Is Robin pregnant?? *better bag photo #21*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Okay, so some of you may know that I just aquired my first two miniature horses. Batman is a 2 year old black and white tobiano soon-to-be gelding. Robin is a 5-6 year old sorrel and white mare. They have been together for the past year at least. I was told that he had not dropped and that is why they had not gelded him. The first thing I did when I went to see him was feel around to see, and sure enough, he HAS dropped.

I called my vet today to see if she had a way to check Robin to see if she is in foal. She said that she hasn't had the best of luck with miniatures, but she can come out and do an ultrasound on her and see if we can see anything.

The best part of all this? I asked her what she charges for an ultrasound. She said, "well I normally charge $45 dollars, but since I don't normally have the best of luck with them, I will just do it for you so we can see"
default_new_shocked.gif
I was ecstatic to hear that it was only $45! LOL. I told her that I was afraid she would say $200 so I would gladly pay $45, lmbo
default_yes.gif
But, she just laughed and said nah, she doesn't go crazy.

So, anyway, we are waiting for this crazy wind to die down and then she will come out and do an ultrasound to see what we can see
default_biggrin.png

I have been working on feeling for a bag, but Robin isn't very tolerant. Today, I haltered her and tied her up and distracted her with treats so I did get closer that I have before before she would get annoyed. There is a good bit of "puffiness" infront of the udder but only a little, if any swelling in the udder itself. I still haven't been able to get a good enough feel to tell for sure though. I took a picture the other day which shows no swelling at all...and I swear I felt more today than the picture showed a couple of days ago, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, here are some pics of the Fatosaurus...Oh, and I might add that she is quite overweight...so that maybe all that this is...

From behind.

February2011569.jpg

Side shot.

February2011524-1.jpg

Front.

February2011515.jpg

The only udder shot I could get...doesn't help that they hair is in the way
rolleyes.gif

February2011503-1.jpg

Batman.

February2011290.jpg

So, anyway, I will be updating this once this once the vet comes out an does an ultrasound...in the mean time, what do you think? Preggo or not??

Last edited by a moderator:
Your title scared me!! My name is Robin
default_laugh.png

Is the ultrasound going to be an internal ir extrernal one?

I wanted to say, weather she is or isn't, it's a GREAT idea to get her used to an accepting of having her udder touched! Not just for letting you touch it, but so if she ever has a foal, she doesn't kick at it when it tries to nurse. I had a maiden mare last year (that I didn't raise) and she was a rearing, nasty horror! Broke my knuckle before the baby was able to nurse.

Please do let us know what you find out!
default_yes.gif

default_laugh.png

Is the ultrasound going to be an internal ir extrernal one?

I wanted to say, weather she is or isn't, it's a GREAT idea to get her used to an accepting of having her udder touched! Not just for letting you touch it, but so if she ever has a foal, she doesn't kick at it when it tries to nurse. I had a maiden mare last year (that I didn't raise) and she was a rearing, nasty horror! Broke my knuckle before the baby was able to nurse.

Please do let us know what you find out!
default_yes.gif

Hah! Sorry about that
default_wink.png

I honestly am not sure if it is external or internal...I will ask that next time I talk to her.

I do plan on getting her used to being touched, for sure! She is already getting better about it. I need to buy some more treats to bribe her with, lol. Thanks for the tip and I will surely keep you guys updated!!

Gee, she doesn't look fat to me...you should see some of mine....SCAREY!!
default_new_shocked.gif

She has such a sweet little face, trendy haircut.
default_rolleyes.gif

Hope all goes well and the answer is the one you want.

Gee, she doesn't look fat to me...you should see some of mine....SCAREY!!
default_new_shocked.gif

She has such a sweet little face, trendy haircut.
default_rolleyes.gif

Hope all goes well and the answer is the one you want.

Hehe...well, those photos don't show it very well, but she is a chunker. Here is another one that shows a little better
default_wink.png

February2011297.jpg

Yeah...the haircut, is NOT my favorite, but she is cute either way, lol. I don't know why anyone cut her bangs like that...

I know it would be best if she was not in foal, but I can't help but hope she is...I would LOVE to have a mini baby, and trust me, it would be going no where! lol

I always start by itching their butts for them. Once they relax and enjoy that, I itch down lower on the "bun". Each time I walk by my horses, I pet them or itch rumps. They all love it!

Anyway, once she is relaxed and enjoys that, let your itching hand go a little to the inside of their thigh. A little at a time over time and soon gently touch the udder, then continue itching rump. Keep doing that and soon they won't mind being touched.

My foals are used to being touched all over, girl and boys! Except then they want to sit on my lap for heiney itch time!
default_laugh.png

When the mare is grown as yours is, you have to take your time. Make it part of "feel good" time instead of her getting mad at being touched out of nowhere.
default_smile.png

I always start by itching their butts for them. Once they relax and enjoy that, I itch down lower on the "bun". Each time I walk by my horses, I pet them or itch rumps. They all love it!

Anyway, once she is relaxed and enjoys that, let your itching hand go a little to the inside of their thigh. A little at a time over time and soon gently touch the udder, then continue itching rump. Keep doing that and soon they won't mind being touched.

My foals are used to being touched all over, girl and boys! Except then they want to sit on my lap for heiney itch time!
default_laugh.png

When the mare is grown as yours is, you have to take your time. Make it part of "feel good" time instead of her getting mad at being touched out of nowhere.
default_smile.png

Thanks! I do try to scratch her butt, but she generally walks away, lol. I will start trying it when she is tied up though. I generally start from the front. I scratch her neck and then her back and then her belly, and then slowly work my way backward. Today, I distracted her with treats and that worked pretty darn well. I will try the bum scratching though! Thanks again
default_biggrin.png

First if you dont want to her get preggo you need to seperate them. If he is down, and she isnt bred she will be in no time.

