I'm really angry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
First off, this is NOT political...it is about the media/news etc.

I'm just really upset.....with some of the graphic images, videos etc that the media puts out there. I am talking BAD!

Many probably have already heard of the women from Tehran.......and the video that they have of her all over the news....

I am not even going to say what it is about.... if you want to know you can pm me......it is to horrible to even write

Anyway...I should have the right to choose what I see and what I do NOT want to see right? It is that old...if you don't like it turn the channel....well warn me first what you are about to do to me!!!!!!!

I try not to watch too much news as it is a bit depressing to me but I do watch some to know what is going on in my country and in the word.

I don't expect..... when I am watching the news......to see what I did today......without even being warned that they were going to show it.......so that I could choose to turn the channel......it is so completely disturbing to me what they showed.

I mean am I being unreasonable??? That the media goes a bit too far with what they show?? :arg! :arg! :arg!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they have to show upsetting things a warning at the least should be expected

If it is about the girl that was killed have some respect for her families privacy

in such a sad time
default_no.gif
media

No, I totally agree with you. I find it so terrible...the violence and the pain. The media is so disrespectful...and for what...just for ratings.

But I am also horrified by those that watch this 24/7 for seemingly entertainment. Maybe if more people chose not to watch they would limit the coverage.

I understand how you feel. I feel like the news needs to get out, but when it's as horrific as what you are describing (I unfortunately did see), there should be some kind of upfront visual and audible warning (like a sharp tone, vs. words) to get your attention to the fact that what they're about to show is extremely disturbing. That is a terrible video to see and the father's anguish It's not something most people should see unless they are fully prepared. Reading or hearing what happened is something people should have the option for (vs. being surprised by what's shown to you w/o expecting it). Even the words "extremely graphic" do not in any way prepare you for what it actually is.

Do you remember after 9/11 some of the awful images that were published in papers? I remember a picture of a man who had jumped out of a window at the WTC and when I first saw it, I just was sure it was a hoax but it wasn't. I still remember it. It wasn't gory, but it isn't anything I can ever forget... the expression on his face. It is just like a fist around your heart and a punch in the stomach all at once. I can appreciate how unspeakably horrible what happened was without having to see a picture (or these days, video) of a person in that situation. It's the kind of thing if you see it, you do not ever forget it.

Does anyone remember the old Anne Murray song "A Little Good News Today"

that is what i would like to see and hear

Good point, hahler!

I too am disgusted with the media's increasing tendency to 'dwell upon and linger over', the saddest of the sad stories--and can't understand WHY they do this? What public 'good' is served?

Last week, a State Police helicopter crashed up above Santa Fe while on a rescue mission, killing the pilot and the young woman, a lost hiker, they'd picked up(thank God, one other, the 'spotter', survived). Almost IMMEDIATELY, the local TV stations are playing, over and OVER, for a couple of days, the 'last' transmissions between the dead pilot and the dispatcher, who happened to be his WIFE...How insensitive is that?

It also seems nowadays that TV broadcasters go to great lengths to get people in the 'fresh' grip of grief to appear on camera, so that the interviewer can 'wring more tears' out of them...I know it's their choice, but...when you are grieving, you aren't thinking straight, and IMO, the media is too quick to take advantage....HOW is it 'helpful' to ANYONE to display people's deep grief like laundry hung out to dry?

Phooey on the media.

Margo

Get rid of your cable. It's all about a buck. Sensational news makes more watchers which makes more advertising bucks. I think we are fast becoming a generation of news junkies. If you get withdrawal if you don't watch, then that would be an addiction.

Sort of like if I don't check in with Lil Beginnings every day
default_biggrin.png

Gotta disagree over this one...what the Iranian forces did to that young girl Neda is outrageous and and the entire world should be outraged. To hide it - to me - disrespects her loss. Those baskets (use another word here) MURDERED her and it's HORRIFIC to see but it's more horrific to live that way and I think we need to know exactly what's going on over there and not hide our heads in the sand beacuse we don't want to see or face it. I saw what they did to her and it outraged me. I'm glad I saw it because I don't want regimes like that in our world where people like Neda should be able to protest, and live, and work and enjoy life without being shot and killed. It's real and it really happened - that poor girl lost her life and I for one don't want to turn my head because it's uncomfortable to see because it's only through seeing what goes on that enables us to face these realities and do something about it.

...so spoken by someone who studied law and journalism and was a member of "the press" for numerous years
default_rolleyes.gif

I support the freedom of the press.

What I really wanted to state that I was angry about........

Is that I would like to be warned before the media puts video/photos like that on TV.

I am sitting on my couch minding my own business in my home and look up at the tv and there it is.

I want to be able to choose wether or not I see someone shot and bleeding to death

I don't agree with it that the media chooses to air such graphic video...that is going a bit too far.... but I would like to be warned that they are going to show it. I am not one of those people that whine about....people shouldn't do this or people shouldn't do that.....I just want a choice.......

I personally don't need to see that to know the violence that goes on in the world.
default_sad.png

I guess I"m curious to know from anyone that is in the media......what do they consider to be too graphic and too much?

