It's never going to change.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It definetly hasn't been like that for year's Renee - that particular text was written specifically for the new website.

I don't know the exact numbers but I know it's consistently around 1500.

Can't believe the numbers for AQHA, how in the world do they fit them all.

Does anyone show Arabs? I think my friend was telling me their nationals are so big they have a whole separate show for Youth. This maybe should be combined with the numbers?

Do you all really believe that for an advertising campaign costing thousands of dollars no one in the registry is reviewing and OKing the language??

Lewella, who wrote that about us? Surely they would know better, Nationals has nothing to do with ASPC it is a Miniature Horse Show.

I think Lewella meant that this wording was written specifically FOR THE ASPC website....not for the Tulsa advertising....I expect someone (and I have no idea who) has pulled the wording off the website. They had a certain amount of space so used the first part of the wording from the website--when they ran out of space they simply stopped.

From what I have heard....the ASPC/AMHR promotion committee was dissolved and a new one formed--but the new one hasn't yet gotten organized. So, my guess is someone provided the website to whomever is in charge of the Tulsa website--and someone there just picked out some wording to use. That's just my best guess & I could be wrong.

Here you go--from the main page of the registry website, www.shetlandmini.com : The Tulsa website uses the second paragraph; the third paragraph refers to the Miniatures. I really don't think anyone specifically meant to exclude reference to the Minis, it's just that someone copied that one paragraph into the available space and didn't really understand that this particular paragraph didn't really pertain to AMHR Nationals. No great conspiracy to put down the Minis, just an error by someone that probably has no association with ASPC/AMHR and who didn't realize how offended some would be to see the reference to Shetlands instead of Miniatures. I betcha that there was no slight intended!

-----

Fanciers of Shetlands began importing these hardy little ponies from the Shetland Isles and Europe in the late 1800s. Immediately, the earliest enthusiasts embarked on a road to improve the quality of stock by selectively breeding for improvement and, thereby, established a truly American pony. Today’s American Shetland and all its divisions are tributes to the goals of those early pony enthusiasts who sought to create beautiful, elegant and brilliantly animated ponies.

The American Shetland Pony Club was established in 1888 to govern the burgeoning interest in Shetlands in the U.S. Founders wanted to establish the purity of the stock and to maintain a reliable record of pedigrees and transfers for the American Shetland Pony.

Today, the ASPC, Inc., is the oldest small equine registry in existence and one of the oldest equine governing bodies in the United States. In addition to fostering and building the American Shetland over the last 120-plus years, the ASPC, Inc., has established other breeds and divisions under its auspices. It began the Harness Show Pony before the mid-1900s. It allowed for work with the short-lived Americana registry. The organization promoted and supported pony racing in the 1960s and 1970s. ASPC, Inc., established the first American Miniature Horse Registry in 1971. In the 1980s, recognizing member’s fondness for the Shetlands of the 1950s, the ASPC established a Shetland division for that interest and shortly after the millennium, added an additional option for even more historically traditional Shetlands.

In addition to the Shetland divisions and the Miniature Horse registry, today ASPC, Inc., also operates two additional registry divisions that both include options for cross-breeding either Shetlands or Miniatures. The first of those, the American Show Pony Registry offers a thrilling, high-stepping show pony while the National Sport Performance Pony Registry is a perfect place for pony-crosses that excel in sporting pursuits.

----

Call the office on Monday and draw this to their attention and maybe they can get the webmaster to change the wording on the Tulsa site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not realize we had a new promotional commitee, will be watching and hoping they value and promote the AMHR only and ASPC only horse, the single registered horse IS the backbone of the registry and by far the largest source of revenue.

I heard that the promotion budget has been seriously reduced. One source told me it had been cut to $10,000. Another said it had been eliminated. I gather that at the spring BOD meeting there was a small amount of money budgeted for promotion, but then sometime between that meeting and early June the promotion committee was disbanded (without explanation I am told--a letter was sent to the chairperson, who was told that someone new has been appointed and that person would be forming a new committee). I understand that new chairperson didn't accept the position, and as of early July Bruce Abbott took over--he has been in contact with some on the former committee & things are getting going again--

In the e-news sent out recently there was information on webcasts and banners--I think Laurie Villalpando is in charge of those?

So perhaps things will get going soon!

For those interested in numbers for AQHA Congress:

The All American Quarter Horse Congress is the World’s Largest Single-Breed Horse Show.

The show receives more than 17,000 horse show entries and will house more than 8,500 registered American Quarter Horses during its three-week schedule.

The Congress attracts more than 650,000 people to the Columbus area, bringing more than $110 million to the central Ohio economy

It's quite impressive with all the horses, all the hustle-bustle, shows, vendors etc.

Arabians do have a separate National Youth Show as well as a separate Sport Horse National for categories like dressage etc.

1772 horses were entered in the 2011 U.S. National Arabian & Half-Arabian Championship Horse show. It is a breed show and HAs are part of it.

Just as the AMHR show has horses that have Shetland breeding included as many ASPC horses are also AMHR and vice versa.

2012 Arabian Youth Nationals start today... 747 horses are entered.

Could not find a figure for the Sport Horse Nationals.

AQHA also has a separate Youth show. So does APHA.

As far as the original concern goes, I am sure it was not a deliberate attempt at anything and was simply a case of someone there grabbing some info from the website to add to the sign. Nothing more.

The Technology committee worked with the breed committees to develop the text on the new ASPC/AMHR website. If you go read the ASPC/AMHR website you will find that each breed has a very nice write up specific to that breed. As minimore pointed out, whoever put the text up on the Expo's website appears to have just cut and pasted paragraph 2 from the home page of the ASPC/AMHR website. That text is NEW text that was done specifically for the new ASPC/AMHR website so it definitely has not been in use on the Expo's website for years.

