jumping problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
Heres the deal!

I never jump china in between shows! but the last few shows she hasnt been doing well in jumping, refusing. falling over jumps, the last show i went to she refused then jumped fine! it was also cold and windy! someone is suggesting that i should practise in between shows! she is old and maybe her age is catching up with her! but i duno! any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
You most definitely do owe it to your horse to keep them fit between shows by practicing.

Also to warm up just a little before a class.

These things aside, if she's older, you might check for any sign of inflammation or lameness.

OR, could it be possible that her vision's failing?

Either way, you have a lot to rule out, but first off would be to keep her working between shows. I like to jump my gelding 2-3 times per week and do at least three times the jumps we would do in a normal class (a/k/a about 15 or so at separate runs much like the original vs. the jumpoffs), as well as trot and canter him to keep him toned.

It's kind of unfair to ask her to do these things only at shows and I know it happens, but if she's not doing so well now, that would be the first thing I'd address. She may only be getting lazy, but there could be a whole host of other things.

Liz M.

Think of it this way: Someone tells you to run a mile and do some hurdles which you haven't done for quite a while. If you are reasonably athletic you might try it and do not too badly but the next day you would be hurting. Then a week or so later they ask you to do it again. This time you are thinking "hmmmm......last time I hurt afterwards. Not so sure I want to do this at all" but, because you are a pleaser, you give it a shot. China is trying to give you a message. IF she really enjoys jumping then get her fit and in shape to do it between shows. IF she has never really enjoyed jumping then give it up before she gets hurt.

Hmmm...guess I'm the "someone" who told you to work her abit between shows.
default_wink.png
:

Not crazy hard everyday but a happy medium just to keep her limber.

She is a gorgeous older girl who loves to jump & does sooo well at hunter!

Glad others are giving the same advice.

See ya soon Cara
default_yes.gif
:

I get what your saying nootka i would never want to do anything to hurt her in anyway! so thank you all for the advice!i shall take it and put it to good use! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back