I'm really angry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I am not saying that we should go into Iran guns a blazing. That would only make things worse because once again the "outsiders" (meaning Europeen countries, Canada, the U.S. etc. etc) would give this government and religious leaders in that country an escape-goat to blame all of this on us which would only give fuel to the fanatics and give them an excuse to come to our soil and cause terroristic acts. Now if a genocide was occuring in Iran or should occur you bet the world needs to come together and yes go over there. Not just one or two countries but many. I have no idea why we let the genoide in Rwanda happen, why governments around the world didn't go and help. Perhaps it was because we were not aware of the extent of what was being done? Were media allowed? I would have to research because I truly don't know and never researched it. All I know is that movie made me ill and it was difficult to watch. I could have turned the t.v. off but I didn't. Oh I looked away from the screen a few times, for sure, but I thought it was important to know exactly what had transpired. We have to learn from history, so that these kinds of things don't repeat themselves and if they do, that we aren't complacent about it.

The point I was trying to get across was specifically about what the original poster spoke of which is extreme graphic videos being shown and basically asking is it really necessary and of course her question about should there be a warning. I totally agree with everyone that says that the media have a responsibility to let the viewers know when something they are about to show is extremely graphic so that the viewer has the option to watch or turn the channel but I also agree that they have a responsibility to not candy-coat anything. The reason I say that is in our society now we are so use to some of these extremely violent movies, or lets violent video games that are out there, etc. that we almost have become complacent. I can watch a violent movie, I might cringe at certain parts but I hve to say when I watched Neda's video the emotions I literally felt ill to my stomach and I was angry and I cried.... THIS WAS REAL!!! What I was watching was not some movie.... I don't know how to express it, but as I said I was on Twitter that day and when messages were coming in fast and furious and information about what was happening and the cry went out for embassies in Tehran to open their doors, well I picked-up the phone and call the Canadian Consulate. This is something I probably wouldn't have done if I had not see this video and had perhaps just read about. Not because I didn't care but this video was worth a million words. It spoke to me in a way that a newspaper article wouldn't have.

So in a nutshell all I am saying is that videos that are graphic do have a place in journalism and reporting. It is your choice whether you want to watch it or not. I don't want news agencies run by the province or the state. The free press is truly a gift and many of these journalist risk their lives in situations like these and many have been arrested in doing their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I decided to find out some answers about Rwanda and why the world didn't go and help and I did a google of "Rwanda why we didn't help" and this came up. I have not read it yet, am about to, but the title caught my eye and the fact that this professor is at Carleton University which is here in Ottawa.

http://www.journalismethics.ca/interviews/...e_in_Rwanda.htm

Very interesting article and it does explain the lack of media coverage, etc.

Perhaps in the case of Iran journalist decided that it was important to get the world's attention. As they say truth is power. Images have much more impact than the written word in cases like this. I applaud the journalists for bringing this video forward. Today the Iranian government made a statement saying that Neda's shooter thought she was the sister of some man they know to be a terrorist. Do you buy that explanation? I sure as heck don't. Anyway, I can't explain it and it maynot make sense to some but having seen that video of Neda truly changed me. It is something I will never never never forget nor will I ever forget this young woman's name nor will I ever forgive her shooter, their President nor their supreme leader. They can spin their lies all they want ..... I pray that the dear people of Iran who are fighting such a difficult fight for something we often take for granted in our countries - freedom - that eventually they will achieve what should be EVERYONE'S right on this planet.

Danielle ...I just love you girlfriend ((((HUGS)))) I love how you feel and think
default_biggrin.png

Right or wrong, times like this make the idea of a "world policeman" not seem like such a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back