Is there any hope?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nila, well two of the problems that we have at the moment, are:

First, since we moved the (large) horses and ponies across to where our new barn is, we only have one fenced area for them. We have not gotten any other pens in yet, so Laddie is not on his own. Crackling wrappers (yes they know what it means, we give ours candy canes at Christmas
default_smile.png
) would bring all of them pushing in around us and Laddie being low on the totem pole in the herd, would not come close enough. We have tried before when they were on the house side of the road, with a grain bucket, carrots etc. but he would never fall for it. He really is a smart boy.

Second, we are afraid to put the others in and keep Laddie out to work with him, because he has always gone to great lengths (since long before we had him) to escape people, and my fear is that he will get on the road ( it is a fairly busy one) or that he will damage himself trying to get over the fence. Unfortunately for us he was a great little jumper when he was used by the previous owner's son in the Pony Club. Here he has never had to work at all, and still catch and release has not worked. We could do the reverse and put everyone out and keep him in, but we can always catch him if he is cornered inside, it is outside we have the problem, and want to get him so we can catch him without bringing everyone else in first.

We have put in posts but no fence yet for a larger pasture for the group, and also have cleared an area for a smaller pen, which we will build with good high fences he can't get tangled in trying to get out of.

One thing Jane mentioned, is him needing a "special person", and Jess also mentioned her daughter being the only one who can catch her pony. Just out of curiosity, we had our youngest son, who rarely has anything to do with the ponies other than help feed them but who caught Laddie once before when he escaped, try to pet him this morning. To our astonishment, Laddie stood and Mike was able to touch his rump and move his hand up along his back to his neck, and drape an arm over it, get hold of his halter (yes I know, I am a believer in removing halters too but we need one on this guy in case he gets loose outside the barn) and turn him around. He did this inside the barn, but Laddie did not try to get past him so perhaps he will let Mike approach him outside too. It never dawned on me to have one of the boys try, The place he came from he gave them the runaround every time, but he has not seen his "boy" in two years, perhaps he misses him!! Mike has never been very interested in the large horses (he adores the minis) but I think he is so pleased that Laddie let him get hold of him, that we might have found his special person!
default_yes.gif
:

We have a couple of mini mares that are hard to get, and a Shetland mare who used to like taking us on a goose chase, but they have all improved. This boy has refused to give in up till now.

gosh i remember reading a book about a welsh just like yours...... actually we had one in our yard a wee 3yr old wild colt and because there were so many kids walking by patting him he became a trusted pony, he would give kisses for carrots, in fact he was my minis best friend at the time, i used to let my wee stallion out for a wander as i was cleaning his stable and he would rear up at the door looking for jack, and they would nikker at each other for ages, i absolutley love the breed, the are perfect, especially for children ...

good luck with your venture id certainley love to hear more of the developments as they happen

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used both kays and rabbits methods and both worked fantastically, as long as I used them on the right horse.

The method i use most is similar to Kay's. i do it right in the field where the horse lives, whether there are other horses around or not. I just focus on the horse I want to catch and if he tries to play the game with me I whap him on the rear with the lead rope and make him start running. Then i just keep walking calmly towards him and if he acts like he is going to play the game again then whap with the lead rope and send him off again. It can be REALLY exhausting in a large pasture, I know, but as soon as the horse learns 1) you will never give up and 2) you will never let him rest until you catch him.... suddenly he will want you to catch him because it is less work on his part. I once spent two weeks doing this every single day with an imported three day event horse who was TERRIBLE to catch, it took me HOURS every day, especially since this horse was freakishly fit from competition and it took a LOT to exhaust him.... but in the end he turned out to be the easiest to catch horse on the farm.

Hi Rori, I think Laddie is only reluctant to go in the barn because he knows we can get him once he is in there. Laddie was only pastured with one other horse the last year he was at the previous farm, and he was still bad to catch. In fact the day we were going down to get him, we had to postpone as she had not been able to get him in the barn.

Sady, his dam, is the pony in the second photo, they are almost identical in height, colour and face markings, except that she has some roaning over her hind quarters, and he has none, and their leg markings are different.

When I look at her papers the numbers start with A, so does that mean section A, the same as AMHR papers? (sorry I really know nothing about the registries for Welsh, we have never even changed her ownership, which I guess I really should still do) All the numbers on the horses behind her start with A. We have no paperwork for Laddie, but he is only slightly taller than his dam.

