If You Were King or Queen for a Day of AMHR ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
If I was King of AMHR for a day, with absolute power to implement lasting changes, the first thing I would do is make a ruling to spread Stakes classes over several nights at AMHR Nationals.

How about you?

If I was the queen of ASPC/AMHR for a day wowwwwwww. There would be so much to do its hard to know how to cram it all into a day LOL.

I would make it mandatory that all Board meetings be run by Parliamentary rule/Roberts Rules of order and then I would make them televised live
default_smile.png

I would make the minutes of all board meetings that are done via telephone public.

I would pass a rule that members are not required to attend convention to vote on issues that directly affect the members. These would be done by mail in votes.

I would assign a committee to rewrite and correct the rule book. (make all rules actually have consenquences for breaking them)

Shoot Id love to do more but that for sure would take up a day LOL (said tongue in cheek)

Kay

I would waive all entry fees at the National show. And everyone who shows would get a pretty big ribbo. LOL

Making me queen would probably not be very good for the registry financially.
default_wacko.png

If I was Queen, I would hire Kay Kay to get all her changes done
default_aktion033.gif

Pam

If I was queen for a day I'd make checks optional, change measuring to the withers with a grandfathering clause and height increase, create an AOTE division, give amateur halter classes a championship at all local shows and (while I'm waving my magic wand
default_wink.png
) offer a reduced membership fee to those who sign a waiver saying they'll read the Journal online or take the consequences if they choose not to receive it. And if there's any time left before dinner I'd reopen the books to hardshipping for a set period of time- especially for geldings!

Leia

I probably wouldn't do anything. I think if I was able to I would like to just listen to what members are wanting and are feeling whats going on with the registry. I feel like we as members are out of touch to whats going on with AMHR. I also like kaykays suggestions as well.

I like Leia's idea about hardshipping - especially for geldings! That is one thing I don't understand - why was the registry closed to hardshipping? If this is a "height" registry - as has been stated, then it shouldn't matter if the parents were registered with AMHR - anything under 38" and meeting the standards should be allowed in. IMHO you have to decide - are we a height registry or a breed?

I also support all of Kay's ideas - I vote Kay for Queen!
aktion033.gif

Barbara

I like Leia's idea about hardshipping - especially for geldings! That is one thing I don't understand - why was the registry closed to hardshipping? If this is a "height" registry - as has been stated, then it shouldn't matter if the parents were registered with AMHR - anything under 38" and meeting the standards should be allowed in. IMHO you have to decide - are we a height registry or a breed?

aktion033.gif

Barbara
Ditto to all the above!! I'd LOVE to hardship my new rescue in, I think she deserves it!

I'd wave my magic wand and create CHAMPIONSHIP CLASSES for the driving horses.

WHY...what is the benefit?

-Reward the driving horse...raise him to the CHAMPION level that halter horses receive

-ONLY Champion and Reserve Champion horses come back into the Championship Class

Advertising in the Journal will increase....people would be frantic to get their NATIONAL GRAND CHAMPION full page color ad complete and submitted.

It would tell the WORLD...here are our champions. Breeders would really have something to brag about...sure winning a class at nationals with that level of competition is a real accomplishment for sure...but winning NATIONAL GRAND CHAMPION SINGLE PLEASURE (or other divisions)...would take the competition and the organization to a new level.

Bottom line...it is about Marketing and Sales for AMHR and the breeders.

Bob...I'd be happy to work with you on writing something up for this "magic wish" if you'd want to champion it at the convention?

If I was queen for a day I'd make checks optional, change measuring to the withers with a grandfathering clause and height increase, create an AOTE division, give amateur halter classes a championship at all local shows and (while I'm waving my magic wand
default_wink.png
) offer a reduced membership fee to those who sign a waiver saying they'll read the Journal online or take the consequences if they choose not to receive it. And if there's any time left before dinner I'd reopen the books to hardshipping for a set period of time- especially for geldings!

Leia

aktion033.gif

Barbara
Hear hear! I would do almost anything to get my mare in the books...

Connie B, I had no idea there was not a championship for driving horses! That seems like twisted logic, how did it happen? You see how little I know about AMHR... lol

There is a "championship", the Stakes classes, but anybody can enter. I agree with Connie P, make it a true Championship class

Since I'm the Queen for the Day, I'd make more height splits in the Shetland registry so the little ponies can compete in their own breed and increase entries at Congress.

Ditto on the measuring at the withers. This is a no brainer.

Initiate mandatory DNA on horses and ponies at 5 or when they produce offspring. Parentage qualified included.

Move the National show to different areas of the country on a rotating basis. Oklahoma is great for the southern folks, but is tough on the West Coast, East Coast, and North Coast folks.

Create an Amateur I and II division. Once the amateur has won 5 National titles, they move into II division.

Allow a 2nd ring at Nationals for the individual classes, such as Showmanship, Obstacle, jumper, and Hunter. This would REALLY cut down the time and stress. Separate judges would be hired for those classes.

Eliminate the stipulation that a BOD member MUST own a Shetland pony.

Give the office people a raise!!

Ok if I was queen for the day..

I would hire the tech from the American Paint Horse Association to come in and create a show program for the Registry that can track all points, Hall of Fame, history on each horse, who show when, and so on. This would be the main priority of the day so that we can come out of the dark ages. All other stuff that has been listed will fall into place.

