Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Performanemini....chow mein noodles HAHAHAHAHA!! Guess that's the excuse for giving you the "hungry eyes" two hours later!! ROFL

Marsha, not sure how much snow you've gotten. Perhaps it was enough to insulate without flooding risk when it melts.

March 20th, spring solstice. Shall we start a betting pool on whether or not THAT happens??

I'm not a betting person, and I live in MT; so I already know I won't see spring staying until around Mother's Day. Oh, she'll tease us with nice days, but won't be here to stay til May.

My husband must have been trying to get the "sluggish" out of the geldings tonight. He was throwing snowballs at them.I don't think they were amused!

Nature is such a tease. Two days ago it was 2º now today its 47º. Everyone is starting to shed but I dont think we are done with winter yet. its gonna take a while to thaw everything out. My fish pond fountain froze and im betting i have frozen gold fish fish sticks in there.

20140305_080205.jpg

I'm in the middle of reading a western. While traveling through Wyoming, one hombre comments to the other during a blizzard "this area has spring the last two weeks of July and summer the first two weeks of August."

Usually I'd know this was a bit of an exaggeration. Not this year!! Sorry guys. Do I need to send Cling-free dryer sheets so that you can pet your critters without getting shocked?

Dryer sheets! Yes! Seems like everything you touch zaps you! I know my little dog is getting disgusted with it.

Amysue......ooooohh, your poor little fishes! Don't see how they could survive that!!

Just for laughs, you could seat a stuffed scarecrow on that little metal stool in the backgound, put a cane pole in his hand and drop a line into the frozen pond. Then stick a little sign up that reads "the (your state inserted here) version of Minnesota ice fishing". Whatcha think??

We are in a bit of a thaw. My hose coming out of the basement broke off and blasted a water hole in the snow. We were running around the house trying to figure out why the pump wouldn't shut off and realized that the hose was blasting. Now everything shut off and drained and now have to fill all horse and goat buckets in kitchen sink even on thaw days. sigh. My kitchen sink is so slow, another project... They do stack up. The mud is so deep it can suck your boots off, everywhere else is still ice and I still can't let my horses out on pasture. ugh.

We are also having a stink bug attack in the house. I hate those things..

so on goes my kids and their stink bug wisdom comments...

Like...

This is worse than a stink bug on your toothbrush.

This is worse than a stink bug in your hair dryer.

This is worse than a stink bug on your pillow.

On a good note, started bathing and grooming my dirty dogs yesterday. I did three of the 7 so far. Its been too cold to give any a bath for weeks, most of my dogs are so old... now that we have a couple of days over freezing a few of them need both a bath and hair cut. They are looking good. My old 14 year old crested was spinning and dancing in celebration of his new hair do this morning. He loves being super clean. I know with this mud it won't last long, but isn't it a great feeling to make some progress on something?

cheers.

ps love that fountain photo.

Nature is such a tease. Two days ago it was 2º now today its 47º. Everyone is starting to shed but I dont think we are done with winter yet.
attachicon.gif
20140305_080205.jpg its gonna take a while to thaw everything out. My fish pond fountain froze and im betting i have frozen gold fish fish sticks in there.
That's what mine looked like a couple of times. I had to take the pump up out of the water because it was taking it too long to thaw and start working again down in the cold water, even when I got the ice off the top. We don't have snow around ours, so the birds and wild animals rely on it to drink. I feel bad when it's frozen over.

Your fish sticks will be fine; amazing how they can thaw out.

We are having a warming trend now, but we are desperately dry here.

So I bucketed warm water to the pond today. Surprisingly they all survived. Its not wide across but its about 4' deep. Its actually an old cast iron pasturization tank from the 50's with dark blue enamel glaze baked on the inside. Used it as a water trough for the steers for the longest time until we moved and my husband turned it into a pond. Lucky I got water into it before it pumped itself out. Some where I have a ceramic statue of a boy fishing that used to sit on my great grandmothers dock. If I can find it ill put it out there. We are starting to thaw but it is going to be short lived. Expecting 4-6" of snow tuesday.

We are getting a bit warmer, yet you would say it's still cold. News channel reports we are 10 degrees below normal on the average. I had a dream last night though (wishful thinking for spring?) that my husband was out in the paddock putting the hay out and was half way up to his knees in thick gooey wet mud!!! And I remember dreaming "I wonder if he put his knee boots on?" (he wears his shoes in the snow sometimes-Brrrr!). We probably will have mud almost that deep with all the snow to melt and run off. It's sunny today and supposed to get up to about 30 or a tad over, but it's pretty breezy out there. The house feels chilly (leaky windows).

