Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always try to figure out how the birds that live in our garage get in and out for food and water all winter. This is a new building and only my car is in it right now. With my crutches and ankle, I have barely gone out too much. But they are up there, twittering away. They are probably saying-'shut the door, it's freezing!'.

snowing again! 3-5 they say and if it keeps going all afternoon into the late night it will be the 5 for sure! (and more if it's serious enough). Boy! I suppose summer will hit hard and fast with 90 plus and too dry (or too much rain???). Then we can complain about that. But at the moment I just want warmer!!!

More "winter mix" due tonight. 20 degrees was predicted but it's already down to 23. I guess I'll bundle up and go and shut my chicken door so they will be warmer. They hate winter. It was 73 yesterday. How's that for extremes??

Once again tonight we are at 25 below with a windchill of 45 below--and it will surely be colder yet by morning. No chance here of having a thawed spot in the yard (or anywhere else!) for a bird to land, way too much snow for that, and absolutely no thawing temperatures for us in this winter-that-never-ends.

"winter-that-never-ends" That definitely sums it up! 3-4 more inches over night. I have no clue what the temp is, is "super cold" or "frigid" on the thermometer? LOL! My poor chickens have not been out in months. I open their little door and they peek their heads out and every once in a while my roo will wonder out and check out the area but goes right back in. I keep trying to give them something to do so they don't start to crack eggs. I got 3 eggs yesterday! That means springs coming.... someday!

We got 3-4 inches, so Hubby is out plowing the neighbor and us out again (her husband, the trucker, is on a run this week-seems it snows when he's gone and not when he's home-my poor hubby!). I was going to go to church today, but with the crutches I am not going to venture out until the drive is plowed again. I also planned to go to an essential oils get together today-but I suppose I will miss that too. It's at the church-if I do get to it, it will look odd that I am at that and didn't get to church. And the two movies I want to see haven't come out yet either. I guess it's next weekend they come out. Pooh! I guess I will sew again. Our temps are "frigid" again too. I think the high is supposed to be 4 or 9 today. Wind chills are back way down. Horses are back in. I think they are getting depressed too from what H. says. They don't have room to run outdoors anyway. The drifts are unpredictable. First it holds them, then they fall through! Our 4 year old is getting testy in the stall and he picks at the others outdoors ('course they don't put up with it-he's lowest on the totem pole overall-but upbeat enough to not care).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I'm with ya! The horses have been stalled more then out this year! The poo is crazy! I just last year had to down size my herd. I can't imagine the up keep if I still had everyone! I'd be in poo up to my eyeballs with how much they have been in!! LOL!

Hubby got home this morning from midnights around 8am and went straight to bed. No plowed paths for me
default_thumbdown.gif
. So I'm going to grab my son, bundle up and bust out the snow shovels!

Jack's Thunder: I think you are chasing me around the Forum this morning, LOL!

I can't imagine how hard it must be with those who have larger "herds" then us. I guess we don't even barely qualify as having a herd; as there are only 6 horses here. But my hubby's having enough trouble keeping up with them. The GFI went out in the build that keeps the electric to the submersible heater on and the electric fence operating. So he is hauling water in buckets out for when they are outside. Luckily they are still suspicious of the fence and respect it enough that they are not challenging it. I am sure they know it's not on; because the installers said that the animals can sense the electric current in some way.

Snow predicted tonight into tomorrow about 1 foot worth with ice and 25 mph wind gusts. Oh joy. Got out there this morning and trimmed goat feet. Glad I did. Since goats are made of sugar and they aren't going out of the hut enough their hooves needed trimming badly and were even a little bit stinky. Fun of grabbing a fainting goat for a hoof trim is that she stiffens and lays down and lets me trim all 4 feet with no argument. Not so true of my Nigerian girl, I felt like I was hogtying calves at the rodeo just trying to get her feet trimmed. At one point I had her trapped between my legs and she started to go all the way through and I was losing traction and wishing somebody would have a camera handy for some hilarious moments of old lady getting bested by small goat girl. LOL gotta laugh.

My manure is awful and first time ever I have had to pile it outside of the hut rather than take it to the field. I only have two minis 4 goats and about 100 cows and it is all we can do to keep up. I just keep adding bedding to the goat hut and pretty soon they will be licking the ceiling. (not really) but I dread spring clean out. I just looked in the back yard and now that some snow has melted off, all the dog poo that I couldn't shovel is now out there looking horrible. Adding dog poo clean up to my many "before the storm" chores.

I admit to sending the kids down to the barn to help hubby with milking and calf feeding chores so I could play catch up here at the house. They are managing ok, but I could tell my playing hooky was not going over too good. haha. I was out at 2 am picking up our oldest child from a school competition that was 2 hours away. Short on sleep and no end in sight.

Spent hours yesterday shoring up some roofing and putting in prop supports. So many local folks had roofs cave in with that 20 inch heavy snow last storm so we are trying to do a little preventative measures.

Baked banana bread for the gang, will soothe the mommy didn't help at the dairy barn hard feelings.

take care keep posting...

still have headache from fall a few weeks ago in the ice storm. frustrated by the high frequency hum that comes into my head when the snow is predicted. man. I want spring.

Oh another funny... Trout stream fish stocking is scheduled for tomorrow. Yeah sure. Nobody here is taking fish in buckets across a half thawed snowy field to get to the trout stream. oh well. the bald eagles are going to be disappointed with us.

best wishes

Jack's Thunder: I think you are chasing me around the Forum this morning, LOL!

