Inconsistent Gaits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has been getting alfalfa all year.

My vet says that the actual alfalfa hay is the best...better than pellets, cubes or any other form. Not sure what form of alfalfa you are feeding. Maybe your guy can't do the grain you are feeding? It sure is a puzzle with these fur kids! Good thing we love them so much!
default_wub.png

He has been getting the cubes but for a month now I switched to regular alfalfa/timothy hay. I've been feeding him the same grain all year with no problems and now he struggles to eat a handful. But he gets real excited for his hay like he normally does for his grain. I think Nationals was just too long for him, defintelly was for me and I plan on taking a few days off of our stay for Nationals next year, may not even take him and just do limited showing I don't know.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the stress level of your recent competitions got him. I would take him off grain for a little while so his ulcers can heal. Then when the stomach lining has repaired itself, your grain will become a non issue again. That is what I would do if it was my fur kid. The fact that he would rather have hay and not grain is the give away for me!
default_luck.gif

This is what I'm trying to give him right now. It's suppose to be a digestive aid along with vitamins/minerials and just gets a handful twice a day. It has been helping him and keep his weight up but since this past 2 days he's been turning his nose away and he's started to drop weight. I have hay in front of him all the time right now. In the past I have been giving him the mini/pony feed with great success but I think now I'll start just giving him the StayStrong pellets.

http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/StaySTRONG%20Metabolic%20Mineral%20Pellets.htm

I called the vet and said to give the UlcerGuard a few more days to see if he improves like he did last time and if he does give it for 3 more weeks. I tried calling a different vet for a second opinion but he is closed til tomorrow.

I just thought I would mention a little something here about ulcers. A few weeks ago I went to a seminar put on by an equine nutritionist (from Purina)about making hay stretch during our horrible drought and lack of hay.
default_ohnoes.jpg
She mentioned a new study where they were able to put a camera into a horse's stomach during workouts. They found that horse's stomachs collapse during exertion and more so the harder/faster they work. So when a horse is galloping it is super likely, with a very small stomach volume avalible, a horse will get ulcers from the stomach acid being pushed up into the esphogas. It was reccommended that horses never work on an empty stomach to prevent ulcers. It was also reccommended that horses were fed maybe 30 mins before a workout but, not much more, so as to avoid ulcers. She also mentioned feeding alfalfa to prevent and treat ulcers. My vet/chiro said that alfalfa acts like a tums because of the extra calcium in it. If your horse leaves his concentrates (ie grains) for hay, he is trying to self medicate because he has ulcers and it feels better to stop eating grain and eat alfalfa, or grass hay if he has no alfalfa. It was reccommended to me by my vet to feed a small amount of alfalfa with their grain so they can help themselves heal/prevent their ulcers. Actually my vet said to take the horse off of grain for awhile if ulcers were suspected. I have had great success with alfalfa added to the diet to get my slow grain eaters to eat more normally. For example, it worked with a horse I had in for some socializing. She would not eat grain very fast and would beg for hay even with a full bucket of grain. I mean, to me it is odd for a horse to leave grain for coastal!
default_impatient.jpg
I took her off grain and gave her alf for awhile instead. Then I added grain back after two weeks, still feeding her alfalfa. When I sent her home a few months later, she no longer ate slowly. Vet said he was positive she had ulcers. My friend is anti-alfalfa, so she has not had any since she returned home 2 years ago and still eats her grain quickly (at a comprable speed to her other minis). So if I was told my horse had ulcers, I would feed him before I worked him and I would also make sure he had alfalfa...WITHOUT grain (if it were me) at least for a little while.

The other thing you can do is give him a vitamin b shot. It is amazing how being low on b vitamins can make you sluggish and "off." I get a vitamin b shot about once a week!
default_new_shocked.gif
It is hard to overdose on b vitamins too. My vet told me 2 cc for my 300lb minis. Did your recent vet check include any bloodwork? This won't help you to know about b vitamins (stored in cells, not in blood) but you can tell a lot about organ function by a good bloodwork up.

One last thing, not that it is not ill-fitting tack or soreness, but assuming or ruling those out... the more horses learn, the more they have in their arsenal to use against you!
default_gaah.gif
It is possible, if nothing else comes out being the problem, that he is doing what any of us would do...anything we can to get out of working harder than necessary! If left without supervision or any sort of guidance at work, eventually most people would begin to do the bare minimum. He may have just figured out how to get you to let him be lazy! Now he is protesting having to work harder than he would like! OR he could be confused if he was trained by someone other than you. At first he was strong in his training and understanding. After awhile, he might be confused without a refresher. I second the suggestion of taking some lessons with a good driving trainer. If they tweek one tiny thing and it makes you and your horse happier, it is worth every penny!

