It's Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I just found out I not only have some vegetarians coming for Christmas, but also some Vigens (my computer doesn't even know how to spell it). They even called and told me. Well, it will be a hot day in North Dakota, in December, before I am going to serve some of that artificial junk that the body doesn't know what to do with, to company. I am going to put more butter and cream in stuff than ever. And the roast is going to be big and very rare. And there is going to be more eggs used and every vegetable is going to have cheese on it. And after is all done, I am going to light up the old corn cob pipe and puff like crazy. Thanks for letting me vent. And no more of this happy holidays stuff. [SIZE=14pt]It is Christmas.[/SIZE] Oh, I feel better already.

You GO GIRL!!!!
default_cheers.gif
Tell it like it is!! I enjoyed your vent and am glad you feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, gee whiz
default_laugh.png
A veggie tray would be easy to do and great for EVERYONE
default_rolleyes.gif
Just some prep time, no cooking for that one.
default_biggrin.png
Baked sweet potatoes are very high vit/min and can be thrown in the oven while other things bake.

Come on -- it's Christmas
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
BUT....your vent is OK !!!!
default_laugh.png

You go girl!

Frankly, I wouldn't even know what to serve if I had to prepare a vegetarian Christmas dinner. I think it would take more than a veggie tray and a few baked potatoes. I'm afraid that here they would get what I fix--which would not be a vegetarian meal at all--and they'd have to bring their own main dish.

MMMMM...Well Cheese WHIZ, kiddo. It is Christmas isn't it? They are guests, aren't they? If thats the case just stick some carrots and celery in a vase and pull out a jar of peanut butter (protein) and u should be set? Not only that u would have a unusual and eatable center piece and what they don't eat u could feed the horses (no waste either) PROBLEM SOLVED
default_saludando.gif

Well my kid is a vegatraian.. not sure why or where it came from I can not remember the last time I ate a vegetable.
default_laugh.png

mashed potatos and salad do well for her at events like that

It sounds to me like you don't even want them to enjoy themselves. My goodness. My hus is a bit of a vegan himself and we don't buy anything artificial; just mostly nice garden things.

I had a bunch of diabetics show up here for dinner once and I would have appreciated if they told me ahead of time. They couldn't eat this and couldn't have that and I felt awful. No one is ever supposed to leave here hungry! At least your vegans were nice enough to inform you! So with the information you have, why not be hospitable since you invited them to be your holiday guests and fix up a nice vegan tray like Bess suggested. Its no trouble and it IS Christmas and they are your guests. Come on, don't be a hostess grinch.

Yes, it is Christmas, what happened to Goodwill to your fellow man?

Vegans are toughish, ask them to bring a main dish, you provide loads of veggies, which will suit the vegetarians as well. Maybe some hummus dip, everyone loves that, just make one without any dairy (not sure there is a hummus without dairy anyway).

Vegans should be used to problems like this and should be happy to share.

Or, in the spirit of the season (the season for giving?) google vegan recipes. You will find loads and you might be surprized at how good the food tastes. At Thanksgiving, we tried a mashed potato dish made with olive oil instead of milk. Didn't taste too bad, kind of good. And no, it wasn't to accomodate vegans, it was an attempt to try something new that might be healthier and lower cal. I am a die hard carnivore but I do respect others' preferences.

It sounds to me like you don't even want them to enjoy themselves. My goodness. My hus is a bit of a vegan himself and we don't buy anything artificial; just mostly nice garden things.
I had a bunch of diabetics show up here for dinner once and I would have appreciated if they told me ahead of time. They couldn't eat this and couldn't have that and I felt awful. No one is ever supposed to leave here hungry! At least your vegans were nice enough to inform you! So with the information you have, why not be hospitable since you invited them to be your holiday guests and fix up a nice vegan tray like Bess suggested. Its no trouble and it IS Christmas and they are your guests. Come on, don't be a hostess grinch.
darn those DIABETICS
default_laugh.png

I don't have anything against vegetarians, or any other people and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, them too. And I wish them all the GOOD WILL in the world. But they can stay home and eat all the celery they want if they don't like what I am cooking. Just don't call me up and tell me what to cook in my house and tell me to go outside and smoke They are so better than thow and get so pushy.

Maybe I should make up a whole bunch of veggie stuff and some noodles and potatoes and set them outside on the picnic table.Yes I am going to do that.. I am even going to put a tree with their presents out there so that they can be ostracized like we unheathy people are made to feel most of the time. HA HA HA

Oh as long as I am shooting off. Most of these veggie relatives look so wimpy they probably couldn't throw 10 bales an hour. Whew-- this stress of the season is getting to me.

I am surprized they would even come visit for any length of time with a smoker.