That said, if she is bred being they have been together for a long time she could be short bred, or long bred. SHe could be bred but it not show up as she is to short.

First if you dont want to her get preggo you need to seperate them. If he is down, and she isnt bred she will be in no time.

That said, if she is bred being they have been together for a long time she could be short bred, or long bred. SHe could be bred but it not show up as she is to short.
Unfortunately, I do not have a way to separate them at this time. He will be gelded within the next month, as soon as we get some steady good weather. If she is bred, I have done TONS of research and I am confident that I can handle it. I will also have my vet on standby incase I need assistance. I know that miniature foaling is very different from larger horses and that they can have many more problems.

Now, my next question is what should I be doing, nutrition wise, if she is pregnant? She is already pretty chunky, so right now, they are only getting hay. Is there something that I can give her that won't add to the chunk? Thanks!

The first pictures you posted of them, I thought she looked a little round.. I would say she is! I would get the Vet to check for sure and then start gradualty adding some mare and foal feed as it is higher in calcium and other vitimins needed in late stage.
default_yes.gif

I would also say she looks as though she might be in foal, but can see no reason to panic as she certainly doesn't look anywhere near a foaling date! I would even go on to say that as Batman is now 2 and not going to be gelded for another month, then you will soon see if she is in foal as she should come into season/or you will see him taking an 'interest' in her!

Also as Robin is nowhere near foaling (IMO) can your vet test in another way if you feel you need to know right now, as if she is not too experienced with mini or doesn't have the right mini equipment, then perhaps another way would be better rather than risk damage to Robin? (also if Robin is not yet too easy to handle then doing an ultrasound may well cause her upset and set back your efforts to be 'friends')

Just some thoughts to be considered, by the way I think you have two very special new minis there.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

I called my vet today to see if she had a way to check Robin to see if she is in foal. She said that she hasn't had the best of luck with miniatures, but she can come out and do an ultrasound on her and see if we can see anything.
No guess as to whether or not she's got something cooking in the oven. Just wanted to comment that my vets simply refuse to ultrasound my miniatures. This is a large, extremely well-known horse clinic, and has a stellar reputation. People travel from hours and hours away just to bring their horses to this clinic. And I love it because every vet there is a long-time horse owner. But they just refuse to ultra-sound! They say my horses are too small to do it safely. I am probably the only farm that has minis in this area. I know they see a few here and there, but mine is the only breeding farm. I just wish I could get an ultrasound done every now and then!

default_laugh.png

default_risa_suelos.gif
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The first pictures you posted of them, I thought she looked a little round.. I would say she is! I would get the Vet to check for sure and then start gradualty adding some mare and foal feed as it is higher in calcium and other vitimins needed in late stage.
default_yes.gif
Thanks! Will the extra feed make her more fat if she turns out to be not pregnant??

I would also say she looks as though she might be in foal, but can see no reason to panic as she certainly doesn't look anywhere near a foaling date! I would even go on to say that as Batman is now 2 and not going to be gelded for another month, then you will soon see if she is in foal as she should come into season/or you will see him taking an 'interest' in her!

Also as Robin is nowhere near foaling (IMO) can your vet test in another way if you feel you need to know right now, as if she is not too experienced with mini or doesn't have the right mini equipment, then perhaps another way would be better rather than risk damage to Robin? (also if Robin is not yet too easy to handle then doing an ultrasound may well cause her upset and set back your efforts to be 'friends')

Just some thoughts to be considered, by the way I think you have two very special new minis there.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna
I agree with you, if she is bred, I don't think she is due for a while. That is fine with me though, as I would rather it be nice and comfy temperature wise.

When I called the vet, I basically asked her if she had any way to check if a miniature mare was in foal. She is the one that suggested the ultrasound. I figure if she comes out and we can't tell from the US, that I will ask her if there is any other way we can tell. Robin is a good little girl. She is pretty tolerant with being handled other than me wanting to touch her udders. I will be working on that every day until the vet comes out so she gets used to it a little before then.

Thanks for all of the advise
default_smile.png

No guess as to whether or not she's got something cooking in the oven. Just wanted to comment that my vets simply refuse to ultrasound my miniatures. This is a large, extremely well-known horse clinic, and has a stellar reputation. People travel from hours and hours away just to bring their horses to this clinic. And I love it because every vet there is a long-time horse owner. But they just refuse to ultra-sound! They say my horses are too small to do it safely. I am probably the only farm that has minis in this area. I know they see a few here and there, but mine is the only breeding farm. I just wish I could get an ultrasound done every now and then!
I'm sorry to hear that your vet doesn't US your miniatures
default_sad.png
It would probably make things a lot easier for you...

Her belly seems to change often...sometimes it looks bigger than others. Does that mean anything? I don't seem to recall that happening in any of my other unbred horses...

I would find out if she is pregnant first before switching her to a mare & foal feed, you don't want her to founder.

When I got my mini's (they were not in the best of shape) I started them on Strategy. A girl that works at our TS suggested that, she owns several show mini's. The food seems to have helped them alot. I hope it is also helping their babies as well.

When I got my mini's (they were not in the best of shape) I started them on Strategy. A girl that works at our TS suggested that, she owns several show mini's. The food seems to have helped them alot. I hope it is also helping their babies as well.
Thanks for the tip. If I would give them Strategy, would I cut back on the amount of hay they are getting?? And would this be something that I would give both of them, even if she is not pregnant?

I appreciate the help...I would like to get these two into decent shape
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back