Ok, Ok, I have babbled on long enough...probably no one is reading anymore! LOL
default_mlala.gif
I find this fascinating. I have a certain mare who I would love to try this with. She has always been a certain way, and is extremely smart, so it is hard to tell what is "her" and what could be ulcers. She doesn't have "classic" signs, just weird, little ones that I notice. I meant to have the vet pull blood a few weeks ago, but completely forgot (More focused on other horses who were sick) but plan to next time he is out, just to be safe. In the mean time, this is something I could try. Heck, I'm sure several of the horses would benefit from an all hay diet...

If I had to guess, I'd say that the stress level of your recent competitions got him. I would take him off grain for a little while so his ulcers can heal. Then when the stomach lining has repaired itself, your grain will become a non issue again. That is what I would do if it was my fur kid. The fact that he would rather have hay and not grain is the give away for me!
default_luck.gif
My question to you, is how do you "not" feed grain to one horse when those around him are getting it? I mean I can't take the young horses off their grain, and I know my family would not take the large horses off of their grain either. Is there any grain that isn't grain? Such as hay chunks or multi-vitamins? Or does that defeat the no grain diet purpose. Also is it ONLY alfalfa hay? It is very high in protein, isn't it? My parents have often expressed not wanting alfalfa only hay for that reason.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Leia, Where did you get your U-Gard Pellets? Not sure if I can get them over here.

To the OP; wishing you the best for a fast recovery for your boy.
default_unsure.png

I did not read every word here so I might be repeating....

I have quite a bit of (failed) experience with ulcers, but some things might work on other horses. To solve the "what do you give the one with ulcers when everyone else gets grain?": I gave Max soaked alfalfa cubes, topped with a product called Stomach Soother, which is just pureed papaya. (Google it or you might even find it a a local feed shop). He adored them unless the ulcers were really bad. I could also add supplements to this. I have also heard that exercise itself is bad because of the empty stomach issue. Slow hay feeders are another great idea, as is anything that simulates grazing. Well, grazing is best! The Stomach Soother can also be given in a dosing syringe, which I would use as a first step whenever Max showed signs of pain. Sometimes that would be enough to ease the pain and get him to eat.

I also gave him tiny amounts of a complete senior feed which is about as much "not a grain" as you can get. Alfalfa pellet based, and relatively low in starch.

If the ulcers are active, you need to TREAT with Gastroguard/Ulcerguard (at the treatment dose) for a month or so. Preventive measures (such as U-Gard) at that stage is unlikely to help much.

Last edited by a moderator:
MiLo Minis said:
I feed my horses 4 times per day as I am home here with them so it is no problem. ... The show horses do get concentrated feeds and feed additives for their coat and condition and part of their hay portion is replaced by this. All the horses always have a bucket of water in their stall, I feed them their hay and then go about making up their buckets of concentrated feed, grain. They are happily and quietly munching on their hay while I am getting the buckets ready. They get their grain but not until they have gotten a good portion of hay into their bellies. Their is no "pawing for grain", "scarfing" or "gobbling".
Sometimes we seem to get our wires crossed, Lori, and I'm trying really hard not to take that last line about people throwing food at them when it's convenient personally given that you quoted me and seem to object to my choice of words.
default_rolleyes.gif
My horses have large tubs of clear fresh water available at all times in a sheltered spot, I feed them three times a day, often with another hay snack thrown in if I'm home to give it, and I DO feed their hay at least ten minutes before their grain so they have taken out their initial munchies on a safe substance and don't dive into their grain. I apologize if the fact my horses like their grain and sometimes paw for it while chewing a mouthful of hay somehow indicates I'm a poor horsekeeper.
default_unsure.png
Neither of my horses rushes their grain consumption but after years of Kody frequently acting like he wanted grain, eating maybe a mouthful of it then looking regretful and unhappy and going back to his hay, you have to understand how happy it makes me to see him ask for his feed and not leave the bucket until he is done. My full-sized horses always acted like their concentrates were a special treat and so did Kody before he got ulcers, and it hurt me to see him clearly want it but backing away in learned avoidance even after 60 days of ulcer treatment.

