I'm upset!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
I just got though paying off my last mare ( a month ago) . I should be very happy. I called the breeder to ask if they were going to mail me the paperwork. They started to tell me the lost the papers.
default_sad.png
. So I ask if they knew the numbers and I could get a duplicate!

Well then they told me the mare can't be registered!!! I got mad and said that it was put in the contract that she was registered. Well I told them to get the paperwork or they will pay me back the money and they come and pick up their horse.

Well I really really like this mare a lot! I don't want to give her back but I don't want the money going down the drain. She wasn't a cheap horse either.... Grrrrrr

Am I being rude to them!

Oh no
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I am so sorry!!! I hope they can come up with the papers and hold up their end of this deal!!!!!

If you like the mare and want to keep her and they still cannot come up with the papers, what i would do, is ask them to refund the money needed to hardship/DNA and do all the bloodtesting ext on the mare and register her. I would ask for the $600(amha) + $260(amhr), i would imagine that be the least they could do.

I'm sorry and no you are not being rude
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this isn't a well known breeder! Gosh I couldn't imagine doing that to someone. Even if they think they lost the papers, they can request duplicates from the registries at their cost.

You aren't being rude at all. If the signed contract clearly states that the mare is registered then they are at fault, they have technically broken the contract and you are entitled to a refund.

Nope, if I signed a contract stating the horse was registred it better be.....that's not something that just happens overnight. It's either registered or it's not, no gray area.

Well, that is really too bad. I feel for you. You have every right to be upset.

Although it was in the contract that she was registered I would suggest to everyone that they get a COPY of all papers. If the seller refuses to send you a copy it would send up a big red flag for me and I would steer clear. There are many ways a buyer can protect themselves.

Another thing also that just crossed my mind for those it may help -- know WHO the mini is registered with. There's a big difference in the weight of papers on a horse registered with AMHA and / or AMHR vs. a horse registered with only WCMHR or Gold Seal. A crooked person could guarantee a mini is "registered" but if it's not registered with AMHA or AMHR, then I'd have no use for the paperwork.

I emailed the breeder saying that in the contract it states that she is registered. I held my part of the contract and paid for the horse four months early! (with my birthday money).

I was reading the 2 page contract and it does say the mares A and R number. I told them I have no problem paying for the duplicates.

I called A and they did say the color, height, age was right, and in the breeders name. But then again they only have 200 horses. So I think that they hopefully lost the paperwork.
default_rolleyes.gif
. I am hoping with the hoildays they don't want to find the papers and just told me a lie!

Well, that is really too bad. I feel for you. You have every right to be upset.

Although it was in the contract that she was registered I would suggest to everyone that they get a COPY of all papers. If the seller refuses to send you a copy it would send up a big red flag for me and I would steer clear. There are many ways a buyer can protect themselves.

I bought 4 or 5 horses ( copy of papers included) from them already before I saw this mare. I didn't think after 4 horses this would happen! Some only had R papers and the breeders told me that...

The breeder I am buying my new mare from, along with the contract sent me copies of her papers. When I finish paying her off I get the original. Also the first mare I bought her registration number was in the contract. I think this is a good practice. That way if someone misplaces the papers you do have the number. Besides I have the horse looked up with AMHA before I pay for it. That way I know the person selling the horse is the person that owns the horse. Not that I don't trust people. But I knew a man that was buying some land. Some time into his purchase he found out the person selling the land didn't own it and was not an agent for the owner. You just have to be careful.

If you have the AMHA and AMHR Registration numbers I would check with both AMHA and AMHR that first she is registered and second to the sellers name. Then I would fill out the appropriate forms requesting new papers, as well as transfer forms and send them to the seller with a self addressed envelope. I would also request that they give you a check to cover the cost of getting new papers. Have all of that mailed back to you so that you can send everything in as well as the required photos to both AMHA and AMHR. I would not rely on them doing it, or it will never get done.

If someone has 200 horses and are breeding them for resale, they had better have all of their paperwork together and go out of their way to have it taken care of for you!! There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. I know how frustrating it can be, as I am sure that all of us have had it happen. In some cases with very expensive horses.

Good luck to you, do not back down from this as you need the paperwork on your horse!!

I got a email back.

She said she'll send a duplicate for A and all the R work is together.

default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
. I swear!

I was reading the 2 page contract and it does say the mares A and R number. I told them I have no problem paying for the duplicates.
I called A and they did say the color, height, age was right, and in the breeders name. But then again they only have 200 horses. So I think that they hopefully lost the paperwork.
default_rolleyes.gif
. I am hoping with the hoildays they don't want to find the papers and just told me a lie!

I bought 4 or 5 horses ( copy of papers included) from them already before I saw this mare. I didn't think after 4 horses this would happen! Some only had R papers and the breeders told me that...

You have to wonder if they "lie" about that -what else are they lying about?????

I sold a colt that I listed as A&R application. Come to find out, the A went through fine but R was a no go (due to mare's age.) It was an honest mistake on my part and I paid to hardship into R for the buyer on their A papers. Thankfully, the buyer understood and let me correct the mistake. There is a big difference between an honest mistake and a lie.

Stuff happens. But why lie about it? Trust is a hard, hard thing to get back.....

I really think something is wrong with AMHa, and they aren't telling me.

I'm hoping that the mare needs to be DNA tested!

sounds shady if you ask me.

As was already pointed out, there's a difference between an honest mistake and a lie. Papers are important, and should be kept in order and updated IMO

I just got though paying off my last mare ( a month ago) . I should be very happy. I called the breeder to ask if they were going to mail me the paperwork. They started to tell me the lost the papers.
default_sad.png
. So I ask if they knew the numbers and I could get a duplicate!

Well then they told me the mare can't be registered!!! I got mad and said that it was put in the contract that she was registered. Well I told them to get the paperwork or they will pay me back the money and they come and pick up their horse.

Well I really really like this mare a lot! I don't want to give her back but I don't want the money going down the drain. She wasn't a cheap horse either.... Grrrrrr

Am I being rude to them!

You have a PM!!

ALWAYS get a copy of the horses papers that you are buying, even if from a friend. I then have a lease signed for the amount of time that I will be paying off the horse. That way if I send the lease into AMHA and there is a problem, I will hear about it early.

I hope things get straightened out for you.

Robin

I typically go over the seller's head and verify all information about a horse for sale, with the registeries before I go further with a purchase.

Unfortunatly, many of us have learned this lesson the hard way.

default_sad.png
Good news! I finally called the lady, and asked what was going on. I asked for the truth and NOTHING but the truth.

They are going to pay to get a duplicate and going to pay to get the horse transfer into my name. Since I've been a nice person though all of this...

Latest posts

Back