Is this an old wives tale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodlepill

Reaction score
I heard this from a mini owner..............."When the tail touches the ground then they've quit growing"

My little guy is 32" and he's 1 1/2 years old and his tail IS touching the ground. I actually wouldn't mind if he grew another inch or two. Any hope?

I've heard the same thing from someone who I consider to be an expert when it comes to her knowledge of miniatures (used to show on a national level, among other things). I'm too new at this to say I agree for sure. It does seem to be the case with my 2 (almost) 3 yr old.

I've never seen any factual proof of this, and when you think about it it doesn't seem very logical since hair has no relation to the horse's skeletal structure. Not to mention, does that mean my thin-haired senior horses with shorter tails are still growing? Just another funny mini myth I guess.

My gelding as a yearling his tail touched the ground, as a 2 year old his tail still touched the ground but he continues to grow. As a yearling at Nationals he measured 29.50" this year 31.75". So my guess is no.

I think your 1.5 year old will still be growing and would personally trim his tail so it dows not touch the ground.

I hate it when their tail wicks up water and gets stepped on when it is too long.

I've never heard this one but how fun to keep track of from now on. Just a wives tail just like the ring/nail/needle on the string to see if prego tests. But always fun.

With the ring test... Its been wrong twice so far with me through the yrs.

and for the tail myth, I finally kept a foal all to myself in 2009. I would say it her tail tuched the ground at 28" this spring. And the other day when I went and checked if she had grown any... NOPE still 28" on the dot so so far that's 100% true for me
default_smile.png

Always fun!!!

Will be doing the ring test on my mares Saturday
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an old wives tale.

The length and thickness of manes/tails depends on genetics. Some horses have very thin tails which will NEVER hit the ground, but that doesn't mean they will never stop growing skeletally!

Others are blessed with long, thick tails.

Andrea

It's an old wives tale.

The length and thickness of manes/tails depends on genetics. Some horses have very thin tails which will NEVER hit the ground, but that doesn't mean they will never stop growing skeletally!

Others are blessed with long, thick tails.

Andrea

true
default_yes.gif
Ive seen some appy bred minis with very short thin tails -it definately isnt true for them lol

I'll have to take a picture when I get home but my 8 month old filly has the super grow tail. It is almost touching the ground already. I'm pretty sure she's not done growing.

I'll have to take a picture when I get home but my 8 month old filly has the super grow tail. It is almost touching the ground already. I'm pretty sure she's not done growing.

I've heard this too, only I think it is an old wives tale. I have had yearlings that their tail has touched the ground only to grow and inch or two more, their tail along with them. We have a stallion and his tail drags the ground a good 12 inches, and others that their tails are just not as thick and long. It is a genetic thing, all are different.

darn, should have tried this with my daughter, but I have been cutting her hair all along! She is 13 now, I bet ya I could have stopped buying her clothes 3 years ago if I knew she wouldn't have grown any more!

All poking fun aside, I have heard this, but don't put much stock in it. I am sure that it is coinsidental in many cases, many minis' tails will touch the ground between 1.5 and 2 years old, the same age the growing slows down.

Well, guess I'm the oddball here but I think it holds some truth. Specifically for the smaller horses. Could just be coincidence but I had heard this early on so I've always kept an eye on the tail lenghts in relation to their mature heights. For my horses that have matured 30" or under, almost all reached their mature height right when their tails reached the ground. For my babies that have matured taller, it didn't hold true as often. Either way, it's fun to think about and I enjoy watching the tails and seeing how often it holds true for my horses.

Fun to hear all the replies, probably split down the middle on if its true or not LOL. I guess only time will tell for my little guy, he does have a thicker mane and tail so I'm hoping its not true and he gets a little taller.

I wouln't think that this is true. My gelding's tail is dragging the ground about 6 inches.

If you think about it, as the horse growes very little the tail is still growing. Even after it reaches the ground. IMO, it is just a myth.

Latest posts

Back