Ruffin,

Sorry to disagree with you in regards to eliminating a Shetland ownership to be on the board....I'm from the old school and the ASPC created the AMHR and I know you know that as well as others but just like our democratic society, there are checks and balances and this is a check to keep this registry viable. Nothing wrong with owning a Shetland and promoting one. Do like a lot of people are doing, buy a double registered ASPC/AMHR and promote the heck out of it and then you can run for the Shetland seat. Then someday you may see that those who do own both the ASPC/AMHR horses maybe sitting on the board, then I suspect everyone would be happy at that point in time.

Karen

aktion033.gif

Barbara
There is a proposal now to allow open hardshipping back for the geldings for show purposes only. I think that would be awesome. However I am afraid the price is to low $50. Hopefully the person that made this proposal will be at Convention to possibly having to change it. Cause I don't think they will let this pass with the low fee.

If I were King or Queen of AMHRlike the question asked-- I would make it a bylaw that anyone that used Mary Lou's miniature horse forum to talk about ASPC would be suspended for a year and their name posted in the Journal.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a proposal now to allow open hardshipping back for the geldings for show purposes only. I think that would be awesome. However I am afraid the price is to low $50. Hopefully the person that made this proposal will be at Convention to possibly having to change it. Cause I don't think they will let this pass with the low fee.

That is awesome!
aktion033.gif
But I do agree $50.00 may be a bit low and would hate to see it not pass just because of that. I like to think it would encourage people to geld any unregistered colts and get them registered to improve their value AND decrease breeding of grade minis. Fingers crossed that this passes!

CharlesFamily said:
IMHO you have to decide - are we a height registry or a breed?
I think closing the books WAS their way of making a decision. They wanted the miniature horse to become a breed rather than just a height registry. I don't personally agree with this decision and would like to see it reversed at least for non-breeding animals (i.e. geldings) if not everyone. It would bring more dollars to the registry, give those horses somewhere to show and increase their value. And heck, maybe then there'd be more so-called "true minis" in the B division instead of the ASPC horses everyone keeps complaining about!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

ruffian said:
Move the National show to different areas of the country on a rotating basis. Oklahoma is great for the southern folks, but is tough on the West Coast, East Coast, and North Coast folks.
Man, why didn't I think to include that one?!
default_new_shocked.gif
It's crossed my mind so many times.
default_aktion033.gif

ruffian said:
Give the office people a raise!!
Ditto.

Leia

Wow, what an opportunity!!

I would institute a program like the Pinto Association has where you can get points for showing at local Open shows.

http://www.pinto.org/ocap.html Scroll down to the bottom for miniature classes. The idea is that these shows would not cost anything for the registry to run, but would offer mini owners a place to show and win points while promoting minis to "big" horse people. It would encourage mini owners to have mini classes added to the local shows so they could enter and win points... again, not much extra work for the Registry, especially if they have the program someone else suggested (Pinto has a similar one) that tracks everyone's points.

Then I would invite members to suggest other ways to promote minis to people who don't currently own minis - non-horse owners and owners of other breeds. Preaching to the choir is not expanding the market and in this economy, I think we are missing an opportunity to point out that you can still own a horse, but do it with less expense with a mini.

Some great ideas on this list already!!!

If I were King or Queen of AMHR like the question asked-- I would make it a bylaw that anyone that used Mary Lou's miniature horse forum to talk about ASPC would be suspended for a year and their name posted in the Journal.
Ouch! I have always really enjoyed debating with you Lavern but I gotta say this one was a little mean spirited. I really do hope someday we will meet in person.

But hey I guess if Mary Lou wants to suspend me that is for sure her right to do it. I just never knew that the word ASPC wasnt to be typed on the miniature horse forum. Guess there would be a whole lot of us banned if that was a rule.

For sure blast my name all over the Journal as that would be a bonus LOL
default_yes.gif

Bottom line is that ASPC owns AMHR. Its not a matter of opinion its a fact. I didnt make it that way so dont hate the messenger! Its really hard to discuss one without the other as they are intertwined in so many ways.

Ultimately I love all my horses no matter what papers they have and I love our registry and only want to see it get better.

Yass Sur, it was low down and dirty of me, but that is the way of Royalty, they can do anything they want because they own ya. It sure is a good thing we don't have that in America anymore where you are owned, by someone.

If I were Queen of ASPC/AMHR the first thing I would do is command all to be respectful to one another. I would grant everyone in the kingdom one free ASPC pony so all could see the true pleasure of owning one. And to all who owned just ASPC ponies I would grant one mini a piece so those people could see the true pleasure of owning one.

I would appoint individuals to their proper places of expertise and all would be smiling happy campers. I would hire an consultant to come in to give support to our already hard working office members. Our marketing personnel would work out of the office and be a full time employee to ensure optimal results.

ASPC/AMHR would correlate a big show with PINTO. What great marketing this would be! I would also work with PINTO to hopefully have discounted rates to register minis/ponies in to PINTO.

For there to be a REAL centrally located Congress and Nationals with keeping our Canadian neighbors in mind. And all stewards be hired from USEF that knows not one person in our registry. There to be a trainer only classes and then classes depending on how many National/Congress wins you have had. Both Nationals and Congress be alotted the same decorations for center ring. Pictures taken outside of the ring so the classes are not held up. All judges for Congress and Nationals would be hired outside of our registry.

All of the meetings and votings to take place via the internet. The votings to be on a specific day, one day only, where all could watch the tally on line.

Nastiness would not be tolerated or you would be banished! LOL

My biggest order for the kingdom would be no ponies ever to go to China!

Back