just clipped

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda

Reaction score
I just clipped my show horse and he is way under weight. That is my opinion. Hubby thinks he is wonderful. We only have two weeks until our first show. I know there will be no miracle cure but does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help. Thanks

Beet pulp mashes and oil seem to be the fastest way to put on weight IMHO.

Someone else might have a different recipe.

What are you feeding him now?

Beet pulp, alfalfa, oats- all good IMO along with a balancer.

He has been on beet pulp and omlene 200 -- along with a feed through wormer and coat conditioner. I feel my feed program is a good one, I have shown for a long time. This guy just got away from me. He is two this year--might have had some growing issues over the winter.

Do you have a pic to see how much he need or even if he needs to gain?

I was afraid someone was going to ask that question. As you can see by my wonderful links and bells and whistles at the bottom of my posts, that isn't going to happen, even on my best computer day. LOL. Here is the real scoop. I am my worst critic. I have no idea how or why the judges pick my horses, but I have done well in the show ring-- I am just very low profile. He is just not what I wanted FOR HIM. His ribs don't show he has a nice hip line but he is not MY idea of what he should look like--- this colt is special to me. I just wanted him to look his best-- which to me means more weight.

Maybe just try increasing the feed a bit and see how that works? Or- add a bit of alfalfa to the mix.

Good luck!

He has been on beet pulp and omlene 200 -- along with a feed through wormer and coat conditioner. I feel my feed program is a good one, I have shown for a long time. This guy just got away from me. He is two this year--might have had some growing issues over the winter.
What does he get for hay? Kind? How much? How much Omolene? How much beet pulp? How big is he? With this information, perhaps even without pictures someone can help you decide if he needs a little more or something a little different?

We use body builder on all our show horses (laura from Ten L got us started on it) Its really great for getting that final bit of weight and muscle on a show horse. Its pricey but lasts quite a while as you only use a bit every day. You will see results in 2 weeks if you get started now

Latest posts

Back