Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 60 yesterday, 26 this morning and the wind is howling. The gusts have been as strong as 50 miles per hour. Thank goodness we didn't lose electric. Had to restart the woodstoves last night and sometimes the wind gusts send the smoke back down the chimney. The smell of smoke wakes me up becuase I'm afraid of fire, so between that and the wind screaming outside I didn't sleep very well. I did venture out this morning to look around and make sure that no trees or branches fell on fences but I haven't feed the horses yet and they are used to eating early, but I'm hoping if I wait just a little it might warm up a tad. They were calling for thunder storms last evening, but we lucked out and only had a little rain, the mud is drying up, so I'm thinking this weekend we can grade the ground that we have been tearing up with the tractor and the ranger.

Riverrose, I have the same fears with our wood stove. I hate when that smoke backs up too. What's worse now is our CO detector went off the other early morning back a few. Had the fire dept. out and it was from the wood stove. It was a very low amount and they said we would be ok and it would disapate quickly. So now we know our CO detector works. I will just be glad not to have to use the stove once the weather warms. So far we haven't used it since then. It's been pretty decent temps considering. Glad it is slowly starting to turn to spring. Of course now we have to gear up for tornado season, which scares me just as badly.

Within less than 2 weeks I have traded ear muffs, scarf, mittens and hand warmers, and insulated coveralls for shorts, tank top, and mosquito spray. The saying is true for Texas, "if you don't like today's weather, don't worry, it is about to change."

Vickie: I saw on tv some area in Texas also got a dust storm.

Drat! Husband lit the woodstove again tonight. Now I am phobic about the Carbon Monoxide; because of it going off from it the other week. So I am sitting up and now the wind picks up and it stinks of smoke in here. I woke H. up and asked him can he get it to die out. Says he'll take care of it and puts more wood in! I don't still get how it works; but I thought he would mash up more of the remaining wood and embers and try to get it to die off faster. I imagine we would still get stink because it does it in the daytime sometimes after being lit the night before; I guess because of the ash and hot ash still in it; but at least I know it's basically "out". I'd rather have some smoke stink than CO, but I can't stand the smell. I don't know how he sleeps through it. Our house is so small and our bedrooms downstairs off the livingroom, so it's right there. Ick, it's getting worse now. It's going to be a longggg night!

I can sympathize about the wood stove problem, we have used them since 1977 for heat and also have our bedroom nesxt to the family room, we have two stoves, one at each end of the house. One thing that has helped us is to replace the lining inside the stove doors and if you have a tray to change that insalating strip as well. Hubby is very good about cleaning chimneys and pipes, but I am paranoid about fire. Yesterday and last night was brutal with the wind, it has died down somewhat and no more gusts. I went out today and lots of trees and limbs down. The sun came out here and it is supposed to get up to around 60 but right now I'm still chilly. Good thing is the mud is starting to become solid, so hoping to fix some ground tomorrow and maybe get into work on paddocks next week. Spring ccan't be to far off there were ants in my sink this morning, yuck!

Drat! I wish it would warm up! My bad ankle is aching something fierce. Getting windier, so I am going to try to veto the woodstove tonght-though it would feel good. Time to cuddle up in the winter throws.

Performance mini......winter throws....what an interesting nickname for your hubby!! ROTFL

Here in NC we've also had a couple more extreme swings since my last post. The miniature daffodils came out at the house. Two days later, they had their bright little faces smaushed into the ground by another onslaught of rain/sleet mix. They are starting to recover a little today, as we're above freezing for the first time in two days. Supposed to get very warm the rest of the week **shrug** but I suspect we're in for a sneaky hard freeze a couple more times before mid-April.

Loved the baby cowy pictures! I suppose that's why I've always wanted a Jersey heifer...they keep that doe-eyed, soft baby look into adulthood.

I'll get out tomorrow and try and snap everyone a few more hopeful spring pictures. If I could send more moderate weather to you poor frozen, chapped and bruised internet friends, you know I would! Hugs all.....Julie

There is some reason the smoke is a problem. Do you have negative pressure? The correct window open for the wind direction? The only time we have a little smokey smell is when it is very calm and the smoke swirls around the roof. Maybe your baffles in the stove are rusted through?