Sady's registered name is Grand Isle Sady, and her ped says:

Sire - Holl-Star's Fairview Duke

(names behind him are: Fairview Little Tim, After Hours Minuet, Fairview Blazing Lad, Fairview Little Jodie, Windsor Radium, and Fairview Dorothy)

Dam - Bramblewood Just Mary

(behind her: Crilban Golden Master, Chalkrill Pearl, Masters Carmel Kreem, Masters Dainty Lady, Coed Coch Gwrgan, and Brierwood Pearl)

Once again please forgive my ignorance, as I have no idea who is who in the world of Welsh Ponies, so I don't know who they are.

edited because I typed too fast and made mistakes...as usual!

917275971108_0_ALB.jpg

824905403108_0_ALB.jpg

Here is a picture of Rachel and Ziggy....Like I said we've tried everything with him and the only thing that works with him is letting Rachel get him....His attitude with her is so different then it is towards anyone else...If he wasn't such a wonderful pony with her he'd be rehomed as he is a total PITA to everyone else..I remember my welsh I had growing up was the same way....They seem to form really strong bonds with THEIR person and once that bond is formed it's unbreakable....Ziggy will always have a home here even when Rachel outgrows him....Even though there are times I threaten to go get the gun when she's not here and I need to catch him....He really is a good pony....I also bet if your pony forms a bond with one of your children your problems will end....No it doesn't fix the problem but it makes it tolerable for all involved....I've trained horses for 20 of my 32 years and nothing I've tried with him works long term other then letteing her catch him and rather then get frustrated with him I don't even bother to try to catch him unless I absolutley have to and Rachel isn't here.......

Sorry Jess, the picture didn't show for me. Your daughter must be thrilled to know that this pony has chosen her to be his friend
default_smile.png

She is thrilled and I bet if Laddie and Mike form a bond life will be easier on everyone....I do love welsh ponies but they are too smart for their own good sometimes....I've even resorted to going out with no halter,no lead rope a bag of marshmellows in hand wraping my arms around his neck wiggling out of my shirt and leading him too the barn in my bra.....NOT a pretty sight....Thank God we don't have any close neighbors!!!

She is thrilled and I bet if Laddie and Mike form a bond life will be easier on everyone....I do love welsh ponies but they are too smart for their own good sometimes....I've even resorted to going out with no halter,no lead rope a bag of marshmellows in hand wraping my arms around his neck wiggling out of my shirt and leading him too the barn in my bra.....NOT a pretty sight....Thank God we don't have any close neighbors!!!
:risa_suelos: :new_rofl: :new_rofl:

sorry but that is too funny.

Well as for the catching...the other option is to just forget about catching him.........I am sort of serious as I knew of a horse who just kinda lived out it's days ONLY being rounded up for routine hoof trims and vetting and otherwise just was a pasture ornament.

Warpony's method can work with some........in your case you may be there a few days
default_wink.png
: I tried that technique with one and after 4 hours in a 1 acre pasture in the sun I decided heat stroke wasn't worth it not too mention I really had to pee :bgrin the next day I herded that horse into the barn then put it in the roundpen where said horse couldn't get as far away.
default_wink.png
:

this honestly is one of the traits that has led me to sell/place a horse I just do not have the desire to screw around with horses who won't be caught, I am getting to old and just do not want to deal with that when there are perfectly catch-able horses in the world
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

OH and Sady is an A section and I recognize a few of those lines.......just to give you a quick intro to welsh sections........

A is the smallest (typically) B is the show pony, C is the small cob (pony of cob type) D is the big cob........now lets see if I remember this right...........section A to section A = A.....section A can be bred to section B and produces B, section A can also be bred to section C and produce a C and C and D can also be interbred and I think register in the section for their resulting height................................and y'all thought shetland and amhr was confusing
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

I've even resorted to going out with no halter,no lead rope a bag of marshmellows in hand wraping my arms around his neck wiggling out of my shirt and leading him too the barn in my bra.....NOT a pretty sight....Thank God we don't have any close neighbors!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is hysterical!

Runamuk, we have more than one pasture ornament here
default_rolleyes.gif
: Laddie is one of them, he truly was not wanted anywhere, and we resisited for awhile before agreeing to take him. (we had a choice when we bought Sady, between her and him, and after hearing how good he was at escape and evasion, took Sady!)

Then two years ago, the poor lady had recently lost her husband and had so much to deal with, and the only other option was to ship him, so we went and got him. He might make a nice driving pony, I need someone to teach me how to drive. Was supposed to go to one of Kim's (Willowwood Stables) clinics near Ottawa a long time ago, but in the end it was on a holiday weekend and I couldn't get anyone to cover me taking the time off from work, so my hubby and daughter went instead. My daughter is now away at college, and I think Randy can show me the basics. Need a cart and harness (actually I have a leather harness that might fit him, just need a bridle and bit) and a bit of instruction, and perhaps Laddie will be put to some use. Even if he isn't however, it would be nice to catch him without having to round them all up.

