Information or photos of this stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this stallion or had any information or photos of him. I have tried googling and have had no luck, but I thought by chance someone that has been in the minis for quite sometime may remember this horse or even have some of his offspring. Thank you in advance.

What's the name? Only the subject part shows up on my phone so if someone writes something below, I miss it

Thank you eagles ring! It's a good thing I DID ask! He was owned by my great grandparents
default_smile.png
There are no pictures of Ranger anywhere, not even polaroids and I have gone through boxes and boxes of old pictures of their horses from the 70's on. I can tell you that he was about 32"-33" and a deep chestnut that carried silver. He was of medium build and his daughters were some of the very best broodmares we've had. I will try to dig up some info on his offspring for you and post again in a little bit
default_smile.png
I can tell you that he had quite a few daughters that went on to produce National Champions. When my great grandparents divorced, someone was hired to keep records of my great grandfather's horses for him. When he went to a nursing home, she......took some, sold some, gave away some. A few years ago she told me that she had pulled Ranger's papers and ran him through a sale. I have no idea where he went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...thank you so much for the information ohmt. I am sorry that I had gone away and didn't see your request for his name, but thanks to Eagles Ring for getting it for you. I have recently added a great grandson of him to my breeding program. I knew or could find info on most of the horses in his pedigree, but could absolutely find nothing on Red Ranger. Thank you again....so much.

http://www.rivendellminiaturehorses.com/Mare/Madison.html

http://triple7farm.tripod.com/id6.html

http://www.hoofweb.com/amyscritters/mares.html

http://www.miniatureequine.com/llilones/butterfly.html

http://www.horse-therapy.org/Feather.htm

http://www.miniaturpferd.at/minipferde-stute-arc-dusty-rose

Above are links to either daughters or close descendants of his

Here is ARC Rosalee, a daughter of Ranger that we used to own. This was her pictured well into her teens after 8 or so foals. She was way before her time and she produced a few different mares that went on to be National Champion producers themselves.

This is a terrible, muddy spring picture:

Rosalee1.jpg

Rosalee2.jpg

This is a 6 yr old granddaughter, broodmare pulled straight from the pasture-

2011-06-10_16-45-32_962.jpg

Here is a daughter, pictured 2 years ago at 18 years old I believe. She is still my alpha mare and produces very leggy, big moving foals:

P1050181.jpg

You're very welcome for the info! I wish I had pictures to share with you. I believe he must have been much before his time though. His get seem to be leggy, short backed with big hips and shoulders, and great neck sets. My great grandparents loved to cross his daughters with their Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse son. They got some really excellent foals that way.

Good luck with your new boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow....I never dreamed I would get such great information. Thank you so much. Those mares are gorgeous...all of them. I am so excited about what I have seen from this line. Was your grandfather's farm the ARC? I have noticed all of the offspring of Red Ranger have the ARC prefix.

I have a daughter of Rosalee that Amanda posted making her a granddaughter of Red Ranger. She is one of my best producers. Sadly I dont have great pictures of her.

Mars Rosebud:

16842_237190042511_236449937511_3118345_1751152_n.jpg

You are so welcome! I am glad I could help
default_smile.png
Yes, my great grandparents bred the ARC (which stands for Alten R Crandall, my great grandfather's name) horses. Really great horses for their time. They were not the most honest breeders when it came to heights on pedigrees, but they had a good eye for horses. Didn't like the small stocky stuff-mostly had tall, leggy ponies that they used. Ranger was used to help downsize their bigger mares. For heights on the old ARC horses, usually if you add 2" or so it is more accurate
default_rolleyes.gif
Not all, but a good bunch. You'll see that many of Ranger's get ended up in the 33"-35" range. It wasn't because he produced tall, it was because the mares those foals were out of were probably close to 38". My grandparents quickly ended that when my great grandmother came to live with them. I still love our old ARC mares. They just don't come any more reliable.

Interesting little bit of history.
default_smile.png
I've had a horse or two that go back to ARC breeding here.

Jan

I am so very glad that I asked this question. To be honest, I thought no one would respond. I never imagined that I would get such great information. I love the look of all of the mares that have come from this line. The ARC horses that I am seeing in my stallion's pedigree are:

ARC Banner

ARC Bunnie Hop

ARC Squeaki

ARC Tego

ARC Taffy

ARC Tego was the sire of Bryants Mary Lou Retton who is the grand dam to my stallion.

I love your mare Maple Hollow.

Interesting thread!

