Joint Supplement for Performance Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is probably not a bad idea to start supplementing before arthritis or joint deterioration sets in old age. Once cartilage is gone, you cannot get it back. If a performance horse is doing a lot of strenuous work it will definitely help keep him comfortable and may prolong his career. All of my ponies in work get msm, condroitin and hylauronic acid supplements. My oldies get cosequin, even my 21 year old dog is on it and we swear by it.

I agree with Amysue. I do the same thing with the same ingredients.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Honestly, they are 3 and 5. Of they have proper conformation and you are reaponsible about warming them up and cooling them out hey should be fine. Sorry but I don't hardly consider a lightly driven or in hand horse 'high stress' - my own included! I rode 4' jumpers for years - my 23 yr old retired mare has never once needed a joint supplement because we weren't dumb about things, she had good legs, and wasn't ever made to do things she wasn't capable of - she had her legs protected and was adequately warmed up and cooled out her whole life. She is a candidate for one now (because she is 23 and gets stiff on cold mornings,)

Unless they are pulling heavy loads, worked for hours a day, subjected to improper workouts, or have bad legs from the get go there is no need for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are warmed/cooled properly. Work properly for their age, and have good legs. My stallion is 30' in. and does jumper,hunter,obstacle, etc... and he jumps around 44-46inches. And jumper training is done 3-5 times a week. And he wears all the proper leg protection. But I know it still puts stress and the joints!

Then I really wouldn't worry about it. Now if he were 15-20 it would be a different story though.

I really think sometimes people way over complicate feed programs and over supplement - which is fine, to each his own, but I think awful expensive! Even a cheap supplement fed throughout the horses life adds up fast - and if it's not necessary it's a waste.

Even at $5 a month, that's $60 a year. Times 10 years is $600! What would be better? $60 a year in unecessary supplements, or $60 a year into a special savings account for equine emergencies, shows, tack, or whatever else? However if the horse needs the supplement by all means they are worth it - for example moms colt with chronically poopy feet looked wonderful after a year of horseshoers secret.

Minis aren't just plain aren't as stressed on their joints as biggies. Less weight on them, no riders, less speed work, etc. a heavily driven horse might be, but they still don't have the stress of a heavy rider on their back - weight is distributed far better in better places for the horse by a cart and harness.

Latest posts

Back