most horses. No guarantees of course, it depends on your skill level and tenacity, but it seems to be the most effective method I've found to handle a variety of issues like this.

I don't agree with a battle of wills over a characteristic that isn't an obedience issue. He is bored out of his gourd, and hates just standing there. Think about it: do YOU enjoy standing in line at the grocery store? I think it's best if YOU go with the flow, rather than try to force him into submission....

JMHO....as Dennis Miller says, "I could be wrong."

Hugs to you!

But what to do? I can't tie him and sit down in the barn with him all day either.... people have suggested I tie him overnight in a stall, high enough that he can't get tangled up, but that didn't seem like a good idea to me either. He only pulls the rearing act if we are away from teh barn. If I have him tied in the barn or round pen, he just stands there and paws.

Thanks!

AngieNaughty Magic pics

Teaching to tie is one of the tasks I like the least.

I've had some horses that pitch their fit (not a panic, a temper like you are seeing). It's funny -- when they can see that I can see them, they have their little dramatic fits. When they don't know that I can see them, they are SO much better. It's pretty funny, actually.

What I do with one that is really having a rough time standing still (don't you wish your "job" for the day was to stand in one spot for a half an hour?) is to tie them every day. Like when I'm working other horses or whatever. Just make it a part of their routine and make sure they are tied where they cannot hurt themselves.

Like I said, I hate it, but it's got to be done.

teaching a horse to stand quietly while tied is really important. I know a lot of trainers that teach horses this before anything else as it makes everything after this easier to train, because after they learn to tie they know all about giving to pressure. its also a safety issue. I had a mare a couple years ago catch her mane in the fence. INstead of fighting it she stood there waiting until I came and released her. If she hadnt known about giving to pressure she might have fought it and broke her neck. Ive seen horses at shows not trained to tie and left tied to trailers and they always end up getting hurt.

The key is to never untie the horse unless its standing still. If you untie the horse while they are fidgeting then you teach them if they fidget they get untied.

If you are leaving the rope long enough for him to rear its too long. I have one of those rubber ties that are made to teach a horse to stand. Its very short and has just a bit of give in it that pulls the horse back when they pull against it.

Try getting a lead with a chain and putting it under or over his nose first and then slipping it in his mouth loosely to "play" with (does that make sense?). Don't (obviously) tie him to it, just loop it over his neck and tie him up normally to his halter. I do this with young horses (big and little) and it just gives them something to do; some are just less patient.

I agree, a horse needs to be able to stand tied nicely.. this is part of training and manners.

I also would tie him every day, and then go off and do something else. I would not recommend a chain in the mouth, or over the nose, etc.. to play with. This can be dangerous, even if the horse is not tied with it, should it get caught or hung up on something.

Also, the horse needs to learn to stand there, without distractions or other gimmicks to get them to be quiet.

If he is not hurting himself or in danger, let him throw a fit. After a while, when it doesnt do any good and he isn't getting any attention, he will get over it. It may take days or even weeks... but what if you had to take him somewhere and tie him, like at a show, and he is climbing the sides of your trailer? Or just causing a scene.

I dont find they throw a fit because they are bored, they are just being naughty and impatient... and they need to learn that is not the way. Usually when they are bored, they fall asleep..............

While I don't agree with leaving them tied overnight, I do think this is one of those things that need to done every day for at least a while. Like the other posters have said, it is a matter of practice, practice, practice! That being said, the give to pressure thing is very important. That is something I teach to my horses BEFORE they get tied. They need to know that as soon as they feel that pressure on their poll, they need to move toward it. I use clicker training for this activity. Here is a link to some good videos that give really valuable information about a variety of things we do with horses each day. Karen Parker is an incredible clicker trainer. http://user.cavenet.com/parkerk/videos.html scroll down to the Teach Your Horse to Stand Tied video.

I don't really have any advice. But I had to say, you did get some pretty good pictures! :lol:

Good luck with him!

I haven't had a lot of problems teaching horses to tie.

What I do is first tie them next to a buddy for a while. My horses get tied up a lot... while we clean their stall, to dry after a bath, tied up to a trailer all day at the shows. They really get over it.

Tied up next to a buddy, or tied up in their stall where they feel at home and comfortable are the best places to start. When they meet resistance, they will be less likely to panic and struggle.

Then I tie them a little further away from their friend, outside of the stall, etc. but make sure they can still see their buddy.

I find most horses object the most when they can't see another horse.

