If you *think* your mare is aborting but are unsure,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_sad.png

We are so sorry for your loss, Mona. Praying for a full recovery for your little mare.

This has been a tough year for several mini owners so early in the season.

(((Big Hugs)))

Steph

I too am so sorry for your loss and am disheartened about the amount of loss on

the board lately. I am happy your mare is okay. Poor girl
default_sad.png

Mona, I'm so sorry. Think I just said this yesterday on another thread but when things don't seem right to you as an experienced breeder, they usually aren't. Hope your mare is okay.

Jan

How is your little mare doing? Wish it had been a better outcome. Our vet says anytime anyone has to assist in a foaling, to make sure the mare is flushed and put on antibiotics for 10 days to avoid any bacteria that may have been taken inside the mare by having to go in there.

It's always so heartbreaking to lose one..... hugs to you!!

Thanks Laurie....she is doing well. She is eating and drinking normally, and is nice and alert, and not showing any signs of pain.

So sorry for the loss of your foal, but glad to hear that your little mare is doing well. Thanks for the pics and info that you have posted on your other thread.

Hugs -- Anna

Mona, I am very sorry for the loss of Color's baby. These things hits us all hard, we have all been there and feel for you.

Its not been a good year so far. I hope it gets better for all of us.

hugs,

Robin

So sorry for your loss, i know how hard it is , this time last year i lost both my mare and her foal....very very sad.
default_no.gif
I do wish everyone thats waiting for foals the best of luck....

Remember the thread I started last year about twisted cords and when everyone talked about their twisted cords it was about 6-8 weeks before the due date. Your mare is right in that range. When my mare aborted this week the cord wasn't twisted and we don't know why she aborted.

If they are aborting early the foal is already dead so not a whole lot you can do except support the mare. Preemie foals are the exception and not the rule. I have been breeding and foaling out horses for almost 40 years and have never seen the complications these minis can come up with when compared to the big breeds. We say it every year that breeding minis is not for the faint of heart and experience still has it's share of losses.

Sorry about both our losses and sometimes it just sucks.

default_sad.png
I'm very sorry for the loss. I hope your mare recovers quickly and completely with no issues.

Flip, I was really hoping for a good outcome to this.

Still, as you say, the mare is now the priority, and if she is OK that's all that matters.

IT is such a fine line between foaling early (which mine do all the time) and aborting, I am not sure there is ever a real "reason" as I have known cords twisted at birth and had the foal OK, I sometimes think the cord being twisted is just one of those things, after all, if the foal is dead, it would stop moving, and the mare moving around it would then twist the cord...just a thought.

Still, sorry you had to go through this, and sorry the mare did, too.

I always think it is such a waste when this happens.

I was hoping it would have turned out better.
default_no.gif
I'm so sorry you lost the foal. I hope your mare is doing okay now.

I am so sorry Mona! And thank you for posting the pictures on the other thread. I am sure there are a lot of people who will see that as quite educational.

Carol

OK, I'm sorry, I can't find the picture thread.....directions please?

Latest posts

Back