If you want to see 'the real deal',

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
I'm watching the 4th episode of "The Last American Cowboy", about three Wyoming ranches/ranch families...one a traditional, three-generations, family spread, one an 'innovator', who had a HUGE spread, MANY cattle, and flies his own helicopter, and one small spread where the adult son is the ONLY hand, doing ALL the work of managing @ 400 head, with help from his non-ranch-raised wife(who IS learning!)

I've seldom seen anything on TV that I've enjoyed and appreciated more! Having been privileged to spend time doing 'real' work on cattle ranches, belonging to an uncle in the Davis Mts. of West Texas, and another belonging to the family of my college roommate in the Organ Mts., it's always been something I DEARLY love, and this brings back SO many great memories! Here is the hard, HARD work(despite much modern machinery not had when I was a participant), here is the Quarter Horse doing what it was BRED and CREATED to do, here are dedicated people who are able to raise their children in an enviable world of teamwork, determination, and an awesome work ethic! Watching, you will see how and why certain rodeo events originated(I know, but some of you may not...); it was of necessity.

If you'd enjoy seeing this genuine saga of 'true grit', I'd highly recommend this series. I have no idea how many episodes it will encompass, but I do know I'll be there to watch each and every one!

Margo, who has gathered cattle (and Angora goats, in country where only a mule would suffice!) in rugged country,has spent hours behind a herd, or sorting who has held calves at the branding fire, and is VERY proud and appreciative that I was priviledged to do so! IMO, there's almost no better place on Earth than on the back of a good horse pushing a solid herd!

Animal Planet, Mondays, 8 PM MDT, in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a couple episodes, but for some reason, I thought they were on Montana ranches. Not that it matters that much, both WY and MT have similar weather.

Ooooo, thanks for the reminder! I watched the first episode, then kept forgetting when it was on.

I have watched a couple of episodes and really enjoyed them. They are ranches in MT.

Well, my face is red! Of course, it IS Montana, not Wyoming. Guess I was just thinking "big country"; I've been in Wyoming, and it looks a lot like what I was seeing on the screen, so guess I just typed in "Wyoming" w/o proper thought...mea culpa!

It's still a WONDERFUL show!!

Margo

We live it everyday, so my husband won't watch it. He likes to watch things that don't remind him of his everyday life. [i've watched parts here and there, and kind of like seeing how others handle things.]

I dont have much time for TV, but dang, sounds like I've missed it! Yep, was married to a ranch hand here in AZ for many years, and I was the 'other hand' unless it was round up time when a few more were hired to help. One ranch we worked on was 126 sections and the other one we worked, next door, LOL, was about 230 sections. Most of it in pretty rugged mountains and it was quite an experience.

A friend of ours was just killed a couple of weeks ago... we worked with him YEARS ago. He had left here and was working up on some islands by Alaska and his helicopter got hung up on something and caused a crash and he was killed just a couple of weeks ago or so.

In AZ, you can't use copters, it's all on horseback, and with some good catch dogs. Heelers aren't used much in this area, you have to catch them first- they are like wild deer, LOL

I watched it last week and was also very impressed. Those people know what work is! As much as I want to get out of the heat and humidity here I would not want to go to the extreme cold and snowy conditions they have. I loved watching "pulling calves." I have heard about it all my life but never witnessed it. Aside from the one guy who cusses so much it would be a great show for family.

Back