It's Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If prime rib and turkey and ham and barbecue ribs and all the dozens of different traditional foods aren't good enough tough,

YUMMMMM Prime rib YUMMMMMM boy add some chocolate- and some rolls and salad for Raven and it would be perfect
default_laugh.png

Seems to me in these days and these times there are plenty out there that would be grateful for any type of hot fresh meal- yes we all have our preferences but reality is if you have family or friends to sit down with and hot food on your table you are doing better then many and should enjoy it

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out I not only have some vegetarians coming for Christmas, but also some Vigens (my computer doesn't even know how to spell it). They even called and told me. Well, it will be a hot day in North Dakota, in December, before I am going to serve some of that artificial junk that the body doesn't know what to do with, to company. I am going to put more butter and cream in stuff than ever. And the roast is going to be big and very rare. And there is going to be more eggs used and every vegetable is going to have cheese on it. And after is all done, I am going to light up the old corn cob pipe and puff like crazy. Thanks for letting me vent. And no more of this happy holidays stuff. [SIZE=14pt]It is Christmas.[/SIZE] Oh, I feel better already.

Personally I think thats rude, but to each there own.

Wow...

Most good host/hostesses should be grateful for advanced notice of special needs guests. After all, people who eat meat can eat vegetarian dishes and vegan dishes, but it cannot work the other way.

I am very grateful that as a vegetarian myself, the people who host meals at work, family events, and other social events are gracious enough to provide opportunities for me. I always let them know that I am appreciative.

Christmas is not a time to be selfish, ignorant of others' needs, and negative.

Merry Christmas to all, and thank you to all those who host gracious get-togethers.

Andrea

Wow...

I am very grateful that as a vegetarian myself, the people who host meals at work, family events, and other social events are gracious enough to provide opportunities for me. I always let them know that I am appreciative.

Andrea
How about grateful for those friends that freak out and say my friend is a Pagen and coming to visit what do I feed her LOL OMG sometimes I am such a dork
default_blush.png
default_blush.png

To be clear Andrea is not a Pagen LOL

Well Lavern...maybe I should stop by and fix them some good o'le Biscuits and Gravey
default_biggrin.png
maybe that'll turn'em...

Wow...

Andrea
How about grateful for those friends that freak out and say my friend is a Pagen and coming to visit what do I feed her LOL OMG sometimes I am such a dork
default_blush.png
default_blush.png

To be clear Andrea is not a Pagen LOL

Hee hee hee... yeah... I am not a Pagan OR a Vegan!!! Just vegetarian!

Andrea

You know, I've been thinking about this situation all day. I wasn't really sure how I'd feel if I was the one involved because I can understand how someone wanting me to add "more" food dishes to an already big menu would be a bit frustrating.

That said, I know that if I was the one hosting the dinner, and I had invited "friends" and "family" to my house, I would try to make it as accommodating for them as possible. After all, they are guests in my home. I know that it is impossible to make everyone happy, but in that case, I would appreciate and welcome others bringing something to the party, especially if they had "special needs". Most guests feel that it is good manners to offer, or bring, an item along.

Life is too short to be upset over little things. It's the time of year to be giving, and to go out of your way to show others courtesy, even if it does involve a little extra work or swallowing your pride and allowing someone to bring their own dish. I'd think with 80+ people coming, others helping would be greatly appreciated! Lol. All I know is...with inviting that many people to your home, you must have a heart of gold (and good stress management). I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas Lavern.
default_wub.png

Ya know guys, give LaVern a break. She is feeding 80 people and that costs a ton of money in the first place. I think the Vegans should just bring their own or eat what is prepared. They are the ones that choose to be different. Do we always have to serve the few? Why are the minorities always coming first in American life lately. They don't like the language...change it. They don't like the dress....Change it. They do not like Christ in Christmas.....Change it to Merry, Merry. They don't like to eat animals that God put on this earth to EAT. Well, lets change that too. There are a few vegans. Let them bring their own or go hungry.

