Just curious...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
Wanting to get input from the group as to what criteria you have when you select a stallion for outside breeding. I'm working on putting together my ads for my Boone's Little Andy and Roan Ranger son. What other information should I be prepared to give people. Any ideas?

Pedagree means nothing to me. I could careless about that. I wanna see what he looks like, and what he has produced. Is offspring are the most important part.

Are you wanting to see pictures of both the offspring and the mares that produced them? Would it be best to put together a list of offspring with their show records and pictures?

For me personally, first and foremost I like to see photos and the accomplishments of his offspring and I prefer to see mature offspring as well as youngsters.

Conformation shots, not just fancy professional photos.
yes.gif

Pictures of previous foals. I want to see what the stallion has produced already.

I agree with Getitia - pictures of all ages of get. No don't put pictures of the mares up - you're not selling them! I like to see pictures of the stallions conformation as well as performance. I like to know what he excels in - jumping, obstacle, halter, driving, whatever.

I would want to see conformation and head shots and not just professional pictures. Pictures of what he has produced, is a super addition, with the mares he has produced these kids with, which gives an idea what he produces with different mares. I do want to see pedigree also because I find it important. Mary

Weeeellll, I can see from a consumer point of view for these type of ads listed above but....well if Revlon really made everyone look like their covergirls why would they need to pay to have a "spokesmodel".

Sorry folks (and I can already here many of you snorting your disagreement) but most successful ads are H.Y.P.E.

Most good ads take a good horse and transform it to some mythical creature. B.O.B. was a well known name before his get started raking it in. George has never been shown (to my knowledge), was in major publications before his foals hit the ground, had proffesional pictures the were not strong "conformational shots" yet we all were drooling in anticipation of his foals. Little King and Double Destiny are two other names that come to mind in selling hype. (mind you all horses listed above are nice horses just examples of ad campains.)

You are selling a product and A LOT of standing stallions is hype and illusion. Know many top breeders who have 20+ foals from one stud each year but they only use one, two or three for their campains. The "illuision" would be that they are all that good even though our logic tells us that they can't be.

We are all big pussy cats, blow some whistles throw some glitz and we all stop to take a second look. 'Course some horses will not stand up to a second look but half the battle is just getting them to look in the first place.

First thing I want to know is who the horse is, not who he is the son or grandson of. I want to know his name, and what he has done , then I would like a click on extended pedigree thing so i can see for myself. I'm afraid I used to be in advertising so I sidestep "hype" as easily as dog doo-doo!! If you are presenting and selling hype you have to be prepared for people who have not a clue about whether or not their mare is any good and will "nick" with your stallion. You also have to be prepared for the flack when the second rate mare fails to come up with the goods, as it is always the stallions fault!! I would want to see good photos, not necessarily posed show photos although it is always nice to see a really good set up, photo as well. I'd like to see proof he has a good temperament, id he drives, pics of him in harness, I'd like to see pictures of his foals and the same animals as yearlings- adults if possible. I'd like to know that foals out of a certain height range animal have never gone over the limit required. If he is H/Z for Pinto, obviously that is good to know. I'd like to know he has been shown (if he has) with some success and a click to see show results. I have NO interest in how well his father and grandfather have done, although I would be interested to know that, for example, he has never been shown due to an injury as a foal but none of his foals shown to date have failed to place- that would give me a good all round insight into the sort of foal I could expect from a very good mare. I would also like to know something about mare care, and pricing for keep- maybe another click to see thing?? When I took outside mares I always reserved the right to turn a mare away if I had not seen it before or if it did not match up to the description. You should make it clear that this can be done with NO responsibility to yourself- I had to do it when two 39" mares turned up described as 31"!! I also did a reduced package if the stud fee, the mare care for a month and insurance were all paid up front. You need a contract that is watertight and has been looked over by a Solicitor!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! You have some very good advice and I knew that I would get a good start here. What would be your thoughts on adding a "stallion shopping" page to my website where you could click to get all the information that you wanted, not what I wanted to show you in the ads.

Adam

Latest posts

Back