I can't imagine how hard it must be with those who have larger "herds" then us. I guess we don't even barely qualify as having a herd; as there are only 6 horses here. But my hubby's having enough trouble keeping up with them. The GFI went out in the build that keeps the electric to the submersible heater on and the electric fence operating. So he is hauling water in buckets out for when they are outside. Luckily they are still suspicious of the fence and respect it enough that they are not challenging it. I am sure they know it's not on; because the installers said that the animals can sense the electric current in some way.
hehehehe
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
I gotta get my exercise some how!

Reactions: JAX
Snow predicted tonight into tomorrow about 1 foot worth with ice and 25 mph wind gusts. Oh joy. Got out there this morning and trimmed goat feet. Glad I did. Since goats are made of sugar and they aren't going out of the hut enough their hooves needed trimming badly and were even a little bit stinky. Fun of grabbing a fainting goat for a hoof trim is that she stiffens and lays down and lets me trim all 4 feet with no argument. Not so true of my Nigerian girl, I felt like I was hogtying calves at the rodeo just trying to get her feet trimmed. At one point I had her trapped between my legs and she started to go all the way through and I was losing traction and wishing somebody would have a camera handy for some hilarious moments of old lady getting bested by small goat girl. LOL gotta laugh.
This reminded me of this nasty little pygmy we had. I was trimming one of my others (similar to what you described) and had my head down not watching around me. I peeked up and boom she head butted me right between the eyes! Almost knocked me silly! I chased her around the field yelling every nasty name I could think of! She's lucky I did not catch her! That darn goat lived to be 14 yrs old!

I always wanted a fainting goat. Someone has babies right now not to far from us for 350-400 bucks. I can't pay that for a goat! LOL! Maybe when I win the lotto
default_wink.png

Too bad you don't live near me... Two guys near here breed fainting goats and sell for $75 no matter whether you get a buck or doe. Not overly fancy on colors, but nice goats. The one guy has a daughter that handles them a lot as babies and I enjoy how tame and sweet they are. My Nigerian is sweet, her name is princess... I think the problem with trimming her feet is more with the handler (me) because her former owner could do it with no issue. I love her too.

I think we set another March record last night, or tied it with 6 degrees. The earlier 6 was in the early 80's. The snow is slick as a marble out there. At least the wind died down and the sun is out. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a thaw. THe chickens came out to soak up some rays, but they hate walking on the cold stuff. Every time my glove sticks to a piece of metal I think of the kid's tongue on the flag pole in A Christmas Story.

We had about an inch last night and are supposed to get another inch tonight. Sunny today and a bit warmer. Supposed to get up to 24 degrees today. The rest of the week is supposed to be a bit better than it has been. Next week is supposed to be warmer looking ahead. I sure hope so!

This picture is from last Thursday. The early morning was warm. By 11:30 (when I took my daily exercise with Lucky) it started light sleet when I got halfway into our route. Instead of paying attention to where I was walking, I ended up in the ditch! What you NEED to know.....these tiny violets are only as tall as my pinky finger. Fortunately, while I was on my knees in the ditch, I thought to take this picture. LOL People driving by thought I was an avid photographer...and I didn't correct them! ROFL

The daffodils are the same ones I posted last. Today they were not so cheerful. Their pretty little face were prostrate on the ground.

IMG_20140301_110614_440.jpg

IMG_20140301_105859_668.jpg

Here's another. I found these hopeful apple blossoms in Walmart on Sunday.

IMG_20140302_162034_062.jpgIMG_20140302_162034_062.jpg

It was sunny and mid-60's (I'm ducking now!) Monday it was back to '40's Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. it was 61 and by 11:30 it had dropped back to 39 with wind chill in teens. Today icy rain.

I looked at pics of last (only) snow of 2013, on February16th. Blossoms on Bradford pear out back were popping out at the top of the tree. That same tree has buds that are just beginning to swell this year. The few flowers, other than those I've posted pictures of, all have frost burns because they got too hopeful and spouted early.

Right now I'm getting a mix of sleet/rain and they're forecasting low 60's for Saturday, then back to this on Sunday. Makes me really feel for you folks up north if we are lamenting winter here.

Post when you can, I hope sharing keeps you all sane.

Here's another. I found these hopeful apple blossoms in Walmart on Sunday.

IMG_20140302_162034_062.jpgIMG_20140302_162034_062.jpg

It was sunny and mid-60's (I'm ducking now!) Monday it was back to '40's Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. it was 61 and by 11:30 it had dropped back to 39 with wind chill in teens. Today icy rain.

I looked at pics of last (only) snow of 2013, on February16th. Blossoms on Bradford pear out back were popping out at the top of the tree. That same tree has buds that are just beginning to swell this year. The few flowers, other than those I've posted pictures of, all have frost burns because they got too hopeful and spouted early.

Right now I'm getting a mix of sleet/rain and they're forecasting low 60's for Saturday, then back to this on Sunday. Makes me really feel for you folks up north if we are lamenting winter here.

Post when you can, I hope sharing keeps you all sane.

Well, it's getting a little better here too. Not AS cold. SOME melting. They say we may have el nino next year and have a mild winter. (lot of good that does us now though-LOL). Two of the minis are pawing down through the snow looking for some semblance of grass. They look like they are nibbling on something. Probably crisp brown dormant grass-must be like chow mein noodles! LOL!

Back