I had to go back and re-read LaVern's original post. Although it might have been an omission on her part, nowhere did she say that they ASKED her to prepare special food -- she said that they called and told her they were vegetarians.

People are ASSUMING that they asked, but I still say they likely were just letting her know so as not to offend. Now, if they truly asked her not to smoke in her own home, then that is indeed poor manners.

But then, it also appears that nobody has read LaVern's last post, which casts an entirely different light on the situation.

Aw Lavern, I'm not sure I know where you are coming from because to me, you are coming across as a meany who is having some joy at being ornary. I have to wonder why on earth you invited these people if you don't want to be a nice hostess to them. Why not at least make an attempt to suck it up, get over the attitude and add a lousy veggie tray and stop being so hostile? What on earth can it hurt? I'm sure someone there can help you throw some lettuce on a dish for pete's sakes and if the truth be known, I'll bet you are an expert at salad type garden stuff. Actually, your menu sounds so good to me as is, I'd love to come over and help you out if I could travel and I'd even make the blasted salad tray.

That being said I do understand in a way that your planned menu has been messed with and that is obviously insulting you. Don't think of it like that. I'm sure no one was out to hurt or insult you in any way. Maybe they just came across badly somehow and didn't realize it was going to upset you.

And that reminds me of the time when......

Here we were down Florida at mothers home back in the 80's having our traditional ham and roast beef with all the trimmings. Mother was a rather "famous" gourmet cook to the stars actually and you did not mess with her food or dare bring a dish or deviate whatsoever from "her" menu. Ever! UNTIL>............she had invited her dear friend Jenny who was alone on that Christmas and just had lost her husband. Well Jenny was quite the Italian cook and unbeknownst to mother, brought over her famous lasagna and some other kinds of Italian dishes, plus desert. Oh brother....it looked like Jenny had provided a whole nother dinner of her own. Well, I thought mother would go through the roof........but instead, mother embraced her dear grieving friend, made room on the table for Jenny's generous contributions and we all thanked her as well. Moral of the story? I really don't know except that it doesn't hurt to be nice and a gracious hostess and love and accept love whenever you can.

Merry Christmas dang it LaVern anyhow
default_wub.png

PS I am going to be dying to hear how this all comes out.

No, I think you guys are wrong. If I go to some ones else's place, I will join in with their traditions and eat their food graciously. Our traditions are-- our food. If they don't like it don't come. I'll meet you in town and we can sit in a no smoking McDonalds and I'll buy you a salad.If prime rib and turkey and ham and barbecue ribs and all the dozens of different traditional foods aren't good enough tough,
Can I come??? Sounds yummy
default_smile.png

Reminds me of the saying "my barn my rules" same thing goes with houses

Something I feel sure of is this is a tradition at Laverns house and the whole family knows it. Not like they dont know in advance there will be lots of meat served and smokers in the house

Good Morning. Marty -maybe you are right. Maybe I just like to be mean and Scroogie. But I think maybe I didn't explain. We live on the original homestead. So- to many in the family this is still home. And rightly so. Their grand parents and great grand parents grew up here. No one has to be invited- they know that they are welcome without an invitation. They just come.

This old place is their heritage too.

But, I think that they owe their existence to the wheat,barley,sheep,pigs,chickens,cattle,that were raised here. Their ancestors that scratched out a living on this frozen old prairie are probably rolling in their graves at the thought of them turning up there noses at beef, when they lived on trapping gophers when they first immigrated.

Oh, we do have a smoking area with fans that go out side.

Rose- If there was one thing that could do it, it would be your biscuits and gravy. Got lots of Aneta seasoned pork sausage in the freezer, come on up.