Thanks for the info on the A, B, C and D, it is more confusing than I thought!
default_wacko.png
:

What type of fencing does he have? Is he good with electric fence?

Warpony's method can work with some........in your case you may be there a few days
default_wink.png
: I tried that technique with one and after 4 hours in a 1 acre pasture in the sun I decided heat stroke wasn't worth it not too mention I really had to pee :bgrin the next day I herded that horse into the barn then put it in the roundpen where said horse couldn't get as far away.
default_wink.png
:
:lol: yeah, some horses do have a lot more endurance then any normal human being can compete with. Luckily I haven't personally run into one yet, but the trainer I worked with had one that just never gave up. She spent an entire day following that stupid horse before she gave up, then spent several hours the next day and finally she just gave up completely. She did basically the same thing you did, got him into the riding arena where he couldn't get so far away.... He always remained a little hard to catch, but I honestly don't know WHAT she could have done with that horse. He was just too smart for his own good. I found that if I caught another horse first THEN caught him he would think we were going in for dinner and would walk right up to me. But if you went out and didn;t trick him into coming up to you then you would be out there for hours trying to catch him. He was very nice in almost every other way but I ended up really disliking him because of that trait.

this honestly is one of the traits that has led me to sell/place a horse I just do not have the desire to screw around with horses who won't be caught, I am getting to old and just do not want to deal with that when there are perfectly catch-able horses in the world
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
Same here. I would make an exceptoin for a rescue horse that I wasn't going to be using anyway, and would just make sure to do anything I needed to do to him on the few occasions i COULD catch him, but for a horse I planned to actually use if I couldn't fix the issue I'd pass him onto someone else who didn;t mind it as much as I did.

i havnt read all these replies yet..

i have a pony like this at the moment...she will literalyy go through a brick wall to evade capture.......i have been doing alot of work with her,,, just trying to gain her trust...going to the field morning and night and giving her a little treat from my hand and a little pat and scratch.......but i couldnt do this a little while ago...she wouldnt come near me for love nor money.......so it took several people to herd her into a pen.. suurounded by 7 foot high gates all around..(its used for bulls?)..

i left her there on her own for two weeks.. just going to her with hay water and a carrot.. from my hand to get her used to my hand approaching her face without catching........i also left a rope on her headcollar... at first long enough so i could step on it.. but later as she calmed down a bit i shortened it... about 2 ft long with a knot and the end so it wont slip out of my habd when i get it...

i have now got up to letting her out with her pal again...but she still has the short rope on...as i can get her with this,, but not directly holding the headcollar..................

i suppose its just a time consuming process.......

My daughter's first pony was an aged POA mare. She had been there, done that, had closets full of t-shirts that didn't fit anymore, and was just plain all-around fed up. Catching her took a minimum of 30 minutes every day. I was ready to find her a new home. Then it came time for fall vaccinations. We managed to get her caught, gave the two geldings their shots, and then it came time for Princess's. I swear, she nearly fainted. It was horrible! And she was the maddest equine I have ever seen. She refused her apple, which she normally would practically run you over to get (once she was caught) and just stood there breathing heavy like someone who is absolutely furious. The next day we went out there and she walked right up to us. Never played hard-to-catch again. We have no idea what caused the change but were certainly relieved. We now have an Arab stallion who has to play Catch Me If You Can for a few minutes and then he walks right up to you (we've found that this is common in Arabs, they love to play). We also have a Pinto/Arab mare who was impossible to catch when she came to us. She was given to our neighbor, papers and all, because the previous owners couldn't catch her. The behavior continued with the neighbor so she sold her to us for next to nothing. We started off by getting her to follow us into her stall with a bucket of feed and then, after she finished eating, haltering her, leading her back out to the pasture, where we removed her halter and let her go. We didn't ask anything else of her. After a few days she would walk into her stall without the bucket of feed. After a couple of months we could walk up to her in the pasture and pet her for a few moments. A few months after that and she would walk up to us in the pasture to be petted. Now she follows us around like a puppy and wants attention all the time:). We've had a couple of other hard-to-catch horses that we did the same with, although she was an extreme case. With some horses, its just a game and when they get tired of playing chase they'll walk up to you. For others, its more than likely that they equate being caught with something bad. All I can say, a million words later, is be patient and let him know he's loved. Good luck and I hope he and your son continue to bond. Ponies are great for kids:)

Sorry, have been offline for the most part for a few days...lots going on.

Dimi, we have the large horses and ponies fenced with three strands of electric (white rope electric), with the top strand set high enough to discourage him and my daughter's Saddlebred gelding from jumping it. I would not however put it past Laddie, who is very determined when trying to get away, to try diving between the strands.

Latest posts

Back