Infections in doggie ears

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
My Cane Corso has an issue with his ears. He does not have them docked, they are not really huge, and he is slick haired, not fuzzy. He stays outside all day, comes in around dark, and sleeps in the house. Hubby is working a swing shift, gets in about 3:00 in the morning, and Ben makes him check in, and tell him for certain who he is before he lets hubby in the house. We (hubby and I) really think this is a good thing. No one is going to walk in on me! Ben will be 4 the end of the month, and he has had at least 3 major ear infections. This last time is the worst, because it is bleeding from his scratching it so much. This boy weighs about 150 lbs., and when he gets these infections, he loses his balance, and can't get the rear to work so well. (Try picking this big guy up!) The meds the vet gives us works quickly, but then the infections will come back again. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this, or do you think he is just susceptable to ear infections?

Could be a number of things. I'll throw some things at you for you to check into. Has your vet diagnosed whether it's yeastie ears or bacterial infections? One thing a lot of people forget to look at is their pup's diets. Things such as wheat, starches and grains can cause ear infections. Look not only into the main food source ingredients he is being given but also snacks. Even pizza dough, (flour) can be a culprit. Poor baby boy....I know that has to be uncomfty, especially in the heat. Good luck I hope you can pin point what is causing this. Recurring ear infections can be very frustrating.

I ditton Sterling - it is very, very often the diet that causes ear infections - it is almost an allergy. You may end up needing to switch to a raw food diet of ground chicken or something similar and then slowly add in other items - good luck, it is a real bummer to work thru the various foods until you find something that is tolerable.

Stacy

Years ago I had a dog with bad ear infections. Tons of money spent at the vet yet they kept coming back as soon as I cleared one up a week later it would be back.

Finally a groomer suggested I change her diet to Wellness fish and sweet potato. It helped so much. Instead of constant ear infections she only had one or two a year.

You know, I never thought of diet as a cause for the ear infections. He is a dog with a delicate stomach! I have changed his dog food several times trying to find one that agrees with him, and that he will eat. Great idea, and thank you for bringing that up to me. This one dog food he has been on for about 3 months, but he has started upchucking it about once every week or so, and now the ear infection. Guess I'll change again, and keep trying to find one that both suits him and his system.

I would recommend talking to a Naturopathic vet - they have seen this sort of thing over and over and would probably give you great advise on where to start and with what type of diet.

Stacy

In addition to a limited ingredient diet I would also add probiotics to his food. Dogs with sensitive stomachs really respond to probiotics. One of my dogs had a sensitive gut and was very picky because of it. Probiotics added to the food really helps that problem. Another thing that can be a contributer is over vaccination.. Read the article STOP THE SHOTS... and anything else by Jean Dodds (a vet). Most vets have adopted a reduced vaccination program of nothing more often than every three years.... Once my dogs are mature, I only vaccinate for rabies every three years because it is required by law. Over vaccination can cause major health issues in dogs, especially if your vet gives all the vaccinations at once. Best wishes.

Back