Introducing a new weanling to my 2 geldings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann knight

Reaction score
My friend has purchased a weanling colt and he is going to be living at our house , I am so excited
aktion033.gif

My 2 boys are a yearling and a 6 year old gelding . I do have an area that the new guy can be separated from the others (but can see them) but would like them to be together as soon as possible . ( They are all from the same breeder so I am not worried about any health issues ) . Does anyone have any suggestions to help make the transition easier for the "boys' .

Thanks ....
saludando.gif
Ann

Since you have an area already set up where everyone can see each other, I'd use that for a few days. They will also be able to smell one another.

The main problem will be at feeding time. You will probably want to introduce everyone during the middle of the day and pull the weanling to feed him separately for awhile. After a week or so, give it a go at feeding, but just make sure there is plenty of space between hay piles and/or grain dishes, etc.

I'd also watch how it all goes.......If the youngster is being bullied too much and not figuring out how to dodge and weave, then he may need to be fed on his own until he's older.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we bought Flash as a weanling, I was certain gentle little Thelonius would be a great big brother and turned them out in the indoor arena. Good thing I stayed in there with them, because Thelonius thought he had moved up in the pecking order and was really mean to the little guy. When we brought Flash home at about 9 months, he was big enough to hold his own and Mingus and Thelonius accepted him.

When we brought Scarlet home as a yearling, she was big enough not to get hurt, but both Mingus and Thelonius picked on her, especially at feeding time. She and Thelonius slowly bonded over mutual grooming, and she and Mingus bonded over running together -- both had the need for speed. Flash would be only too happy to "accept" her, but for his own nefarious reasons (he's still a stallion).

Nowadays, Scarlet and the geldings get along well, although I wish Sshe had a little more boss mare in her personality -- she still puts up with too much guff.

I would just stay close at hand -- watch how it goes and be ready to separate them if necessary. I'd introduce them two at a time -- probably putting the weanling and yearling together first, then the older boy with the youngster. Be prepared for the possibility that, since the older two have already bonded, they may not accept the young guy into their herd -- or that it just may take some time.

Latest posts

Back