I also think it was disgraceful to that women and her family to air that. I hardly doubt that they gave permission to do that.

But that is freedom of the press right?
default_no.gif
That is really too bad.

Gotta disagree over this one...what the Iranian forces did to that young girl Neda is outrageous and and the entire world should be outraged. To hide it - to me - disrespects her loss. Those baskets (use another word here) MURDERED her and it's HORRIFIC to see but it's more horrific to live that way and I think we need to know exactly what's going on over there and not hide our heads in the sand beacuse we don't want to see or face it. I saw what they did to her and it outraged me. I'm glad I saw it because I don't want regimes like that in our world where people like Neda should be able to protest, and live, and work and enjoy life without being shot and killed. It's real and it really happened - that poor girl lost her life and I for one don't want to turn my head because it's uncomfortable to see because it's only through seeing what goes on that enables us to face these realities and do something about it.
...so spoken by someone who studied law and journalism and was a member of "the press" for numerous years
default_rolleyes.gif

Last week a friends daughter was killed in a car accident. It did not take long for the reporters to start calling their home. They were able to have friends take turns answering the phone to avoid talking to them but they were very persistent. It seems they even had reporters in the church and could not get their facts straight as to what was said in the church. They even followed the family to the cemetary.

Where they live there are only two local newspapers that only come out once a week. The closet daily newspaper to them reported all the facts wrong, not just once but ever single story they printed had some facts incorrect. If they had used the police report they would at least have had the accident information correct.

When I saw how off the mark they were it really made me think of how easily the public is lead to believe incorrect information. Not only in regard to this accident but for everything we read in the news papers. When you look at the larger picture how inaccurate is our written history?

Wee Mite, I couldnt agree more. During the Waco Branch Davidian 'thing' , it was amazing how our local news reported one thing, national another and a friend who lived nearby, saw yet another. I wish they would get back to investigative reporting and not just heresay.

default_rolleyes.gif

Very well said, I agree.

default_rolleyes.gif

Very well said, I agree.
I have to say I agree with the above posters. This world is truly not that big of a place anymore, meaning you can travel either by plane or the blink of an eye by internet. The entire world is connected now unlike it was for our great grandparents, etc. I am the type of person who wants to be "informed" about what is happening around the world, whether good or bad. I want to know more than just what is happening in my little corner of the world. Something that happens in one country can certinaly impact what happens in your own country. Whether it be politics, economics, etc. etc. I do agree if the channel you were watching didn't give a warning to the nature of the video. The media has indirectly helped the Iranian people by showing clips of Neda and of the riots, etc. etc. Otherwise we never could have understood the magnitude of the oppression that was happening. Many people have friends, or perhaps family that are living in Tehran. I know my Director's immediate family reside in Tehran. Rachelle came to live in Canada just before the 1979 revolution in that country to study and she never went back and she told me yesterday she never wants to go back either. She has been unable to contact her mother because the government has cut phone lines, and are jamming the internet when they can.

I now work for the Canadian government but before this job I travelled extensively in Canada and worked in Europe for months. I can understand those that have never travelled outside of their own country may not feel the need to know what is happening in other countries but I happen to be the total opposite.

There was ar article today in our newspaper about Neda and how the "regime" and mullahs did not allow a funeral at any mosque for her and that she was buried very quickly. The 200 or so people that found out and showed up at the cemetery were beaten and water canons used on them. Also an interesting note is that her father works for the government. I wonder how that poor man feels now knowing responsbile for taking her life. The poor woman wasn't even protesting. They were on their way to see the protest as apparently she was upset about the vote. They got out of their car about a kilometre away from the demonstration when a shooter on one of the roof's aimed and shot her.
default_no.gif
. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case it's a billion words. Yes it was graphic but many of use watch movies that are as graphic and we almost become de-sensitized to this unless you see and your brain registers this is not fake, this is REAL, real life that you can't pretend doesn't exist, as much as we wish the world was a peaceful and utopian place. Evil exists, it truly does and we should never fool ourselves to this even though our immediate little world isn't.

To the people that agree with the media....and how they handle things...

Do you feel that things that are inappropriate for children.........should be stated before hand and made clear that it is graphic and inappriate for some viewers.....so that the parents/guardians can get them out of the room or get the channel changed???? Or anything of that type??? Or do they feel that everyone no matter age should know what is going on in our world so that we don't bury our heads in the sand.....

I still haven't really gotten an answer on .....where the media is concerned..and from those in that profession....what is to much and were the line is drawn....are children at least exempt from this? Or is media good for all to watch???? even the horrific stuff.... so that everyone has a really good idea of the evil in the world and that the young ones don't grow up oblivous to what is going on...

If anyone works in the media.....if you have children....is it ok for them then to have watched that video... as a good lesson for what is going on in the word???? Perhaps they would agree then that this could be shown in schools? So that the kids don't grow up with their heads in the sand? I am just trying to get an idea of what the thought process is of the media people that is all.

Anyone that works in journalism/media please feel free to comment on the above statement.

Again......warnings given on content when shown on tv would be nice.

What news are you watching?

The news I watch (usually public broadcasting) generally warns viewers before they air graphic violence or anything "unsuitable for some family members," but they DO NOT make patronizing decisions as to what I should see or not see.

