Iowa club show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
I just got one horse that is halter and driving both bathed and clipped. I have one more halter horse that needs it. Some of you that showed at the Minnesota show over the 4th are you clipping for the Iowa show if you are going? I have one driving only and one halter(white/pink skin) I am thinking maybe just bathing and clean up a little bit on heads. Are you all clipping? Also I heard we have around 152 horses so this should be a great show. And people can still enter , no late fees! Back to original question, clipping again?

I read this earlier in the day, I would go with your gut feeling. It's been two weekends since that show, can you get away with just cleaning the horse up- honestly?

Good luck!

Boy Lavonne, that is a tough call. We had that happen last year from the end of July to the first week in August. We did not clip. I think everyone else did. I thought our horses looked fine and just redid their heads (I think with a 10) and blended. But that was just a little later in the season and their hair starts to grow back faster. We have been having cool nights too, that makes a difference. I would trust your gut. If it is going to be a good size show you will want them to look your best. Everyone who didn't show at Winona will have fresh clipped horses. Maybe if you want to save some work, don't redo the horse that is just driving. That wouldn't be as important as the halter horses. I know when I did do it last year and the shows were 2 weeks apart you could barely tell on some of the horses where I had clipped. In my opinion it was harder to clip. That little bit of hair just didn't clip as nice as if they had some growth. Plus I am sure I went over some areas several times because I really couldn't see a big difference. Each horse is different too. Diamond grew a lot more hair that time than our filly did and I had no trouble clipping him.

Sorry I didn't help much. Hey I got an idea. Lets all start a petition to get rid of this silly body clipping stuff once their winter woollies are gone and we would all be much better off
default_yes.gif

Yeah I know wishful thinking. It is just not one of my favorite jobs.

The two I clipped today I used a #15 blade and had a very small amount of hair on the floor. It was almost hard to see where I went. I may have to clip the white horse although his coat is still not long. I did his July 2. I am mainly wanting to just qualify for Nationals but I don't want to be the only one out there either with long hair. and I don't want to look disrespectful of the judges and show folks either. I think I am just tired today, will see about Wednesday as I can't do it tomorrow. thanks guys, I appreciate your input! Lavonne

Okay this is goin to sound weird as I havent shown at a mini show since I was like 11 or 12 and now im getting back into the minis

I have shown big horses since i was 14 or so and we never "body clip" for the shows

now I have my minis here and boy my two boys are shinny and pretty one is buckskin and his color is just beautiful.

If i was to take him to a show would i have to clip him ????? and why ?

Idont see why they dont do the minis just like the big horses keep them up underlights and stuff and keep there hair coat summer slick

and when time to show they would still look just as beautiful if not prettier to me cause you can see the true color of the horse

the body clipped look all muted in color for a few weeks

and it would sure save a ton of work for us folks that have a lot of horses to get ready for a show

why do they do that Im just trying to get a handle one why they body clip for each and every show ? I dont see the reasoning behind it

I love the summer shiney coats too but for most shows they are clipped. They do look very pretty clipped, but it certainly would be nice to maybe clip once to get the shaggy winter coats off and then let them shed out from there. Our pasture minis looks so pretty right now with their summer coats. I don't think you would have to clip if you have a nice shiney coat, do a halter path and whiskers though. Lavonne

I don't want to sound snotty, but honestly, they do look pretty and shiny at home, but at a show they would look downright shaggy. Even a couple weeks growth looks shaggy to me. Shoot, at Nationals they are clipping everyday! They just look more polished and prepared when they are clipped up nice, so you have to decide if you want to rock the house in color class, or if you want to win in halter
default_unsure.png

Well icspots you have a point. But I think if we all got together and none of us body clipped we would all be in the same boat. So should we start a petition and get a rule change? That might be a loaded question.

I hate body clipping! It does nothing for my bad back and knees. But I do it because we have to. Do I think they look better, yes in some aspects. Our broodmare shed out on her own and she is sleek shiny and beautiful. I would definitely not be ashamed to have a judge look at her that way. Now on our show horses that have grown out for 3 weeks, yes they look shaggy and unkept.

I do see the point that they are a smaller horse and it is needed to see their confirmation. But I don't know if I totally agree. They do loose their beautiful color, some don't even look like the same horse.

Kira98 sure has a good point. I came from big horses too. I thought that clipping my Arabians face and white socks and bridle path was work. Boy I guess I didn't have a clue.

I just clipped 2 more today. That makes 4 down and 1 to go.

I do think people go a little overboard at nationals on clipping. I did all of our horses twice 2 years ago, and it sucked. I spent all my spare time clipping and didn't enjoy it one bit. Last year we only clipped once, but I kept them covered even during the day and trimmed faces, and bridle paths several times. This year I think 2 of them will get clipped the day before we leave and that is it. Our stallion looks like I might have to clip him twice down there because the classes he is in will be spread out.

Good points everyone. My only other thought is if someone has a family mini and they are doing only one show if they are comfortable with the summer coat go for it. Of course clipping whiskers, halter paths and stray hairs elsewhere. Be prepared for competition being clipped though. Then when they are home from the show their horse can be turned out to pasture and not suffer any problems.

I am bathing the last two today and will decide then about whether to clip the white horse. He looked nice this AM but will know more after bathing. My main intent is to just get him qualified for Nationals right now.

Ps- I understand the number of horses is now over 160 horses. I am so excited about this show! Many show friends will be there! Lavonne

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back