I work darn hard to make sure my horses are kept in as natural a fashion as can be managed here in the middle of the suburbs and do my best to make sure they are happy. Both have full-time turnout in large paddocks with trees and natural terrain, frequent small feedings on copious roughage, only as much concentrates as is necessary to keep their toplines in good condition when they are in work, and while they have a snug barn they can choose to come and go as they please. My full-sized horses never had an ulcer or colic problem and lived to ripe old age in good health. Kody's just one of those horses who has problems, maybe because of the stress of his bad stifles all those years and then his back pain. Who knows? I feel as if you're assuming I've done something wrong to cause his problems (like feeding grain before hay) and I have to admit that hurts after all the effort I've put into trying to help him. I apologize if I'm reading more into your statements than you intended, this is an emotionally hot issue for me.

JMS Miniatures said:
Well being on UlcerGuard seemed to help, his behavior was a whole lot better too. But after a couple of days being off of it he has gone back down hill. So maybe just need something stronger, but probably be taking him back to the vet again this week. He has been getting alfalfa all year.
That makes me think that he definitely has ulcers and needs a continued course of treatment. After the first time 30 days wasn't enough my vet had me do it for 45 and then taper off the treatment for another few weeks in graduated doses. That worked, but the problem soon came back without additional measures to prevent a new ulcer from forming.

midnight star stables said:
Leia, Where did you get your U-Gard Pellets? Not sure if I can get them over here.
I buy them from my local feed store but SmartPak and Valley Vet and most other catalogues carry it too. Valley Vet

Leia

In this day of people working and trying to keep horses at home it is difficult for some to schedule their horses in. Too many people are just throwing feed at them when it is convenient for them and I think this is a huge part of the problem regarding ulcers.
I don't think that Lori was pointing her finger at anyone. This is a fact of life for most people. I'll admit, I don't feed my horses more than twice a day. My horses are turned out 23/7 in a herd (They are in for about an hour when I work some horse or futz around the barn.) I do use slow feeders when it is logical, but my horses come into the barn for their "grain". I do give them hay with it, though. I just have never "babied" my horses. Over the course of my professional life, I haven't had time to. I worked 45 min. from my house. Would it be better for their systems if I did feed them more often? Yeah, probably. But most people we know do the same thing, and have for years. Yes, that could be why we (collectively in the industry) see more instances of ulcers overall. If you have the time and resources to change up your system to be more "ulcer concious", go for it.

But the other thing I have heard is if you can't be there to feed them 3-4 times a day every day, don't get them started on it. When we go away for the day or for the weekend and have someone do our chores, we can't expect them to feed 3-4 times a day, so we don't have them on that system. It would screw them up more not to be fed consistently. Same goes for feeding every day at the same time. If you can't do it every day, don't get started on a routine like that. Our horses get fed somewhere between 6-9 every day in the morning, and 4-8 in the evening. They know it is about feeding time, but they aren't pitching a fit if we are a little "late".

Myrna

My question to you, is how do you "not" feed grain to one horse when those around him are getting it? I mean I can't take the young horses off their grain, and I know my family would not take the large horses off of their grain either. Is there any grain that isn't grain? Such as hay chunks or multi-vitamins? Or does that defeat the no grain diet purpose. Also is it ONLY alfalfa hay? It is very high in protein, isn't it? My parents have often expressed not wanting alfalfa only hay for that reason.
I feed coastal like normal and give my ulcer suspect alfalfa hay in place of his grain. No one feels left out and the grain is not needed. I am not suggesting replacing anything other than the grain with some alfalfa...if they start getting too plump (never had that problem with the ones with ulcers) you can back off the amount of alfalfa.

I feed all my babies some alfalfa as well as any mare that is preggers or nursing. Everything in moderation, alfalfa is a very good addition to a diet...an example of how much, I split one flake between my going to be 14hh ish pony yearling and 3 minis ( with about half going to the pony foal) and the rest get only coastal from a roundbale. That is each feeding. The pony foal is just having so many growth spurts, it is hard to keep up with them with only coastal and Strategy. Mares in foal and lactating need more calcium and protien to give to the foal. In California, only a "low class" barn would not give at LEAST one flake of alfalfa a day. I know it is not that popular in other parts of the US, but I seldom heard the word ulcer in CA either. There might be something to that!