Sadly, my vision keeps me from reading newspapers and news magazines, as I much prefer the print media to broadcast. I avoid the sensational tabloid-esque stations and shows, as the crap they call news does not in any way resemble journalism. Edward R. Murrow would roll over in his grave.

While I can appreciate a warning, I want the plain, unvarnished, unfiltered news. The purpose of the media is to disseminate information, not to be our babysitters. Rather than being so quick and willing to throw away our freedom of the press, we all need to stop accepting bimbo broadcasting and support those who do it right. Turn the channel to find real journalism, yes, but be careful what you ask for. Ask any Iranian...I doubt they're hearing anything about this incident.

Of course, not even the best shows would ever consider warning about the stories that really upset me -- anything involving the death of an animal.

I guess once a journalist (print media) always a journalist so maybe I qualify as a member of the press...When my kids were younger (under 10) I didn't allow the news on TV when they were around. Kids don't need to know how cruel the world can be at that age - and that's about all that's on the news.

Most stations will give a graphic video/story warning before showing so if you're isn't....find a new station.

But always remember...99% of the news is about violence, death, crime, wars etc these days so the ultimate option is the little red "off" button
default_biggrin.png

The thing that really makes me the angriest with most of the media is that they do not really "just" report the facts or show more than one side of a given story. Opinions are now spoon fed to many people and they take those (media given) opinions in as if they are unbiased fact
default_sad.png

Do you feel that things that are inappropriate for children.........should be stated before hand and made clear that it is graphic and inappriate for some viewers.....so that the parents/guardians can get them out of the room or get the channel changed???? Or anything of that type??? Or do they feel that everyone no matter age should know what is going on in our world so that we don't bury our heads in the sand.....
I learnt about Neda's death on Twitter before it was reported on the news channels. I saw the video before it was broadcast on any television news programs.

I can't imagine a young child watching lets say CNN or FOX news for any kind of extended time BUT having said that they should ALWAYS give a warning before showing something that will be upsetting to many. I watched CNN later that day and they did air the clip but they also gave a warning before. For those that said they saw the clip on a news channel and there was no warning I am not sure if they meant a network that only does mainly news like FOX news or CNN or was this on the local news of one of their local stations?

If the journalists and t.v. news station had not aired this clip and only had a commentary on the story, the outrage, IMHO, would not have been the same at all with the public in regards to this incident of a young woman brutally murdered by her government (president and mullahs). When I say government here I mean the basiji that shot her. The basiji is a volunteer paramilitary organization.

The Basij are subordinate to, and receive their orders from, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and Khamenei.
. I also further understand that the Basij also beat a 7 year old boy
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
. The world needs to stop putting their head in the sand and say "oh it doesn't affect me, not my problem". Can you imagine if the world would have said that when Hitler was in power? We all would be leading a very different life. Not that long ago really the world turned it's back on Rouanda and look at the genocide that happened there. The world went on it's merry way not answering the pleas for help. I watched the movie Hotel Rouanda and was aghast at what I was seeing (very difficult movie to watch) and thought to myself after "where were we all during this time", "why didn't we do something?"... So I don't agree with those that say that these kind of images, the ones we saw of Neda, should be surpressed because often they are a tool, a wake-up call to the rest of the world to know and do whatever is humanly possible to help stop some of the atrocities that happen in this world everyday. These people in countries where these things happened didn't ask to be born into these countries. Yes of course they could leave but where would they go? Could many of them afford to move or even be allowed into safe countries? Immigration laws sometimes put road-blocks infront of those that shouldn't haven them but sometimes allow others that truly should not have been allowed in.

I haven't had the television news on in weeks now--not disinterested, just busy. I keep track of "things" from listening to the radio (usually while I'm driving somewhere, to or from work or wherever) and internet so don't feel I'm sticking my head in the sand....I'm saddened and horrified by the things going on in Iran, even though I haven't seen the graphic videos or even photos.

oh it doesn't affect me, not my problem". Can you imagine if the world would have said that when Hitler was in power? We all would be leading a very different life. Not that long ago really the world turned it's back on Rouanda and look at the genocide that happened there. The world went on it's merry way not answering the pleas for help. I watched the movie Hotel Rouanda and was aghast at what I was seeing (very difficult movie to watch) and thought to myself after "where were we all during this time", "why didn't we do something?"... So I don't agree with those that say that these kind of images, the ones we saw of Neda, should be surpressed because often they are a tool, a wake-up call to the rest of the world to know and do whatever is humanly possible to help stop some of the atrocities that happen in this world everyday. These people in countries where these things happened didn't ask to be born into these countries.
So you're saying "we" should be in Iran? After all the squawking people do about our troops being in Iraq and Afghanistan I'm surprised to hear someone suggest (unless I'm reading your post wrong) that "we" should be doing something about Iran, and should have done something about Rwanda....and in all honesty the world decided to do something about Hitler even without showing the general public horrifying images of what he was doing to people in Europe. I think it makes a sorry statement about our lives if it takes graphic video to make the general public respond and care about things like what is going on in Iran.

Latest posts

Back