Just another day at Woodwinds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
We're in the midst of some very atypical Oregon weather -- cold, crisp and clear, so this afternoon I decided to let work wait until dark and go play horsie -- with the horsies, that is.

The usual muddy mess that is our corral is frozen enough to keep the slop at bay, yet not so frozen as to be a hazard; things looked good for a winter workout.

We'll be showing Pastorius (Flash) this year along with Mingus, so I;ve been trying to get an early start. His ground manners are excellent, and he understands the true meaning of whoa, but he needs to learn to set up. Conditioning will need to be approached differently than with Mingus; whereas the latter trots like the Energizer Bunny once I get him started, Flash thinks that round-penning means leaning against Mom and turning with me while the others run or trot. Crack the whip at my spoiled baby and he just stares at me with those big, brown eyes as if to say "I know you'd never use that on me..."

So today I began lunging him for the first time, walking him in a circle, then slowing extending the line as I moved in and he moved out...keeping the lunge whip at his hind quarters, where he ignored it completely. A couple of clicks and a couple of treats and he began to get the idea. Of course, our lunging circle became a bit of an obstacle course once Mingus and Thelonius saw that treats were involved. We stopped after a short session and moved on to setting up. Next time we'll work away from the other kids.

Flash is a gentle soul, and I'm not sure he'll ever have the burning desire to show off that Mingus was born with, but he is such a pleaser that I think he'll show well. He learns quickly and never forgets a lesson, and the "head up" command that we worked on last summer was quickly remembered. "Stand" is another issue, as he isn't thrilled to have his feet placed and doesn't yet see why he shouldn't stand all catty-wampus...but he'll get there.

The whole time we were working, Mingus and Thelonius lurked behind me, snickering at Flash, I'm sure (I come from a family of six kids...I know that sibling game). Finally, the lust for attention (and treats) got the best of Mingus. After I had told Flash to stand, I heard a snort behind me. I turned to look, and there stood Mingus the Magnificent, set up perfect with hing legs slightly parked, head high in the air, neck stretched and arched, eyes bright, winter coat gleaming bright red in the afternoon sun. "Look at me, kid...this is how it's done..." Boy, is it ever...if he can just do that in the show ring!

Flash had had a long enough lesson for one day, so now it was play time...at the command "Trot" and a flick of the lunge whip, Mingus and Thelonius each gave a perfunctory buck and took off around the corral. Mingus at his speed trot, head in the air, knees lifting high off the ground, Thelonius with his amazing jack rabbit starts, leaping as much as he galloped, a little red-headed boy at play. Both snorting and thoroughly enjoying their romp on a cold winter's day.

So where was Flash?

As close as he could get to Mom, leaning against me as I turned, watching the other two run...

I feel like I know your three boys from your posts!!! And, I love them
wub.gif

thanks for the story i feel as though i were there, they sound like great characters....
smile.gif

yes.gif
These stories should be put in a kids book it'd make great reading for my youngins

Thanks, everyone...as you can tell, they are a bunch of characters, each with a very distinctive, very different personality, and I love each of them so much that sometimes it hurts...

I am working on a book...a collection of our mini adventures. Hopefully it will appeal to kids and adults alike. Our move from Portland to Scappoose actually suggests two separate books, but we'll see.

Latest posts

Back