Im new here ... Introduction and Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Hi All

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tee and I am a stay at home mom for my animals (my kids are in thier 20's) and have flewn the coop already. I live in Alberta on 180 acre farm, most of which is hay, other than that we have a large barn and indoor arena (heated of course cuz like I said I live in AB).

My animals are pets, I have shown my Quarter horses but that is in the past.

I am owned by 2 Quarter Horses geldings (Chex and Levi) and a mini pinto filly (Crystal), mini donkey gelding (Beau) and 3 chihuahuas (Chevy, Tuff and Cheyenne).

I have been involved with mini's before and had one mare that I adopted pregnant foal out.

I have been to a couple mini shows to watch and am always trying to learn more to better the

lives of my little guys.

I would like to breed Crystal (1 time and 1 time only) a couple years in the future to raise a baby from birth up, and that baby would stay with us regardless of color or gender.

What is the smallest mare you would breed ?

Do you go with a smaller stallion than the mare to keep the baby small ?

Thats all for now, just wanted to say Hi and that I look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Welcome From the great state of Texas!

Many people breed the tiny ones, I like the 32-33 inchers myself. I would just say, breed to a smaller stallion, and make sure you can be there at the birth to give assistance if you have to.

Have fun with your filly!

Welcome to the forums.
default_saludando.gif

As for the whole "raise the baby from birth", since you actually don't want to "get into" breeding, just go buy your new perfect foal. It will probably be cheaper, shopping is more fun then mare-stare and you'll get exactly what you want, healthy and whole! Breeding really isn't all it's cracked up to be.
default_wacko.png

Breeding horses (especially Miniatures) is so frequently full of heartbreak- just look through the first few pages on the forum, and you'll keep finding posts all the way through, for years. There's also answers to your questions about small mares. It's a popular one. ;) And if you really can't find your answers, you can email Tony Greaves at Little America, who specalizes in the teeny-tinies and will have a lifetime of insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
default_biggrin.png
from dull grey it's snowing real good out there this morning Alberta...
default_no.gif

Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy your stay and the people you find here.
default_saludando.gif

As far as your question about the small mares being bred, we have several 28" and under mares that have had numerous babies for us with no problems. With that said, the advice the other poster gave you about buying a just weaned foal exactly the color, conformation and sex you want is very sound. We have been breeding for many years and every year there is always something that happens that is out of the ordinary. The loss of mares, loss of the foal, complications during and after the birth are just a few of the inherent problems when dealing with a foaling.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wacko.png

In any case let us know if there is anything we can help and again welcome to the forum from the great state of Texas.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

Hi to you all and thank you for the advice and the welcomes.

Relic sorry to hear your still getting snow, hopefully we saw the last of ours yesterday, I am between Calgary and Red Deer.

JWC Thank you for your input on small mares, I sent you a pm with another question

I look forward to learning from all of you

Firt of all, hello and welcome.

Second, I agree with Littleum.

There are too many foals being born as it is that are not of the greatest quality. Why contribute to that? Especially when you can buy just what you want.

I breed dogs too and I can not tell you how many times I get people wanting to buy a dog from me and have "just one litter so that the kids can see what it is like". I will not sell to them. It is not necessary to have a litter or have a foal to get the enjoyment of a puppy or foal. There is a lot of work and heartache breeding. Do you want to take the chance of loosing your mare? It can and does happen.

Just take your time and find a foal that is exactly what you would like to own and purchase it. You will get just what you want without the expense, time and perhaps heartache.

Hello!

I want to welcome you to the forum! You will learn a lot here.

Generally, yes... you want to select a smaller but more importantly a smaller-boned stallion to breed to the mares.

However, I will suggest that buying a weanling from another farm is the best way to go, rather than breed your mare just for another pet. You risk your mare's life when you breed and you never know what you will get. Buying a weanling will allow you to shop for the right gender, size, color, temperament, and whatever else your heart desires!

Andrea

I thank you all for your advice, I do understand the ramifications of breeding her and have not decided this is the way to go. I am always looking at babies and Im sure one day I will find the one that strikes me as the one for me.

Welcome to the forum from the thumb area of Michigan. There is a GREAT miniature horse club in Ontario. You can go to there web site which is www.mhco.ca Also on our web site Filipowiczfarm.homestead.com on our links page you will find many of our Canadian friends web site posted. . They are a great club and there web site gives you lots of information. and many things about miniatures and information on things going on all around canada about the miniature horse. Hope this is helpful to you.
default_saludando.gif

l haven't seen Kendra or Hunter post yet who are very active members in our club but just wanted to let you know that if you haven't done so check out the Westeren Canadian Miniature Horse Club [WCMHC] it's a great source of info with a breeders list clinics shows and tons of helpful info about anything to do with minis..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Welcome from Southwestern Ontario, Canada.

You will enjoy your time on the forum. Lots of really smart mini horse people here that will help. You only have to ask
default_saludando.gif

I have received a lot of great tips and ideas and solutions from this group of helpful people.

Welcome from Ohio.

The forum is packed with good advice on everything you'll want to know about minis. You will have access to years of experience and knowledge at your finger tips.

Breeding can truly break your heart. There are so many things that can go wrong. I would look at all the beautiful foals that are being advertised for sale.

Latest posts

Back