Sometimes we seem to get our wires crossed, Lori, and I'm trying really hard not to take that last line about people throwing food at them when it's convenient personally given that you quoted me and seem to object to my choice of words.
default_rolleyes.gif
I apologize if I'm reading more into your statements than you intended, this is an emotionally hot issue for me.Leia
Actually Leia, I wasn't pointing fingers at you or anyone else personally.
default_no.gif
I have just noticed a preponderance of Minis coming down with ulcers lately, and actually more often now with full size horses as well, and have been wondering why that is. From what I have heard and observed it seems that it is because of rushed time schedules that don't allow for a more natural feed schedule and also because a lot of people are feeding far more cencentrates and much less hay. I also think that a lot of "colic's" in the past were undiagnosed ulcers.

I am lucky enough to be home all day with my horses and have a husband that can feed the same way when I am not at home. I don't adhere to a strict time schedule so that my horses never know EXACTLY when feeding time is going to be so don't get worked up and anxious about feeding time. Basically I just keep hay in their stalls all day so that if they are not out in the paddock where they can nibble on grass they can nibble on hay at any given moment. The way you worded your post it sounded like your horses were getting their grain either first or at the same time as their hay causing them to mow into their grain while ignoring their hay and that has been something I have seen many times at many Mini barns not because the owner isn't trying to feed them properly but due to time constraints in the owner's life. Hay eaten after concentrates pushing the feed through their system too quickly making it less utilized and also causing problems with their digestion.

I also have seen that many Mini owners feed mainly concentrated feeds in place of hay with the mistaken idea that hay will give them a pot belly.

Years ago sweet feed was considered a very good choice of feed for horses but that was back when the grooms/board barn owners took care of feeding and the horses could be fed smaller amounts more frequently. Lately, with more and more people keeping horses on their own property whilst working full time more horses are being fed twice daily, morning and night, sweet feed has been causing problems because horse's systems can't deal with the sudden lumps of feed - sweet feed is no longer a good choice for many horses. Horses are meant to eat small portions frequently.

I know that you have always done your best by your horses.

Do ulcers occur more frequently these days, or do more people recognize them as the problem?

I tend to suspect the latter.

Do ulcers occur more frequently these days, or do more people recognize them as the problem?

I tend to suspect the latter.

That's what I meant when I said that I think a lot of "colics" in the past were actually ulcers but even then I think more horses are "colic-ing" now than ever before and I think it is because we are working their schedules around us rather than as before.

I have always fed a large amount of chaff with my feeds- I would not, in fact, ever feed grain without the bulk of the chaff and usually beet pulp, to help carry it through the system. I have had one mare with what we call "ulcers" (of course it is not ulcers, very few horses go on to get ulcers. They have what I have, a build up of gastric or duodenal acid, that causes extreme pain and will lead to ulcers if not treated) And she was very ill at one point. Once treated she recovered quickly- she has always been highly strung and so reacts badly to pain. I put her on Ranitidene (merely because I get it for myself so it is free!) before every show and she was fine after that.

When I have a horse stalled they have hay all the time, and are usually fed three times a day- once in the morning, when they let me know they are ready by throwing their feed bins over the door and hopping up and down, one when they are out in their paddocks at lunchtime, and one in the evening when they have to walk in quietly and behave, and stand and do their "pretty horse" act for showing, before being let into their stalls- they also have to have their blankets back on, if they have been outside naked, so it is discipline before goodies at my place.

All I can tell you is that this works, perfectly, for me.

Is it the only way that works?

Obviously not, but it might be worth trying......

The vet wants me to continue to use the UlcerGuard for 4 more weeks. He didn't say to taper it off but after talking to more people about it they said to do that. Its just doesn't seem to be doing the trick as it did the first time. He was eating a tiny bit better the past couple of times but this morning not so much. Again this is just a handful of mineral pellets. I called another vet for a second opinion and basiclly told me the same thing. I also bought him a product called Karbo Combo thats a Immune building suppelment and that will help clean up the digestive tract and has been known to help horses with ulcers. I have thought about giving this to him before the ulcers showed up so decided to get it now. Also once he gets better after looking at the mini feed more closely with other people I've decided that the mini feed just doesn't work for him and going to be buying him something that doesn't requre so much grain and thats really low in starch so that way he has more room to eat more hay. Considering how much color and shine he lost for Nationals being on the mini feed for a few months I just don't think he is digesting it correctly. Monday going back to the vets regardless either to buy more tubes of U-Guard or telling the vet he's not improving.

Latest posts

Back