Is this any concern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodlepill

Reaction score
I have just two mini's a 4 year old and a 1/12 year old. Seems like my 1 1/2 year old lays around more than the other one, now personality wise, the older one is a bit more spirited (but still a very nice boy I can halter in pasture) and the younger is a bit more laid back, very sweet and not spooky at all.

So I figure the younger more laid back is just more comfortable in this world to lay around more????

Just wondering

All my horses have different personalitys. Mine are big and only one mini but all different. My AQHA Mare is the high strung one for sure. My Apha barrel gelding is high strung also but my young gelding and stallion are the laid back nothing bothers them and our mini is great laid back but obviously hates to be alone but is very sweet but has energy also. Loves to run and play. My 2 yr old gelding and 4 yr old stallion lay around and love to soak up the sun. Nothing seems to bother these guys at all so different from my jumpy and MOODY mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wouldn't worry she is still a young one my 3 year old sleeps a good portion of the mornings too I imagine its just a young horse thing (kind of like young children)

Dan.

Hard to answer without knowing more....is his appetite okay, when he's up does he play or is he lethargic? Lots of things factor in and I usually end up going with my gut on these things. If it doesn't feel right to me I have the vet take a look, or at least bounce my concerns off of them.

Jan

Hard to answer without knowing more....is his appetite okay, when he's up does he play or is he lethargic? Lots of things factor in and I usually end up going with my gut on these things. If it doesn't feel right to me I have the vet take a look, or at least bounce my concerns off of them.

Jan
What Jan said - plus how is his weight. Is he pot bellied? Is his coat nice and shiney, or dull and harsh? is he getting his share of the food? Lots of other things to figure in besides how much he's laying down. But's it's great that you are noticing this! This could be nothing, or could be something serious, so it's fantastic that you are noticing the little things about your boys.

Sometimes young ones need more protein.

Depends on what he getting to eat?

Hmmm good things to consider. They are on pasture right now 24/7 but its not very green any more with plenty of exersize. They have hay in the barn but its not the best hay, I really only had it there for them to pick at while the pasture was still ok and till I could get to the better hay in my barn stack. I give them a small amount of safe choice and some whole oats and a bit of hoof guard (I think its called) in the pm to get them on a routine of coming to the barn in the evening and to me when they see me.

The little guy seems fine and I am very sensitive to changes in behavior. He is happy and runs around and plays with the older gelding. they are stuck to each other like glue.

Breeder's I got them from had recent health records

No pot bellies and condition seems fine, I put my hands on them every day and I feel their top lines to monitor weight. Little guy got gelded about 2 weeks ago but he laid around before that anyway.

I have been so concerned with low calorie/sugar/carbs I may have stripped the little guy down too much? I think I will break out the better grass/alfala mix

I want to clarify, he is not laying around lethargic and unhealthy. I just noticed that he lays more than the other one. I guess he is more relaxed and can chill while the other one is a bit more tense.

I'd guess (it is just a guess since I don't know your horses or the details of their lives) that what you are seeing is a young horse who is not the dominant member of his herd and is confidant that the one who is is capable of keeping him safe. He can relax and stretch out to sleep because he has someone watching over him. In my herd the dominant horses rest far less than those lower in the pecking order and only when they feel very sure they are safe.

I'd guess (it is just a guess since I don't know your horses or the details of their lives) that what you are seeing is a young horse who is not the dominant member of his herd and is confidant that the one who is is capable of keeping him safe. He can relax and stretch out to sleep because he has someone watching over him. In my herd the dominant horses rest far less than those lower in the pecking order and only when they feel very sure they are safe.

Thanks, yes the older one is the "boss" and actually stands right by or isn't far away from the younger one when he is laying down. The were best buddies (see profile pic was that afternoon of introduction) right away when I introduced them together.

They look very content together
default_smile.png
I always like to see horses buddy up, its very good for their mental health IMO
default_yes.gif

This was my first thought as well. The yearling is acting like a typical teenager and leaving all of the responsibility to the older horse
default_yes.gif
. As he gets older, you'll probably see him start to stand guard more often while the older horse rests. I see this behavior all the time in my herd.

I too agree with Reignmaker, He sounds alot like my teenage son (any excuse to slope off and do nothing)

My sons ponies are out 24/7 and they often lay around in the morning sun. My mini's are in at night and therefore don't feel the need to siesta.

Yes, I did check to see if she is alive!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I too agree with Reignmaker, He sounds alot like my teenage son (any excuse to slope off and do nothing)

My sons ponies are out 24/7 and they often lay around in the morning sun. My mini's are in at night and therefore don't feel the need to siesta.

Yes, I did check to see if she is alive!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How cute, he's all zonked out! I have seen this in my pasture too.

Back