It feels like spring here. I see some buds on the cherry tree. Too soon to get our hopes up, though.

Here in southern Delaware we woke up Monday morning to 8 inches of snow.Shoveled my way to the barn again in heavy boots(I am warm and dry but feel and walk like Bigfoot).Got the horses fed watered, stalls cleaned, turned out under sheds and ready for the night feeding.Shoveled my way back to the house since it was still snowing and blowing and drifting.Golf cart(my reliable wheels to the barn is no good in snow and was tucked safely under a run in shed.)On my way to the barn I checked and mailbox is still standing in spite of snow plows flying down my road.Karl usually removes the sleeve and box until plowing is done(this time he didn't)Looked at the road and there is a GIANT red tractor with a plow scraping the road and blowing snow everywhere. Checked later- post is still standing-mailbox in the ditch.I think the highway workers have a contest when it snows to see who can knock down the most mailboxes.Noticed yesterday mailbox is up- Closer look reveals that is it tied on with 2 strands of baler twine which is a bright blue.Asked Karl if I should get a new box."No that 1 is fine".Wonder how long the baler twine will be there.He said he plans to put pink ribbon on it for Breast Cancer awareness and the blue and pink will be great for Easter.Orange and black for Halloween,red and green for Christmas,red for Valentine's and green for St Patricks.Are we Red Neck or what?I should be REALLY skinny from all the shoveling and just getting dressed and undressed so many times daily,but I'm still my same chubby,fluffy self.Now our local weather guy says upper 60's this weekend and back down to low 40's early next week with chance of snow Tuesday or Wed.Is he kidding?Hope it is just rain-at least we don't have to shovel rain.I really have gotten my money's worth out of boots and long johns this year.

At our other house, we used a woodstove. Now that we have moved into a mobile home with propane heat, hubby can't get warm and is talking again about putting in a small woodstove for next winter. I would rather move again than do that. Single wides weren't made for them and it really scares the s...t out of me.

Well here's a nifty (that you really don't want to know!) tidbit. The last 6 months have been, on average, the coldest since 1922.

You can tell I live in the south, since the announcer stated "if it stays this way 2 more weeks, we'll break the record. I hope we do.....if not, it would be like training all your life for the Olympics, then coming in second." Honestly, I wanted to reach through the radio and smack the back of his head!!

People who've never lived through REAL winter don't understand/can't imagine! My husband's from El Salvador, and in late September he'll ask "is this as cold as it will get?" On January 2nd he asks "is winter over now and it's going to get hot?" For poor him, even here in NC, it has been the equivalent experience for him that you're having. Living in NY or the mountains isn't nearly as exciting an idea for him now!! ROTFL

I think we should have the stove and pipes above the room's ceiling checked. It's an old (but quality) stove. My husband put in new pipe when we redid the flooring about 3 years ago. He is planning on getting one of those good wind blocker thingys too for the top.

We are having 2 nice days-today 45 and tomorrow 56- but then back into the 30's. SIGH!!!

It was so pretty yesterday that when I went to the feed store to buy my feed I was almost dancing. It was in the 60's now today it is in 40's so not too bad, only problem is mud will suck your legs off. The silly weatherman is saying we may get snow next Tuesday! I really don't believe him, maybe rain but really we don't need that either.

Performanceminis my woodstoves are over 30 years old and we have an old potbelly up at the garage that I think is almost 50. Ours are Pioneer and made by the Amish. If you are looking for a new one check out the amish made ones, just google pioneer stoves.

It was 70 yesterday... 70!!!! Slight breeze, birds a singing away. I took my guy for a short drive, he's out of shape and still wearing his winter coat, but I couldn't take it anymore!! 50 with 20-25mph winds today, colder over the weekend with snow on Monday. I'm SICK of it! I hate to say it, but I'm glad we aren't the only ones with constant up & down weather. It makes me feel not quite so alone! I feel for you who've had a harsh winter with snow. We've only had the cold & wind.

