Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had snow on Tuesday (didn't amount to much), cold and bitter wind on Wednesday, then it was 50 yesterday, and back to 20's today, supposed to be 50 tomorrow through Monday, then back to 20's. It's really getting old never knowing what to expect! And the teasing 50 degree days that make you dream of gardens and working outdoors, sigh..... soon, very soon it will be consistent? Right?!? Thinking of everyone with the insane snowfall. Yuk!

Husband got the payloader stuck moving snow yesterday whle digging a path so we could get the feeder filled. Really? The payloader? It is the biggest thing we have and it is stuck. sheesh. I ran to my amish neighbor and got some shoveling help to get the payloader and the other tractors dug out and we eventually got it all going, but the newly scraped ground is very slippery. On my way to the feeder I slipped and got up some momentum with my rubber pants on the ice going down hill and had my son in a fit of giggles trying to help me get up. The "help I fallen and I can't get up" commercial went through my mind.

Fell twice more this morning getting hay to the horse and goats. sheesh. This stuff is slippery and it is so hard to get up once I go down. My stable is flooded and yucky and I can't do anything about it. Drives me crazy.

The coyote ran right past my house this morning 20 feet from the back of my house,... about 3 minutes after I popped the memory card out of my camera. Missed a photo opportunity. The coyote is big. Running at 7 am and went right past my goat pens. I worry about my cats. These coyotes are getting bold, hungry because of all the snow I figure. Big one... size of german shepherd. yikes. this is not a coyote area. We never had to deal with this before.

ok..its afternoon now.. temp got up to 34 degrees and I have mucked out most of my stable and piled it outside of the stable since I can't use a wheelbarrow out there right now. Bedded up with fresh pine chips and pellets on bottom to soak up moisture and I am soooooo happy to have a nice warm dry spot for my boys for tonight. Amazing what little things can make you happy and smile. Gotta find some happy in all these weeks of nasty winter we have been having. Out to dig some more paths for the goats. I think the wet stable was making me crabby.

take care folks. keep posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hard packed snow is no joke either. Can be slippery like you said. We were supposed to get snow this afternoon, but it didn't happen. Suppose it will do it this evening or overnight or tomorrow. 1-3 they say. Then Monday is supposed to be like 1-3,but a mix of snow,sleet and freezing rain. I have Physical Therapy Tuesday around noon. I hope roads and such are clear by then. I hope I can get out the door and to and into the car on my crutches. I have already had to reschedule and cancel PT twice in two weeks!

Husband has the horses out, but I suppose he will need to put them in Sunday night for the Monday freezing rain. Boy! What a winter!

Yep, now I'm sick of it. Took another header tonight, and wrenched the same wrist and elbow again. At least it happened after we got tin on over half the roof, another afternoon like today, and we'll have the roof finished; here's hoping tomorrow is nice like today was.

Yay more snow (hint of sarcasm) we're gonna have snow piles in the yard until may at this point. Ive got roofs sagging and ice avalanches taking us out while doing chores. Seriously fml. 20140215_171556.jpg

20140215_171551.jpg

20140215_161700.jpg

20140215_170215.jpg

More snow, it's snowing right now
default_thud.gif
default_giveup.gif
I'm so tired of it it's not even funny...

That tree fort is 12 feet up and that stupid snow pile is half way there! That's one pile of many!

Look at those poor bird houses covered in snow...

Yeah the critters don't seem to mind it! LOL! But my old gal is in and warm in her stall.

2014-02-16_11-09-52_100.jpg

2014-02-16_11-10-20_791.jpg

2014-02-16_11-10-42_651.jpg

Wow! Watch those deep piles of snow on your roofs! Was watching the news last night about it falling off a building. It hit a car and the whole car was bouncing. Sheets fell off the new World Trade Center. It collapsed a whole office building somewhere else. Try to scrape some off-but don't get up there to do it! Stay safe! Tomorrow we get the mix-snow, sleet and freezing rain. Then-we get some low 40's mid to end week. Watch the rivers! Then back to the 20's. (That would be March coming-the moody month, guess that's why I was born in that month LOL).

Well, the freezing rain is supposed to pass us by; but we are supposed to get 4-7" by sunset. It's almost 11:30 our time and so far it's not too too bad, considering. I am hoping 4" is the worst we get. But who knows; they say we will have some real heavy periods of snow coming through. Looking forward to the 40-ish temps we are supposed to get by Thursday and Friday. Rain on Thursday too. But that presents the flooding and river ice jam problems.

Today was nice. 43 and melting snow and sunny. Hurray. Loved it. Yesterday got about 5 inches. Hubby worked his regular job and then went to work on one of his remodeling jobs. Got home at around 7:30 pm and took care of the horses. Then he went over to the neighbors and got out the tractor and plowed their drives (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours) then came over here and did ours. I kept hearing the tractor engine kind of revving so I looked out and couldn't figure out a first what was going on (he was across at the second of our two drives). Then I realized he was stuck where the drive dips down from the road. He was trying to dig the bucket in to help push him backwards, but it wasn't working this time. He eventually got it out. It was midnight when he finally came in!!! Poor guy! He said he is sick and tired of plowing and shoveling and doesn't want to see anymore snow. I told him we are supposed to get freezing rain Wed. night and Thursday morning. He said he didn't care, as long as it wasn't snow.

Wow, all those pics make me feel guilty that I even complained!!!