That would be a deal breaker for me, I quit on Thanksgiving day 1987 after watching my mother die of lung cancer. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anybody, and I will not expose myself to smoke any more. I swore I wouldn't be like that, but it makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a terrible headache, not to mention the stink on my clothes.

Well, don't come for Christmas, because it sure stinks around here then, between the cigarettes and the lutefisk. I wonder if you can get cancer from lutefisk?

Gotta go with Marty on this one.

My sons roomate at college is Jewish so he's not going home for Christmas...so I told my son not to leave him there alone...bring him to our house and I'll make sure that there are plenty of foods here for him other than a nice juicy ham
default_biggrin.png

We're feeding a vegitarian, a Jew, one who eats pig but not cow and then a bunch of meat eating carnivores...oh and two little kids who need everything smushed, mashed and nothing can touch anything else on the plate lol. We also have a Catholic, a Christian a Jew a Buddist an athiest and a few agnostics and we're all respectful of how we each celebrate.

Christmas, the holidays, Santa day whatever you call it or however you celebrate it as is a time for love and caring for our fellow man. It's the one time of the year that we all have an excuse to celebate each other and our differences. ..and to BE KIND.

HEHEHEH LaVern...you need a visit from Marley
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Good grief, LaVern - I'm sure glad you didn't serve Lutefisk that time we had the Ol' Broodmare Roundup Christmas party at your place a few years ago....even my dog turns his nose up at that stinky Norwegian food. Went to the Lut'ran church a few days after their annual Lutefish dinner and couldn't get the stench out of my clothes after 2 washings!!! Oh, but that standing rib roast, now that was a meal fit for royalty....all that prairie raised beef......YUM !! And all that protein gave us energy to stay up and talk into the WEE hours of the morning.

No, I think you guys are wrong. If I go to some ones else's place, I will join in with their traditions and eat their food graciously. Our traditions are-- our food. If they don't like it don't come. I'll meet you in town and we can sit in a no smoking McDonalds and I'll buy you a salad.

If prime rib and turkey and ham and barbecue ribs and all the dozens of different traditional foods aren't good enough tough,

Ask them to bring their favorite dishes to share, that's easy and takes all the burden off your shoulders and puts it back on theirs.

Like h e double toothpicks. My kitchen my menu.

If these youngsters want to come from the city to enjoy a down on the farm Christmas they are going to get OUR Down on the farm Christmas, not a down on the farm Vegin Christmas.

Wow.
default_rolleyes.gif
I thought that I was the Christmas grinch!

If I were a vegetarian or a vegan I would not notify someone that was nice enough to invite me to dinner that I needed vegetarian or vegan dishes. However, as a host, I would accomodate them if they let me know in advance. I would accomodate them this time and then, if I felt as strongly as you apparently do about it, I would not extend an invitation to them in the future.

I don't smoke and I won't go to someone's house (especially for dinner) that smokes (but I won't tell them that's why, I just politely turn down the invitation). Sorry, smoking is disgusting, especially when you don't smoke. That said, I absolutely would not allow someone to dictate what I could or could not do in MY OWN HOME.

Since you feel so nasty-strong about this, why not just call the dinner off altogether or uninvite these individuals??? If I felt like that I would let them know how you feel and why you feel that way (so that they know how they "crossed the line", it might teach them some manners) and maybe go as far as to tell them that you retract your invitation. Better than letting them show up and treating them like crap. Think about it, having these nasty feelings about people you are spending Christmas with is NOT Christmas.

My SIL (and my brother til he decided he needed more protein and now will eat meat) is a vegetarian and has been a very long time. The only one in our family and still comes to every family get together where meat is always served. She brings her own "main" dish and eats what she can from the rest.

If you choose not to serve your guests something that they can eat; ask them to bring their own...usually vegans and vegetarians are more than willing to do that. As a hostess, tho, I would think you would be more "hostess-like"...JMO

As far as the smoking goes...while I do not smoke, I do agree that you have the right to smoke inside your own home if you choose to and if someone doesn't like it they can choose not to go to your house...period.

I hope you will change your mind and welcome your guests to your home even with different eating preferences than your own and serve some things that everyone will enjoy.

Merry Christmas!

If I were a guest at someones home for Christmas or any other time for that matter, I would not EXPECT them to make something special for me. I can understand a diabetic as they HAVE to stick to a diet. However, a vegetarian it is a choice. So, IMHO, if you chose not to eat this or that then come and have dinner but bring your own don't tell someone "MAKE A WHOLE SPECIAL MEAL FOR ME". GO TO EXTRA EXPENSE BECAUSE I AM COMING TO DINNER. Then what if you do go to the expense and I don't show. Oh well. And would you really want to eat something that someone made for the first time and they didn't understand how to make it? No, I am with LaVern on this one. If you don't want what is on the menu then bring your own.

Back