From Tragedy to Blessings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
Many of you read about the losses my 11 year old daughter Gracie suffered this year with her first year of her mini mares foaling. One mare and foal were lost to dystocia and the other one foaled unexpectedly and did not make it out of the sac. She was left with just two mini mares and no foal that she dreamed of raising and training herself. Her great grandmother left Gracie a small amount money that she used to buy her minis. They were her investment and even though I had talked about the greater risks involved with breeding minis, I never would have anticipated this her first year. As you can imagine there were many tears and lots of grief, especially after the loss of the second foal. The minis have been such a blessing as Gracie who was once very timid and scared of the large horses developed a load of confidence and skills from her small friends which then has transfered to our large horses and she now rides and shows her quarter horse gelding too. However after the loss of her last foal she was ready to give up the minis, but then her deep sadness turned in to determination to succeed. Gracie's dad and I really wanted to help Gracie out (with buying a new mare or foal) but we are both commission sales people and times have been tough (as they have for most of us) and we just could not manage it. However, we knew God had a plan that we just could not see. Thats when we were contacted by Sandy of Cavallini Farms in Galt, California. Sandy herself had recently lost a foal to dystocia and knew the pain we were experiencing but knowing it was an 11 year old girl who suffered the loss had really touched Sandy's heart. Sandy wanted to give Gracie the next foal she was expecting. Wanting to be careful we agreed to not tell Gracie in case something happened. If something did happen, then Pam from Pee Wee Farms said she would get a foal for Gracie so no matter what happened Gracie would have a foal. The day Gracie and I left for a trip to see family and friends over Easter vacation was the day that Sandy's mare Windermeres Angelfire delivered a tiny, hairy, buckskin filly. The sire is PWF Cowboys Silver Lining. The delivery was not text book as there was a leg over the head but Pam from Pee Wee farms was there to correct the dystocia and deliver the filly. We kept the filly a surprise from Gracie until we got home and were able to go pick up the mom and foal when the baby was 16 days old. We came up with a good story about meeting with a potential customer and getting a load of hay in the trailer the day we went to pick her up. It was the greatest moment for us all- Sandy, her two boys, Pam and my hubby and I, not to mention Gracie's shocked face. Tears were in most of our eyes. Sandy and her boys made Gracie's dream come true! She is now raising and training her very first mini foal. She has named her Cowgirl.

Gracie was also blessed by Katherine and John Morlang of Lonesome Dove Farms who had retired from the mini & work world several years ago and were keeping their stallion and mares as pasture ornaments. Katherine said that when she read about Gracie's loss she knew she had found the perfect home for a few of her mares. She wanted her mares to be well cared for, loved and be used for something other than standing in a field. So she contacted me and when Gracie and I went to pick up two mares, it ended up being three. One of the mares is a AMHA Reserve World Champion- LDR Uno Mas Margarita and the other two mares have many blue ribbons and championships between them- B & WS Fancy and Lonesome Doves Champagne N Pearls. These mares complete & compliment Gracie's mini mare herd. Gracie and I are busy morning and night teasing and breeding mares now. Gracie is learning about everything to do with breeding to keeping records. This is all priceless!

My husband and I are so humbled by the out-pouring of support from this lil beginning forum. The messages on my posts, the private messages and emails were astonishing and so comforting and deeply appreciated. What an amazing group of people who are passionate about the miniature horse world. I know at some point that Gracie will be able to return the blessings she has received from Sandy and her boys and John & Katherine. "Thank you" seems so lacking in times like these, but I hope the smiles you saw on Gracie face speak volumes.

God Bless You All!
aktion033.gif

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

default_wub.png
Wow. This is VERY cool news. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos, I am sure they will be treasured memories forever!

default_crybaby.gif
That was such a great surprise and made a tear to my eye!

Im so glad for Gracie. Its so nice to hear about such a wonderful story and wonderful folks who gave a little girls dream to becaome a reality. To whom was all involved YOU GO!

I never read anything and this is the 1st I heard of the story and I hope she has a wonderful time growing up and learning with her new herd of mares!

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_thumbup.gif

I'm not surprised. There are many beautiful people here that thrive on helping others. What happened to Gracie was tragic and her story was one of the saddest I had ever heard and I am beyond happy for her.

Good luck Gracie! You are a very wonderful horsey kid!

I cried for Gracie and your family more than once reading your earlier posts, but reading this one made me cry for a very different reason. You ought to send this story to the World or Journal. Congratulations to Gracie on her first foal, and to all the upstanding mini breeders that made it happen!

Gracie is an amazing girl, with a wonderful family, and I consider myself blessed for meeting you all. I know little Cowgirl was meant to be Gracie's girl.

Thank you for helping light up MY world with that smile!

Sandy

This is the stuff movies are inspired from.

Thanks for sharing. So glad all worked out well. This give me hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful story! The kindness of strangers is one of the greatest blessings in this world. I love that Gracie's arms are no longer empty because some wonderful people read the story here on the internet. How amazing!
default_wub.png
Thank you for sharing and I agree - this story needs to be published so more people can know about these wonderful people!

Hugs,

Barbara

I too have tears running down my cheecks. I have a son of the same age so I can imagine how proud you are of her.

For those wonderful people that made Gracie's dream come true, I say God Bless you.

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

What wonderful news!!! I am so happy for your whole family, but especially Gracie. But I can't say I am that surprised either, as I was hoping that a mini breeder that lived closer to you (and had better luck than we do) would step up - and they did!! Thank you!!!

Your story brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for Gracie. it's amazing how nice people on LB are. I'm overjoyed that she finally got her foal to raise!
default_wub.png

Oh my the tears of joy running down my cheek! The smile on your daughters face is priceless.
default_wub.png
Dreams really do come true, best wishes!
default_biggrin.png

wow, those pictures just say it all, don't they? What a wonderful new beginning. Tradegy to Blessings indeed! (I am off to find the tissue box now) Thanks for starting my day off with a huge smile and a very happy heart.

I'm so happy for Gracie!! The pictures are priceless. This forum is priceless. I have seen LB members throughout the years step up with such generosity and support of each other that it is amazing.

This post has made my day....probably my week. What a wonderful bunch of people!!!!! I know your daughter will be forever changed by both the tragic experience she suffered and the incredible act of generosity she has received. Please keep us updated on her successes!
default_aktion033.gif

And I have to say that I am blown away by the incredibly wonderful people who made this happen. I may never meet you in person, but I will know, once again, that there ARE good people in this world.
default_wub.png

:::: wiping away the tears ::::::

very moving and touching story - like a fairytale.

God bless those with such generous hearts for complete strangers. Well done ! Thanks for renewing my faith in the fellow man-kind.

Best of luck Gracie in all your future endeavors .... I'll be watching for updates on your success - way to go!

WOW!! That is AWESOME! I am so excited for Gracie and your family. Yes, LB is definately full of wonderful, caring people! Thanks for sharing.
default_aktion033.gif

Back