Vitamins/supplements quantity for little ones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trails4jd

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Smartpak and manufacturers of supplements seem to just say to give half of a full sized horse's quantity for a 500 pound horse. My guy may not even officially be a mini but at around 300 pounds it seems I'm either ODing him or throwing my money away. Seems that it should be calculated based on his weight compared to a 1000 horse. What does everyone do? Thanks!

Lots of math. Most supplements are based on 1000-1100# full size horses. For small minis, 34" and under, I usually give 1/4 full-size supplement dose; for large minis, 34-38", I usually give 1/3 full-size dose; if the mini is really small like 30" and under, I give 1/5 dose. If there are instructions per 100# BW, I follow those directions.
I've kept scoops from various supplements, and even bought a few really small scoops, so have scoops in many sizes available, so I can usually dose down most supplements decently, even without a small gram scale (I have a postal scale, so it does ounces and pounds, not small increments). One tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons. 1 teaspoon is 5ml (5cc), 1 tablespoon is 15ml (15cc). Seems many of the scoops are in cc or ml measurements (some of the larger ones are ounces or cups). About 454 grams in a pound.
We can start here.

Thank you. I think I'm on the right track. Because I accidently ordered my new vitamins in Smartpaks and not bulk, I will need to use less than they put in the wells. For about a year now I have even been giving my "big" horse slightly less than the amount for a 1,000 horse. Of course if we give them more than they need, the manufacturer profits!

Thank you. I think I'm on the right track. Because I accidently ordered my new vitamins in Smartpaks and not bulk, I will need to use less than they put in the wells. For about a year now I have even been giving my "big" horse slightly less than the amount for a 1,000 horse. Of course if we give them more than they need, the manufacturer profits!
I think so, too. Our little guy is 250 lb so we do half the pony dose. I eyeball it with my assortment of scoops for things like a multivitamin or omega 3's but if I ever give something like bute (I do this very rarely for him) I weigh it out on a kitchen scale.

I dose by weight, one gelding is around 250lb so he gets a 1/4 dose and the other is closer to 300lb so he gets a smidgeon more than a 1/4 dose. I try to start with math, using a small digital scale to be precise when dividing the full size/half size horse dose down to each minis' individual weights. Mostly I'll just eyeball it now, a little less or a little more won't hurt the horse or the bank much. Unless it's something important like MartysMom says about bute - break out the scale for that one. Too many vets try to recommend a half dose (sometimes a full horse dose!) for minis... weight is so important to go by.

Latest posts

Back