i want to help the economy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Hello,

hey i recently placed a large order with a well known mini tack supplier, and I was very dissappointed. I didnt get everything i asked for , and it wasnt sent the way i asked for it to be sent via e-mail, no conformation , and none of my questions answered, so i didnt buy the extra tack. and i ended up paying an extra 100 CHF to the post office in taxes , and that money could have been spent on more tack. I am looking for a person that will ship tack in soft envelopes without an envoice, and as a personal package. This will save me a lot of money , and I would spend more money buying from you , putting it in your pocket and not the post offices pocket. internationally , your are taxed on the value of your package, the more you buy the more your taxed. I would rather help the American economy then the European economy, but every time i order i feel like it was an inconvience , and i have placed orders for over 300 dollars??? am I missing something here? I would like to buy 2 more heavy waterproof blankets for my donkey his back is 95 centimeters , and he wears a Foal size normal horse blanket. Is there anyone out there that is willing to sell me tack internationally , and answer questions occasionally on sizes , or suggestions on what tack is best for me? My next order will be after Dec, and I do need another show halter , and the chains and show leads to go with them, also I purchased the red ,white and blue halter and lead rope but just got the lead rope
default_wacko.png
, anyone have the halter you would like to sell? hope its OK to post this .thanks-

I think that's a lot to ask of a tack shop. I'm referring to the shipping of individual items, without an invoice, and without true value listed --they should be sending you the right items, and all that you ordered. I'm in Canada and often order from the US, and shipping to Canada is astronomical compared to shipping within the United States. If it comes by UPS then we pay huge brokerage fees. If it comes by regular mail then there are no brokerage fees, just an $8 handling charge. If the item is valued at less than $40 Cdn then there are no taxes/fees at all.

What I have found is that the tack dealers that are willing to ship things the way you'd like to have them shipped are generally your smaller dealers, and they are not the ones that usually offer the best prices. So, you might save in taxes, but you'll pay more to purchase the item in the first place. Also, it's so much cheaper to ship a larger parcel than it is to ship the same items in individual shipments. If each thing is sent to you singly you may pay far more in postage.

Also, if the shipper "lies" about the value of the item being shipped, you won't have proper insurance on the parcel. If you buy a $125 show halter and someone ships it to you with a customs label certifying that it is valued at only $40, you can buy insurance for only $40. If that package happens to be lost in the mail, all you will get back is $40. That's a risk to keep in mind.

You might try finding someone in the US that you can have your orders sent to--and then they reship the items to you singly, with lower values noted on the customs label. That will mean you pay double shipping, though you'll find that the initial shipping within the US is very reasonable. You might find someone willing to do that--I think most won't want to bother.

There is a tack shop Never Ending Ranch in Canada that sends stuff to the United States, They even have fly masks for weanlings.They are very reasonable in price even shipping to the United States.

Honestly they probably don't know you are paying to get the item on top of what they already paid to ship it. I recently shipped something to Canada, and the post office asked if it was a gift or merchandise, It was merchandise, they asked what the amount was I told them, I had no idea that you would have to pay taxes on it.....the shipping from my side was $ 31 which I had included in the price of the item, I did not charge anything for shipping, I had no idea it would be $31 to ship it...my lose. Perhaps if you order something from the US, then you should ask the person you are ordering from if they would mind marking it different, I would have marked it different for my buyer, however I had no idea as I had never shipped anything out of the US before.

It is illegal for any of us tack dealers to send product overseas without correct documentation. If you purchase the products then we MUST ship with correct invoice and insurance. We know how expensive it is for you to pay customs and duties but unfortunately we have no legal alternative.

I am sorry but I am not willing to pay big fines or be audited. This is something that is asked of us a lot and my answer is always NO.

Also - in order for us to insure (like Minimor said) we have to declare full value. Are you willing to pay in full for a shipment and take full responsibility for it at time of shipment from the tack store? That means that if it is lost - you get nothing.

Your best alternative is to have items shipped to a friend here in the states and have them ship it as gifts. I have a lot of family in Denmark and Germany and ship gifts over monthly and they have no problem with duties or brokerage.

As far as the wrong items being shipped - please contact your tack dealer and I am sure they will make it right. If it is your error you will have to pay for additional charges. If it is theirs then they should pay for the additional charges - I know we do.

Hope this helps.

Lisa - Ozark

It is illegal for any of us tack dealers to send product overseas without correct documentation. If you purchase the products then we MUST ship with correct invoice and insurance. We know how expensive it is for you to pay customs and duties but unfortunately we have no legal alternative. I am sorry but I am not willing to pay big fines or be audited. This is something that is asked of us a lot and my answer is always NO.

Also - in order for us to insure (like Minimor said) we have to declare full value. Are you willing to pay in full for a shipment and take full responsibility for it at time of shipment from the tack store? That means that if it is lost - you get nothing.

Your best alternative is to have items shipped to a friend here in the states and have them ship it as gifts. I have a lot of family in Denmark and Germany and ship gifts over monthly and they have no problem with duties or brokerage.

As far as the wrong items being shipped - please contact your tack dealer and I am sure they will make it right. If it is your error you will have to pay for additional charges. If it is theirs then they should pay for the additional charges - I know we do.

Hope this helps.

Lisa - Ozark

EXACTLY Lisa!!! It may also be illegal for the person buying under such circumstances as they would be a party to the FRAUD! AND, it is GOVERNMENT fraud, which would be even worse!! Not sure about the laws on things entering into Switzerland, but I know it works that way coming across the US line into Canada. What it boils down to, is SMUGGLING!! BIG TROUBLE if you get caught, and surely not worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back