Yet, I can remember "just dealing" with the snow, the below zero temps and getting all the chores done and dinner prepared and working, too, when I was in both CO and MT!

OOOO, uck to freezing rain.

We now have a muddy mess. I don't have a grader or a tractor. The area that I tore up the other day trying to bring in the hay w/ 3/4 ton 4x4 - well, once it's dry I will have to pay someone to come "fix" it... And with all this wet - we have rain coming our way as well. And we went from that single digit temps just a couple of days ago to 67* today (and still snow stacked up along the roads and drifted on our property) and supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow. Can't win for losing - neither of these "swings" is normal for us at this time of year.

Isn't there supposed to be a way to "package" up the snow and send it to the west coast where moisture is desperately needed?

I really don't want the cold that comes along with it but you guys are more than welcome to throw your snow in some big trucks and send it this way... that way we could have some moisture. It was 92 degrees down the street the other day. The week before we had just enough ice to remind us we are not built to handle the ice lol. The ice brings down the trees which knock down power lines and then we have no A/C when it hits 90 degrees. My horses are refusing to blow their coats so I'm guessing we will have more cold fronts but poor little guys get all sweaty and then are wet and shivery when the temps change yet again!!Vet says she is seeing a lot more than normal colics because of these extreme changes back and forth. OK I will quit my griping because honestly I don't think I could handle your weather for more than a couple of days.

Woo Hoo! 32 degrees this morning!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
That's why my head had been hurting really bad, the weather changes do crazy stuff to my noodle! It's ok I'll take it if it means warmer temps! LOL!

OK, so it finally warms up to above freezing. Things have started to thaw. My driveway is no longer a sheet of ice. So what happens? We got violent thunderstorms overnight. WHAT?? I mean, the whole house was shaking from the thunder. Scared the dogs to death. Sigh. So what's next? Raining frogs? A hungry hoard of locust? An invasion of earth worms? Hey, it could happen. Weird weather up here. LOL

Raining here. Nothing fun as 3 inches of ice with rain on it. Its like the ice rink Zamboni was working hard this morning to make it impossible to stand up. I fell, my husband fell and we are out of gritty stuff to put down and the feed store is out too. not fun. sheesh. going to put some barn floor chaff out there.

I hate falling down. I have lost count of how often I have fallen.

Here is a photo of my goat Lucy expressing how much we hate snow. LOL. couldn't resist

IMG_0046.JPG

Aaaah-yah! Starting tonight, here in N. IL, we are going to get freezing rain and sleet all through tomorrow morning when we will wake up to fog and more freezing rain, then rain and thunderstorms on top ( I hear you-water on a sheet of ice). Then come evening it will turn to a mix and probably snow and winds up to 50 miles per hour. OMG!!!!!! I knew we were going to get freezing rain and rain, but not that bad! I thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday and today (crutches and all). 40's, melting and sunshine-BEAUTIFUL! They said we will have to keep an eye out for flooding also-which means our pasture/paddocks too. There is a farm field in an L around them (back and one side) with a waterway runoff, plus the back side runs downhill toward our pastures. We get flooding a lot. So this could get nasty! My husband just pulled in a few minutes ago and I know he said he will be putting the horses in again (won't they love that! it was so nice today- they may give him a merry chase). Boy this all sucks!

We had REALLY bad ice storms a few years back.I threw out the barn manure which is shavings mixed with poop.It gave some nice traction for the horses to walk on since it softened some and got ground down into the ice.sorry for all the bad weather everyone is having.we are now in somewhat of a warm up here in DE.But more cold weather is on the way.I should be very thin by now(but I"M not) just from dressing and undressing,boots on-boots off.got to be good for stretching some muscles and losing weight.Hurry up spring.We have 2 lambs born about 2 weeks ago.Yesterday was their 1st day out with the flock after getting their tails banded..Chester,baby ram, had severely contracted tendons so had had to stay in the barn and get physical therapy and stretching of legs daily.His sister,Lisa, is fine and much larger.Both are now outside and running around.they are so mu8ch fun to watch and remind me that spring is not far away.

Waiting to see what happens the rest of the day and evening (it's almost 10 AM here). So far, we only got some slightly frozen mush overnight and now there is nothing really happening except it's windy-maybe about 20 mph or bit more. I like when they get it wrong (or it shifts right) to our advantage (of course, then it's not great for someone else area).

We just had "Thunder Snow" too. It was pretty neat, not welcome, but neat. We were going to get lots of rain but I think we missed most of it.

So we went from this IMG_20140213_141139_016.jpg

to this I discovered today IMG_20140220_175722_624.jpg

I'm putting this up to offer HOPE!! I remember the depression of this time of year..seems like you're never warm. The snow and ice turns to sludge. Is there never going to be an end to it??? Everything on your body aches from a combination of the nipping of winters icy teeth and when it just SLAPS you down into the muck. At this time of year......you don't even bother to get back up....you just scooch along to the next snow pile. It just seems grim, and that the calendar is LYING when it promises spring in March.

So I enclosed a picture of the little flower sprouts I found under that very same icy cedar tree today. I went specifically looking for some hope. I know I'm in NC, but without Casper here this winter has been a little more difficult for me. Seeing this little sign of renewal, of a promise to an end of each cycle and new beginnings, I offer it to you all as a spiritual hug. We had thunderstorms the other day, with 70% chance of winter mix middle of next week.

I'm holding the treasure of these little sproutlings in my heart....hang on y'all!

Julie

Latest posts

Back