I've liked several ARC horses that I've seen. Actually tried to buy a few over the years, but it never worked out. The ones I was interested in were GMB breeding, but I can't remember now how they got it. Meaning which GMB sons or daughters they came from. Do you remember Amanda?

Duh! I see where you mention a MM son, so that must be it.

I actually personally remember most of those horses. Bunnie Hop was a favorite here-i believe her papers said her dam was Squeaki, but I don't believe that's true because I am fairly certain they were the same age (remember I said they weren't the most honest breeders). Bunnie Hop was a silver dunskin roan pinto. It doesn't say that on her papers, but I have pictures and based on what she produced I am fairly certain that's what her color was. Bunnie Hop was a very beautiful mare. I would love a few just like her even today. Banner died a very young age. He was a small, silver red dun roan. I just sold a daughter last year that was the exact same color. Banner was incredible for his time-VERY refined. If I can figure our how to scan, I will try to get you pictures. He only sired a handful of foals, but I know for sure 1 went on to be a multi National Champion for Robby Barth.

Taffy was a neat mare too. I think we sold her in 2000. She used to produce huge foals, no matter the size of the stallion. I remember her foals used to have to nurse from behind because of their long legs lol. She was a pretty girl though and had very pretty sabino and splash markings. I am not positive on Tego, but if I remember right was named after my brother Teagan and was a loud overo. I have the neatest picture of 2 foals nose to nose that were absolutely identical loud overos down to every marking and even conformation. I am pretty sure that was Tego and Sanddune-no relation to each other at all.

Yep Parmela-they owned a Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse son, Codys Mickey Mouse, who was a full brother to Fredy. One of Mickey Mouse's first owners was my great grandmother's cousin so she got to see him back before he became widely known
default_smile.png
We still have 3 Cody daughters here that are in their upper teens but still producing. There are still quite a few of them around. One of my favorites is at Firewater miniatures and produced gorgeous world champion Calvin.

So glad I could share this info-i am such a big pedigree nerd and I have spent so much time researching my great grandparents lines, it's nice to be able to share some of it
default_smile.png

OHMT, I have absolutely soaked in every bit of information that you have shared here and am ever so grateful for it. I also call myself a little bit of a pedigree nerd....I just dig and dig until I can find photos or at least some information. If it were not for you, the info on Little Red Ranger was simply not obtainable. Also very very interesting about the strong overo line on that side of my stallion's pedigree. I was sure that his coloring came mostly from his sire's side....but I know now that overos are on BOTH sides. I am a piZap nerd on FaceBook....love making those photos...so I made one for our new stallion so I could put in on our website. I am going to try to post it here. I will take more photos when the weather warms up. These photos were of him as a yearling as he was showing. Well....I am on my laptop and it won't let me do a double screen to post the photo.....I am going to get on my main computer and post his photo in just a few minutes.

He is GORGEOUS! I really like him-i look forward to seeing your foals by him! He definitely has some strong overo genes on both sides. I bet he goes back to Sonrisas Hajel-i am thinking Bunnie Hop was a Hajel daughter? Away from the farm so can't check. Hajel was a loud tovero (if you google his name you'll find a picture of him taken when my great grandparents owned him) and is the grandsire to LTDs Magic Man.

I always really enjoy seeing your piZap creations on facebook. You are so creative.

Please keep in touch. I would love to see more pictures of your boy and his future foals
default_smile.png
I will try to get some pictures of the ARC horses in his pedigree for you.

This has turned into a wonderful history lesson! Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

Rowena is the mare I sold just this past fall that is a Banner daughter
default_smile.png
None of her pictures do her justice so I didn't post them, but what the heck-she was identical to Banner and a double FWF Little Red Ranger g-daughter

This is her in her winter woolies and pregnant:

Rowena5.jpg

Terrible picture:

Rowena4.jpg

Pictured here just hours before she foaled:

Rowena.jpg

I still have yet to find a horse under 34" with a more naturally beautiful neck than Rowena's.

Here is a daughter of hers as a 27" 2 yr old wearing a yearling halter that was way too big:

f70c79f3.jpg

Thank you Diane! I love those ARC mares too. Although, I may be biased since almost all of our horses are ARC bred
default_smile.png
Would love to see ARC Cocos picture!

I do really love how those old ARC mares were built. I never get sick of seeing pictures-they make me proud
default_smile.png
ARC Chocolate was most likely Coco's dam. You can usually tell what lines the horses came from by the first letter of their names. Since my great grandparents had so many horses, they named all (well, most) foals using the same first letter as the dam. We use the same naming method to this day.

Thank you for sharing Diane!

Latest posts

Back