Andrea

Tieing for me is just something my horses NEED to know and i have to be able to trust them to be tied by themselves. My horses are tied ALLOT. They are tied and bathtime, tied for grooming, tied to get hooves picked and most important to me, they are tied at shows in there stalls for sometimes long periods of time. For example, this past weekend i took Narko into the ring and Chief had to stay tied in his stall while we were in the ring bc he was just a couple classes after Narko's class. I have to be able to trust him to be tied there for that period of time even if just 10 minutes and not hurt himself, now of course plenty of people are around if he gets himself in trouble so that takes less worry away.

My horses all seem to taking tieing natural, but then agian they all understand the concept of pressure so that makes it just that much easier.

I know a trainer who will tie young horses in a stall, tie them short enough so they cannot get tied up in the lead and let the horse fight and figure it out themselve. Not sure if i would do that and just walk away, but if it works for them lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never, ever leave a tied horse unattended. Please don't tie your horse up overnight. You could be setting the stage for a very, very bad outcome!

We have what we call the "patience rope" in our yard. It's a long rope tied on a tree way up high on a branch. It's just the right length that they can't get to the tree, put their head down to graze or put a foot over it. They can fuss, move about and do small circles. It can take a while, but they learn it really doesn't prove much to fidget and is MUCH easier to just stand still. And there's plenty to watch so they don't get bored.

Lucy

Thank you, I agree, it IS important for them to tie safely and patiently. He also does this if we just stand around on the lead rope...after he's been standing awhile he says "ok, I've had enough of this." He does tie well on his terms. If he's getting a grooming session or something...he's great. It's as soon as I quit paying attention to him.... to drive him, he needs to learn to stand patiently...if he didn't tie well I could see a disaster happening in the cart. Perhaps trying to rear in the cart even? So we're back to square one as far as that does. I do not agree with tying him overnight...that was basically the only suggestion I was given. He doesn't rear when tied in the barn, but there's a first time for everything, and it's quite possible he could start, and get a leg over the rope or something....

He does give to pressure very well. If you look on most of the pictures I took, he doesn't have the rope tight, well, some of the pics I liked I took the rope out, but he was not testing the rope whatsoever. He was just flat out being a brat! I appreciate the suggestions....and I think what I will do is just tie him whenever I can, and am around to supervise. If the sun isn't too hot, I could even tie him in the round pen (where he's used to being tied for his baths, and clipping stuff...half the time I do it outside), and I can do my thing in the yard....ignore him, yet be close by and within eyesight of him should anything go wrong.

I appreciate all of the posts! And thanks minihorse4ever, I like getting feedback, I liked them too! I do like the idea of the "patience rope!"

Angie

I think the way you have him tied in the pics is a good choice. High enough so he can't set himself back to pull yet allows freedom of movement. I absolutely hate it when people tie fast and let them struggle it out. It teaches them nothing to be forced to stand for long periods if they are having fits as your boy has been.

It should be a teaching session not a marathon. Teaching implies you are an active participant, to leave them to their own devices only prolongs the behavior. The way I do it, they can be taught to stand patiently in a matter of hours, not days or weeks.

Last edited:
i just would not tie him that long because its a safety issue. if its long enough he can rear its long enough he can get a front leg caught in it. I have seen it happen so many times i cant even tell you.

I so agree it should be a teaching session. but if the rope is long enough for him to rear what is it teaching him?The whole point of tying is to teach pressure and to teach patience. Hes not learning to be patient on a rope that long

Just to clarify i never leave a tied horse unattended and i never tie them for days etc. I think the longest i tied a horse was 2 hrs.

Just my two cents

I do disagree with one thing you said kaykay and that is that a horse learns to give to pressure while being tied. I strongly feel no horse should be tied until it has learned to give to pressure or one can easily end up with a fight or at worst an injury because of it. High tieing is a safer alternative for pullers but even if he rears there is less chance of getting a foot caught than tieing long at wither level or below. I don't think it's this ladies intention to leave him unattended during his training and I would hope people in general wouldn't leave any horse tied unattended no matter how well trained but they unfortunately sometimes do.

I still think that if behavior isn't intercepted and a horse given a less pleasant alternative the training process is delayed, if it happens at all. Just a difference in philosophies is all.

Last edited:
heres why it teaches them about pressure.

the horse pulls and puts pressure on himself. When he relaxes he relieves his own pressure. Pressure on, pressure off. But again if the rope is long then it really isnt teaching him much. As I said in another post i have a rubber tie made just for teaching this and dont use a rope. The other problem with ropes is they stretch if the horse pulls.

Really everyone has to do what works for them. But a rearing horse is a very dangerous thing.

Back