Supplement for sun bleached mini mare that is competition legal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HartleyEQ

Reaction score
Hi everyone! (Please remove if I put this in the wrong thread)
Does anyone here know of some good supplements to help darken my sun bleached mini mare’s coat that doesn’t contain banned substances? Thanks!

PS: she wears a fly sheet with a neck piece during the day to try and protect her coat.

Attachments

• 982D9045-95D1-4E16-BA03-318C8CEAA5BC.jpeg
    982D9045-95D1-4E16-BA03-318C8CEAA5BC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Copper and zinc deficiency can cause sun-bleaching, so if you aren't balancing their minerals/testing your hay, then a good VMS or ration balancer should have what they need provided there isn't some source of excess iron or manganese in their diet (those minerals will outcompete the copper and zinc for absorption). Vermont Blend is indeed a good supplement, California Trace also, and there are several ration balancers that are also good if you can afford the extra calories! Depends on what type of hay you feed which options will be best though. If the diet is grass hay primarily then the VB and CA Trace are both good options.

There are also spray-on sunscreens designed to prevent coat bleaching, you may have to apply them pretty often.

Are there any supplements that aren't show legal? I've never heard of them testing for anything, but I've never shown at the big shows.

Latest posts

Back