Thanks Riverrose. I will keep that in mind. Our stove has the name "Vigilant" brazened into the sides. The chimney sweep the first year said it was a good stove, though older.

This next week a whole week of 30's. Besides my bum ankle,I broke my hand-and now the darn ankle is acting up worse again. It aches like a son-of-a-gun (am I allowed to say that? It's not cussing.). The winter and my couple body problems seem never ending.

At the beginning of this week that just passed I remember the weather man saying this weeks weather temps are going to be like a roller coaster and it was. Anywhere from single digits to high 40's F. I was so sick with an allergy flair up and I usually don't get allergy issues.

My poor llama slipped and fell on the ice Thursday. I thought he was down for the count but nope I got him up and I put him in a horse stall next to my Dee Dee, my old gal. No way was I letting her out, if he fell, she could easily too. So those 2 got down time relaxing, not having to fight for food, or get pushed around. Just stay inside, listen to the radio and eat all the hay they wanted. He looks and acts fine, so out they went yesterday. What's strange is even though I only have 2 minis now, a goat and a llama, there is still herd dynamics, a pecking order between all 4 of them.

YES I'm still wearing my snow suit! And no I don't think I'll be putting it away any time soon! Spring what????? What is that???

Oh and now my water is frozen in the barn! I have had running water all stupid, sub zero, -30 degree, 20 inches of snow(or more who knows, I lost count along time ago) nasty winter. And now I have frozen water.....
default_giveup.gif
It's like even on it's way out this winter is slapping me good bye, or kicking me, how ever you want to look at it.
default_torch.gif

I really want to put some spring things out but we still have snow so that don't feel right.

This winter has been bad that's for sure. It has made us look at things a little different. Trying to figure out how to lower some bills. I'm really considering solar heat panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a little warm up these past few days. I have been hauling manure out of my paddock where my horses have been stuck and I have been piling. I have taken 9 full wheel barrows since in 24 hours that I could hardly push and pushed them out to the field (up hill) and dumped them. The manure is so heavy because it has had snow thaw in it and my ground is soggy to push over. After moving all that manure and I survey my pile I can hardly tell I have done anything. sheesh. Its going to be a long day today. 63 degrees but rain expected for tomorrow so I am shoveling like crazy. I got so tired last night I just left my last wheel barrow in the driveway, not enough in me to haul out one more. Will try to start again today after I finish milking chores and feeding calves. I did finally get to take a walk yesterday with my boston terrier girl. Only young dog in the house and only dog of our 7 that can go for an extended walk. She needed it, we have been stuck in for months with lack of footing and snow and ice trapped. Time to work off the 10 lbs I have gained this winter! yikes. No walks for me equals weight gain.

Next week it is going to dip back into polar vortex they tell us. No spring for us yet. I am ready for spring.... today I will pretend it is already here to stay and enjoy the weather. I could hardly move my arms this morning after shoveling all that poop by hand yesterday. Not a place where I want to run a big tractor and rut everything up so it is wheel barrow and time and hard work until I get it all out.

maybe I can work off a few of those 10 lbs I gained. at least I can try. cheers folks... keep posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beginning to think that the weatherman is messing with my head! It is supposed to be close to 70 today well it isn't going to make it, not like this. It is cloudy, dreary and windy, and I'm freezing. Hubby and Darryl took our cans to the center to recycle and I was working in the back yard getting beds turned over again for my spring flowers. Don't think I 'm ever going to get any at this rate. Snow is moving up the coast with a bad N'Easter they say, Ha, got to half way laugh so I don't go nuts. I seriously was hoping I wouldn't need to start the woodstoves but I'm freezing so as I'm watching Steel Magnolias with Sally Field so I can cry my eyes out later I'll start the stove so my tears don't freeze on my face.

It is 8F here at the moment, looks like tonight will be down to -14F tonight. Way too cold for the 3rd week of March! We still have lots of snow on the ground, and now there is really icy, horrible footing because of the few (very few!) thawing days we had. Doesn't look like it is supposed to warm up again until Wednesday or Thursday--and perhaps by the time Wednesday/Thursday gets here the forecast will change again.

Latest posts

Back