Bruce Abbott is the latest head of the Breed Promotion committee. Laurie Villalpando co-chair's the Technology Committee.

Clarifications ....

1) The info is the summary taken from the HOME PAGE of the association's website. It definitely has NOT been on whatever EXPO site is around because that text was specifically written for the new website and has existed fewer than 18 months.

That was not provided text. It was lifted directly off the ASPC, Inc', website's home page.

2) There is no PR person ... or marketing director

3) There is no TRUE breed promo committee. The budget was cut. There is a small actiig committee. The tasks they are taking on and are able to do are very, very, very limited. There will be a press release or two before Nationals and one after Nationals specifically for that.

Last year ... there was a national-oriented press release and local (ie, Tulsa & Oklahoma) oriented press release prior to the show. that helped bring people to the show. We have also gotten local media to come out to the show so it's been covered. Unfortunately, there are many, many, many horse shows year after year after year in Tulsa. With that much saturation, it's pretty difficult to draw in huge numbers. However, you almost always see groups come in, like groups from pre-schools. However, without a gimick, there is only so many locals the press releases & news coverage will bring in. If we don't have but a scant breed promo budget and don't even have budget to do the number of dinners for Nationals exhibitors any more, then it's hard to justify spending $$$ to draw in a crowd.

Still, as of right now, that same basic plan for new releases for the 2012 show as we did for the 2011 show exists ... provided Breed Promo isn't changed yet again. Afterall, there have been 3 acting committee set-up just since March.

Real or professional press releases usually have a standard "boiler plate" of text at the end. The boiler plate is the same for about 95% of the press releases that go out from ASPC/AMHR/ASPR/NSPPR. However, the boilder plate is customized for AMHR Nationals and is ONLY AMHR focused. This entire discussion basically illustrates why special attention was given to those releases.

If I had my way, we'd do a lot more targeted and focused promotion ... not just for AMHR, but for all the divisions, programs, etc. That's one of the reasons I am running for director. Perhaps I can put my degree in marketing for not-for-profits and my background in PR to a little better use.

However ... promotion costs money.

Therefore, I highly encourage members to be vigilant and to help out where they can. THIS is a prime example. Obviously with virtually no budget for PR, no one is able to monitor absolutely every single word mentioned about ASPC/AMHR/ASPR/NSPPR online. However, this was a great catch. Now ..... I hope you follow through. Be proactive. Working together for the greater good we can accomplish so much more.

4) AMHR Nationals is largest small equine show in the country. In fact, it's largest small equine show in the world. It is not the largest horse show in the country.

5) There is definitely not a budget of thousands of dollars for ads. Although I did get a good chuckle out of that. In fact, had to wipe soda off my computer screen and soda came out of my nose when I started to laugh!

6) Yes ... this is the 25th Nationals and next year will be the 25th anniversary. The Historical Committee went out on a limb to get a budget set to start celebration plans/work this year. Somethign we we not able to do for the Congress ... and that's a much longer-running show.

So ... with all of this enthusiasm here, I guess I can expect someone to finally step up and agree to chair the celebration subcommittee for Nationals. YEAH!

Since March, the Historical Committee has wanted to set up subcommittee to do the Nationals anniversary celebration. The committee specifically asked two different people to chair this subcommittee. Both said no. We've been promoting the subcommittee and the need for volunteers in The Journal and in ENewsletters since March.

A budget exists for this year. A general outline of expectations/suggestions is available. We have two people who have volunteered to serve on the subcommittee ... just no one to chair it.

So ... take a look at recent Journals or the Enewsletters. Am excited you all might actually be fired up enough to do a little work on this project. Right now, the historical committee is spread pretty thin with existing projects. So ... take a look at the promo stuff on the project in recent Journals. It will tell you how to volunteer for this project. Otherwise .... there may not be anything done. The permission exists .. the budget exists ... the outline exists ... just not the leadership and the workers so far.

Check out the details in the Historical Committee report in The Journal. Contact info for volunteers is in the column.

Reading the above post by ahrobertspony made me think of something to share, in case it is something that others would want to do. It could help awareness of the Registry and your individual farms.

After the Nationals, you could each send a press release to your local newspaper(s) announcing your horses' results and with some information about what the Nationals are (number of horses, 25th year, etc.). I have done this in the past and the papers printed it.

You can search online and get examples of the proper format for a press release.

In my business, I now spend 6-figures a year in advertising across various media platforms. Even so, I can honestly say, the attention you will get from a FREE press release is measurable.

Jill great idea. I also wonder if they have something in the paper or on the radio that is free that we could put the dates on. These days there are so few things that don't cost a fortune to take the family to, that maybe we could fill those stands. Expecially during youth. Three or four of those people might buy a horse. I could call Tulsa information and find out. Perhaps it has already been done.

Also, it would not take much to invite school for field trips. I would gladly stand for a few hours and talk to kids, if they had good supervison.

I hear you! I also thought it might be especially interesting to people to be able to see the driving and performance classes -- I know we have all been asked "what do you do with them"...
default_yes.gif

Yeah, the performance classes. To new comers and a lot of people, halter is like watching paint dry. Unless your horse or kid is out there.

LaVern, maybe you could think of a catchy exciting sounding sentence or two to suggest to them to change it to? It would surely assist someone in making a quick fix if possible.... Just a thought.. that way too, you are letting them know it needs updated and offering a solution at the same time.
default_firstprize.gif
A win/win situation for everyone!
Awesome attitude! We all need to think like you!!

Latest posts

Back