I find it interesting, and for myself a little sad, after studying many of the worlds cultures that in many places - the Middle East, far East, Pacific Islands, much of Eastern and Western Europe, gosh the list goes on and on....that a guest in your home is treated with honor and respect and it is a huge deal if a guest leaves your home and has not been treated well. In many cultures it's an insult not to extend every courtesy and welcome to a guest. You know the saying "my home is your home". Some of the reactions to this post are sad IMO....seems here in America that so many live a different way - "my barn, my rules".

Just my observations and my 2 cents
default_sad.png

Well LaVern, I think you made a breakthrough here because now I may understand that what you are really talking about may be about preserving tradition, in a round about way.

This old place is their heritage too.

But, I think that they owe their existence to the wheat,barley,sheep,pigs,chickens,cattle,that were raised here. Their ancestors that scratched out a living on this frozen old prairie are probably rolling in their graves at the thought of them turning up there noses at beef, when they lived on trapping gophers when they first immigrated.

And I'm all about family traditions and keeping them sacred whether it be respecting the old homestead and being raised on the animals that they all grew up on.

Please visit my Christmas page...its all about tradition:

http://www.equineobsession.com/bravelittle...9/Christmas.htm

But unfortunately, when these things, sons and daughters marry, and give you grandkids and then they all marry.......you are talking now about decades and generations evolved and grew the family tree and lots of new blood now added in the pedigree. And with that comes change and many differences that we may not like or approve of. Don't get so defensive because they don't want to eat gophers anymore.

Maybe with this extended pedigree, they aren't all straight and upright any more. Maybe some aren't flagging their tails with gusto and spirit, and maybe there's some that aren't as submissive like we would have wanted in our people herd. The tree has branched out and they all are different and things have changed over time, a long time. Guessin' that is what makes the world go round.

We wish, we pray, they would all appreicate and respect what goes on at the old homestead. And I'm betting you they do. I'm willing to guess they appreicate the old values and way it used to be more than you could ever know; their heritage. And that is what they are really comeing back to you for as the matriarch of the family. You are their roots and they know this and that is why they are really coming back. Has nothing to do with your menu.

So let it be dang it and go get some blasted lettuce ready dear lady. They LOVE YOU!

I'm all for balance (within reason).........A green salad, a vegie platter.......etc..... AND, why can't they bring some things too? When ever we participate in big family gatherings, we ALWAYS contribute.

I would take the view that anyone mentioning in advance that they are vegetarian does so with the idea that the hostess should be made aware of the fact so that special menu items will be provided. Otherwise, why mention it?

Possibly so the host/hostess did not take offense that they did not eat many of the bountiful offerings.

When I have guests with special dietary needs, I try to have a couple of items that they can eat and others will also enjoy. Now, some situations cannot be accommodated -- i.e. orthodox Jewish who keep kosher, sorry, just not set up. Several friends of mine are diabetic and I give consideration to them with foods selected, the preparation, etc. I don't have to change my entire buffet, just a couple things
default_biggrin.png

Well, my DH is allergic to anything Cow Dairy and it is every bit as bad as a peanut allergic. Could kill him. I have a diary allergy too but not as bad as DS. However.. I can't eat anything with added salt,, if I did.. would send me to the ER.

One reason I don't go places much,, even when DH was working. I find a lot people that have never had a life threatening food allergy, are willing to understand. I always get.. a little won't hurt you. Yet, they are not the ones that have been rushed to the ER.

So not to put people out, so not to offend anyone when we tell them we can't eat what they made and/or.. so they don't have to have safe food for us. We just don't go anywhere.

When we used to have guests over.. they ate what my family ate. Never knowing there was no added salt or dairy and they loved the food!! Then again, I am used to cooking this way and know how to make good tasting food!
default_laugh.png

When we used to visit my family, wayyyy back when.. we always took a couple of dishes of food over.. Plenty to share and to make sure we had something to eat. Most of my family has some kind of special needs.. so it was no bother.

If the vegans died on their way to your family gathering, would you regret a little bit all this negativity about food choices?

Don't sweat the small stuff. Never know what tomorrow will bring.

Back