Introducing horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WashingtonCowgirl

Reaction score
So I just bought a gelding
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
He will be delivered the same day that I'm moving Spanky to a new facility, so it will be new to both of them. I have no clue how to being to introduce them. I'm honestly not worried about Spanky at all, as he has always got along with whoever we put him with but I'm not sure with the new guy (who is currently pastured with a full sized horse) From what the owner has said he is fairly easygoing and mild mannered, but we will see for sure when he gets here.

Anyways, because no thread is complete without pictures, here is Stetson!

Of course lots depends on their personalities, but it's good that both are going to meet in a new territory. Hopefully the area is large enough for them to have their own space. And I would not feed them together.

Often when a new horse is introduced to another horse in that horse's area there is a territorial issue. But in your instance, you've taken that problem away. The main concern may be during feeding. And if you can, feed them totally separate or at least very far apart.

What I'm thinking is to take them on a short walk around the property, letting them touch noses, graze and explore a bit while on line, then putting some hay out on separate sides of their paddock (its about 15ft by 55ft) and just watching the, pretty closely for a bit.

What I'm thinking is to take them on a short walk around the property, letting them touch noses, graze and explore a bit while on line, then putting some hay out on separate sides of their paddock (its about 15ft by 55ft) and just watching the, pretty closely for a bit.
sounds perfect , thats what I would do
default_smile.png

You may want to put the hay in more than 2 piles if you can. I have found that extra piles mean that whichever horse is dominant gives up trying to hoard all the resources quicker. For 2 horse at least 3 piles spread out as much as possible.

edited to say- Congratulations on the new guy. He is lovely, great colour too.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done this several times. When two unfamiliar horses move into a new place at the same time they tend to buddy up almost immediately. I would say, try to introduce them their new home at the same time so the herd up together. I've also done with with a large horse and mini together when I moved them out to Laramie for school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Michelle! Stetson is adorable!

I agree with putting out more than two piles of hay if they must be fed together. I give mine their grain/supplement ration separately but often times I scatter feed hay when they are together. The biggest thing is make sure that there are more hay piles than horses and that the piles aren't close enough to each other that one horse can protect them all LOL...

Can't wait to meet you new boy. He's adorable!

In good weather, I feed lunches outdoors on grassy areas.

I don't put out piles out but string the hay out so that they have to walk around

as if they are grazing, to eat.

Added benefit is there isn't any piles for anyone to claim as their's and it keeps

them moving, naturally.

Stetson is a cute boy. Enjoy!

In good weather, I feed lunches outdoors on grassy areas.

I don't put out piles out but string the hay out so that they have to walk around

as if they are grazing, to eat.

Added benefit is there isn't any piles for anyone to claim as their's and it keeps

them moving, naturally.

Stetson is a cute boy. Enjoy!
Yep, that's the way I do it. Scatter it all over the place. They move around and act like they are grazing. Good mental health without all the fat from "real" grass LOL!

Now, for a few gratuitous pictures of my adorable horses...

561066_4579226235920_404968164_n.jpg

375897_4570782544833_815082168_n.jpg

Good idea:)

I love your little herd! How is Dollys leg doing?
It's been fine. Fighting with proud flesh but it's just superficial. It's been good for her to learn to tolerate me working on it. Thanks for asking!

We need to get you to my place to play with the baby. he's so OMG adorable!

Latest posts

Back