Is there any reason

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
I have a yearling colt that is covered in spots. Not just his little man parts, but everywhere. He also has a few stripes on his hooves.

I thought he might be appy until I heard that the only way to get appy color is if one parent shows appy characteristics. I don't know of any apps in his pedigree.

I can't post pics, but if someone would post them for me that would be great. I wet him down and took a pic so that you could really see his spots, since they don't actually come out in his coat color.

I have heard of that happening before. They can have spots. It is rare, but every now and then it will happen.

I'm not positive about mini's, but in the big horse world, CPO'd horses (those with no appy characteristics) can and do pass color to their foals. I can't imagine it being different in the mini world. I'm sure someone with more mini appy knowledge will post.

I'd be happy to post your picture if you want to send it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably get a variety of answers on this, but yes, it could happen. Some folks do not recognize the appy characteristics either. I know someone who bought a solid horse that had white sclera (as some non appies do) and if you looked CLOSELY, had a couple of stripes on the feet.... and threw a couple of appy babies. He was registered as just a solid colored horse, and I have found MANY Minis that are registered as a 'sorrel' that are actually Appy, as they had the characteristics but just were recognized by someone who didnt know.

Have you seen the horses parents in person? Any sclera? Striping? I have a mare that has mottling inside the lips, you have to pull them apart a bit to see it.

Do you get the MHW? There is a great article in there regarding some new things that have come out with much research.

His daddy has NO appy characteristics and no apps in his background what so ever.

I have his mom and she has one white stripe on one foot. It's about a quarter of an inch thick. She has no other characteristics that I can see. I also met her mom in person and she has no characteristics that I could see. I've only seen her daddy in pictures and none that I could tell there either.

What base colour is he??

Go on the

http://www.equinecolor.com/forum/

and look at Bend Or spots.

Most of, if not ALL the supposedly "appy" animals form non Appy parents are Bend Or spots.

They can cover the whole body and all my Chestnut colts have them.

You are correct in supposing that non Appies cannot throw Appies but they can throw mimics- as the pictures will attest

bendor4.jpg

and then there are Birdcatcher spots

brdctch5.jpg

brdctch4.jpg

BOTH these animals come from breeds with NO "appy" in them whatsoever so there is no chance of misidentified animals.

There is however, that chance in Minis and unless you personally know every animals in the pedigree I would not trust the colours on a pedigree form at all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a grey. If I had to guess I would say that he is black based, but I'm not good with color genetics. He's the one in my avatar.

IF the color actually came out in his coat he would be a near leapard app, but it's just his skin.

Since you say he is gray, could it be possible he is just going through the flea-bitten graying stage? Flea-bitten greys are grey horses that have red or black specks/spots throughout their body .. Do they look like this?

fleabitten1.jpg

(Picture courtesy of Equine Color)

No it's not fleabitten. He's had black ink spots on his skin since birth. It's not actually in his coat color at all.

Thanks Appylover! It's hard to see in the pics, but he has mostly pink skin. There are large ink spots on his belly and privates. The areas that look grey in the pics are actually just very dense speckling on his neck and flank area.

If he weren't wet he would look like he does in my avatar.

Back