Last edited by a moderator:
This weather is tearing my head up. The last few days it has been ranging anywhere from single digits to the high 30's low 40's. My head hurts so bad, but this is typical spring, I know it's coming!
default_thumbup.gif
I'll take the head aches as long as the snow and bitter cold goes away!

I will be glad not to use the wood stove anymore! This morning at about 6:15 am the carbon monoxide detector went off. It sits on a shelf about 8 feet from my head. I haven't shook off the effects yet. Hubby wasn't even going to call the fire dept. to come check it out. But I annoyed him to do it. When we first moved in here 18 years ago, the detector went off about 3 different times and all were a false alarm. The fireman said they weren't very good detectors. Well, we got a new one last fall. Turns out the woodburner was putting out a little CO this morning, that's why it went off. It was very very low, but at least we know it's a good unit and that if we keep having problems we may need a new wood stove or something. Now it's breezy out too, so I am getting the "ash stink" in here from the stove. Hate that too. Going to be 50 today, hurray! and again on Friday! Whoo-Hoo it's a start!

Almost all of our snow has melted, we only have a couple of little piles left from digging out. Boy oh boy do we have the mud. Went out the other morning to bust up ice in the tub and got stuck in it. The passage between the paddocks is all tore up and rutted from driving between and dumping manure in the pile. The tractor has also left deep ruts when hubby moved hay up to the barn. The mail man came into the driveway and when he went to turn around to avoid the mud on the far end he got stuck in the mud by the horse trailer. I had to get my truck and pull him out. Needless to say my paddocks are a mess, can't get in there to clean them till it drys up some. At least it is not freezing out at the present time, but the weatherman said we may have a new storm coming in on Wed. On the bright side, some of the spring bulbs are starting to show themselves, so flowers will be blooming soon, I hope.

We are unseasonably warm right now, so snow has melted and we have a river running through our yard and my barns, along with a ton of mud. The main county road is running over, hopefully the water won't wash it out.

All our little pastures are filling up with water I see. The horses are in due to the vet coming this morning to do vaccinations and coggins for the year. Since I am on crutches I had him leave them in. I figured my husband could turn them out tonight; but maybe not as they will probably be swimming. Plus we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow and 24 mph winds again. BUT, it's supposed to be 51 on Friday! It was around 51 yesterday, that's why it's melting so. All that water is runoff from the farm field around our pastures. The field slopes down toward us. (well, it slopes back up toward the house and buildings). Poor pastures are kind of in a little valley. Never noticed that when we bought the place. But the pastures were just a field full of tall weeds then, so we couldn't see what was what.

It was un seasonably warm today 51º. So the snow is melting and my horses are mud bogging right now. They were clean this morning but tonight it looked like I had a barnyard full of bays as they are covered head to toe in mud. I figure I need about 100 yards of sand to fix the paddocks and yard.

It has been warm here lately, yesterday close to 50, now we are back to snow. The storm is lasting until tomorrow morning, wish it would go away for good and stop teasing us with a few nice days and then below freezing.

We were supposed to get 1-3. I think we got barely 1". But with the darn field sloping down towards them, our little pastures are under water. So the horses are stuck inside again! And for how long I don't know. It's supposed to be low 50's Friday so more will melt and run into the pastures. (I won't complain about the temps though!). I think the drain that runs UNDER our neighbors yard may be frozen so the water can't get through. Or else the openings are frozen over enough yet to stop draining. (Drat! just glanced out the window and it's snowing lightly again!). I am tired of snow and cold!!!

I hate wind. We went from 66 degrees and sunny yesterday afternoon and boot sucking mud to 1 degree in 12 hours. Brutal winds with this 65 degree change in temperature. Wind from a weird direction... house is cold and wind sucked out 4 windows in my house and we were stapling up plastic at midnight after spending hours closing the barn up again, windows that we had opened up because it was so warm during the day. ugh.

Checking heifer during night for calving... I am totally whipped this morning. no end in sight. Really hate the high winds the most. Branches flying around and falling and I feel like I should wear a helmet outside. One of my dogs is freaked out from the storm. Smelling poop and can't find it... scared dog probably found some place she felt safe in house to go. ugh.

take care folks. keep posting... great gripe thread.. I read every post.

Latest posts

Back