Is this legit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
is this legitimate? From ASPC/AMHR ??? It came in an email. I don't remember reading anything about it anywhere.

Charlotte

FINAL REQUEST 

American Shetland Pony Club - American Miniature Horse Registry 

Dear Charlotte Lupton: 

We have not heard from you yet. Work has begun on your 2006 American Shetland Pony Club - American Miniature Horse Registry Membership Directory, an invaluable tool in this world where building and maintaining a strong personal network has become essential.

Right now, a friend could be trying to reach you with important show information, or a former member might wish to drop you an e-mail. The friend you've been thinking about, but never quite had the time to locate, could be within reach if your contact information were up to date in our records. So, please take one minute to complete your one page profile now by clicking here.

I do know that they are putting together this directory however I have not seen this e-mail before. They have just extended the deadline for putting a ad in so it may be legit. I would say if interested, contact the ASPC/AMHR office.

My daughter and I both got the letters too, I had also heard they were doing a directory again, but its also online already.

What kind of information are they looking for?

If it's too personal, I would suspect it's a scam.

MA

I just got that too, and didn't know what to think.....
unsure.gif

I suppose if I had opened either of the last two Journals, I might have been aware of this project before....but

we did receive that same email. It contains a password to get into the directory update, with our correct current info already loaded.

I think Johnny Robb might want to reconsider sending out first emails on a subject with "we haven't heard from you" opening lines, but its just an update for the next scheduled membership directory. which appears to be slightly more elaborate than previous versions.

I just got it today too. Weird as it says "Final Request". I never got an initial request. This is the very first email I've ever received from AMHR/ASPC. The email also talks about receiving instructiions through USPS for submitting pcitures. I never got that either. Strange email!!!

We got it also but I did not click on the links in the email. I copied & pasted the link but have not checked to see what info they wanted yet.......... We also have not received anything before this email.............. Since a lot of spam starts out with the 'final notice' warning I almost deleted it.

Does sound legit then. I read the Journal from cover to cover and don't remembere seeing anything about this though and got nothing in the mail.

What a shame that we have to be sooo suspicious nowadays.
sad.gif

Charlotte

I didn't get the e-mail (probably because AMHR doesn't have my e-mail "officially"??). However, I did get the packet in the mail, & the cover letter is worded the same as your e-mail. That reminds me, I should send in the info--they ask for a couple photos, but I'm not sure I have anything printed up to send.

So, I expect the e-mail is legit. On the other hand, I just got an e-mail from Royal bank asking me to update my account info with them. Ya, right, since I don't have a Royal Bank account, no question there if it's a scam or not!!

i received that too... and thought it was a scam. I couldn't decide one way or hte other so did nothing with it..i've never received a FIRST notice...just sounds so typically "scammish". the AMHR/ASPC really need to rethink about thier e-mail and maybe resend some more "legitimate" sounding e-mails! l;ol

I just got the packwt in the mail to fill out and return within 2 weeks, along with a Photo Relese form to enter photos for the Directory, They also sent stickers to put on the back of the photos that must be on them for them to accept them, I would guess it is legit, In the packet it said I could fill it out the info on line, but I have to mail in the Relese form & pictures with stickers back

i just got the packet in the mail today but i still dont understand it. it was made out to "the parents of kenny baxter" and all it talks about is filling out a questionarre on my son and sending pics of him with horses. Funny thing is i got kenny a card this year and then he changed his mind about showing. so kyle is the only one that shows. At the end it say this directory is something your child will find invaluable. I thought this directory was for farms?? Im so confused

also did you guys notice in the sample pics they sent there is a pic of haley davis but it has a diff farm and owner name??

whole thing is odd.

A few questions just popped in my head

Is This Free or Not

The packet makes it sound free, and the way its written, it sounds like you get all listed for free, but when you go to thier website, It sounds like you have to pay for your listing, which way is it?....

Your Name

Farm Name

Farm Info

Email addy

Address

What two types of show classes you are most acticve in ( ex. - Halter, Driving, etc)

1 achievement listed - ( ex, Nat Champion, Hall Of Fame, etc)

Little Biography thing

One or Two pictures of Horses

Your Status, - Amatur, Youth or Professional

With the cost of printing, I dont see how all this could be free, maybe your name, city, addy, and phone like AMHA did with thier membership directory, but all this???

An example, Not too long ago, American Livestock sent us a simple card to fill out and made it sound free to be included in their "Diversified Farm and Ranch Directory", so we did it, about a week later, they called and asked what kind of advertisig we wanted, dont remember the cost, but it was somewhere around $100 just to have you Farm, Website, City and Phone listed in it, nothing like what AMHR is offering..... And is you got more technical, the prices skyrocketed.

Here is the Letter I got...

Dear William Kellow,

Because so many of you have expressed an interest in rekindeling old friendships or simply staying in touch with each other, The American Shetland Pony Club - American Miniature Horse Registry Membership Directory project is now under way. Its important to us that your listing is as accurate as possible. Please take a few minutes, right now, to fill out the enclosed Membership directory Questionaire to ensure that we have accurate information for your profile.

Your complete listing, In the Biographical Section, will include Amateur or Professional Status, up to 2 disciplins, one award and year award was recieved and preffered email address.. Other sections your name will appear are: Discipline and Geographical.... Even if Pre-printed information is correct, please return the enclosed Membership Directory Questionair as soon as possible. This will confirm that we have accurate information regarding your membership..

In addition, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to provide photographs of your small equine, these photos may be included in the small equine photo gallery, this will be a photo gallery section showing the small equine tyopes, I have enclosed easy to follow photo submission instructions along with photo ID stickers, In addition, Please complete and return the photo release form.

Weve chosen Harris Connect, Inc. To produce our Membership directory. Thier Years of experience ensure a quality publication that will become an invaluable reference for you

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Wishes

Johnny Robb

Director of Marketing

Complete and return the enclose questionair form.

A special envelope is provided, please return within 14 days

Send us a photo or two for your favorite small equine.

you may mail these with your questionair response or take the next several weeks to select your photos, a second envelope is provided to return your photos within 1 month. Be sure to incluse the photo release form

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the e-mail too & updated my info as much as possible. But, what about the people who don't show or who have never won the awards listed (World Championship, National Championship, Hall of Fame, Congress Champion)...they don't give any "option" for none of the above, you must pick one.

I also have never received a "first" notice on this, nor a packet thru the mail.

Seems legit....but they sure are going about this bass-ackwards!
wacko.gif

I also think it's going to end up costing you money if you want any of your photos used!
yes.gif

Okay, here's what I know - I've done several people's directory ads.

The only things that cost are to put in an and to purchase a copy of the directory. Haven't heard yet what the cost per directory will be. From the sounds of it it is going to be a coffee table type hard bound book and they won't do another one for several years. From what I've been told it is going to include more information on each member than the past directories have plus some historical info and a photo section.

My understanding of the mailing is that it is to verify everything is correct and to add some "yearbook" type information about everyone. The pictures you submit *could* be used but won't for sure be used if I'm understanding the mailing correctly. (And I have 4 of them - one for me and one for each of the kids). Pictures are supposed to be ones you or someone in your family has taken - no professional photos, they don't want them even if you have a copyright release according to the letter.

That's a basic run down of what I know at this point.

Well....I have never yet received a mailing! They say the "mailing" explains how you are supposed to send in photos....so how is a person to do this without the mailing????

Latest posts

Back