I really need some advice about my baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
Wednesday evening we had just moved a little more sand into our large round pen next to our pea gravel common area. I was busy cleaning the large pens and Missy got frisky and ran into the round pen with her foal Jewel. Jewel is now just 3 months old. Her hooves are trimmed as they should be thanks to help from this forum, by the way. After a minute or two I looked up and saw Jewel appearing to limp as Missy finally stopped running around, and she looked unusually out of breath and frightened. I dropped everything and ran to them to prevent Missy or Jewel from moving anymore. We carefully moved Jewel to a small pen with Missy and tried to find anything outright. Needless to say I didn't sleep all night. Next morning she was slightly dragging he hind leg, and had problems trying to turn. I put her and Missy in the stall and called the vet. Took her to the vet, husband carried her to the trailer and I worried about her all the way to the vet. During his exam, which was very, very thorough, she walked better with only slight limping. Both the vet and I know adrenaline can sometimes make animals appear physically in better condition, but he found nothing at all like me, except I had thought that morning her stifles appeared very slightly puffy. But thought it might be my imagination, she is growing her fluffy winter coat. He also said her stifles both felt very slightly puffy. He advised me to give her Banamine and keep her confined for 2 to 3 days and see how she does, if she didn't improve to call. Well, last night I didn't give the Banamine since she still walked a little stiffly with it. She was just as lame this morning. I called and he told me to give her more Banamine and he would call later to see how she was.

Is it me panicking again, or does this sound a little stupid? Of course she feels better with Banamine! He said if I want to do radiographs Monday we could do that! I need to know what happened and if my little angel tore a muscle, tendon, injured a joint, anything for Pete's Sake! I can't give her Banamine forever. I am just so upset, I think she got into the deeper sand and pulled or tore something, but sure would like to know what. Has anyone had a similar injury to a foal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a lot like locked stifle of which there are a ton of posts right now. Does she drag the leg behind her like its broken when its at its worst? If it is locked stifle (upward fixation of the patella) at least you will know what you are dealing with. If it is stalling will make it worse. If shes able try backing her straight back and see if it pops back in.

Wish I could give you a big hug!

Thanks Kay, first thing the vet thought of and no it isn't . I knew it wasn't but these vets aren't real up to date on minis. I hope he takes a more serious course of action Monday, I just want to do something to fix her. Hopefully it isn't a damaged joint, but a tendon torn isn't real good news either.

Just bought your conformation book as a matter of fact. Thanks for the cyber-hug!

Oh thank you so much!

You know I had a mare about 2 months ago suddenly go lame and her whole back leg swelled. Had 2 vets out and they thought for sure it was an infection and put her on antibiotics. But to me an infection made no sense, and the antibiotics were not helping. The swelling came on way too fast a long with the lameness. My good horse friend down the street came and looked at her and said "she wrenched her leg, take her off thee antiobiotics, cold hose her, give her some bute for the swelling and she will get better. Sure enough my neighbor was dead on right LOL.

Im not a fan of bute but it is very effective for swelling issues. I gave that mare very low doses for 2 days and then she was good as new.

I am hoping your girl just wrenched her leg and will get better soon with some rest.

Sending good thoughts!

Kay

Equioxx can be used instead of Bute and it is easier on the stomach. I do still give a dose of Gastro Gard whenever I use banamine, bute, or equioxx.

Keep us posted-wishing for a speedy recovery!

For us, we never use bute, and banamine shouldn't be given for too long as I believe it can cause ulcer issues.

I think aspirin is also okay for inflammation problems, but ask your vet.

I think exercise might be better than "stalling" and if it seems to be locking and the leg stiff and dragging, back her up, as Kay said.

Well, backing hasn't resolved anything. Hopefully tomorrow I can learn what the problem is. Breaks my heart. I am giving gastroguard and I do have horse aspirin, will ask the vet. I hate giving her Banamine. I will have to check into Equioxx, thanks.

Equioxx is for bone issue and banamine is more effective on soft tissue issues. I think it will be helpful to know what you are dealing with so you know how to treat properly. Do keep us posted and hope you get some answers tomorrow
default_smile.png

We had a filly dislocate her hip this spring so you could always have xrays done to see if the joints are ok. Luckily our filly healed really well, our vet was amazed and said if she would have been a big horse she would have had to be put down, her small size saved her! So sorry you are going through this, I know we all hate it when something happens to our babies! Hugs for you and your baby! Hopefully you can find out what is wrong and make her better soon!

Thank you! I will certainly keep the thread updated. I am so anxious to find out. Ya know I had a feeling she had an issue in her little butt/hip area. Just a feeling. I don't think the dear Dr. realizes how adamant I get with my horses,

Thank you! I will certainly keep the thread updated. I am so anxious to find out. Ya know I had a feeling she had an issue in her little butt/hip area. Just a feeling. I don't think the dear Dr. realizes how adamant I get with my horses,
Do you have someone near you who can do body treatment- either myofascial release or chiro?

Actually I asked the vet about that, and I was surprised he said he is not trained for that. My own chiropractor has experience and last year manipulated all my horses. I am going to ask him, as soon as we get some diagnostics done.

Hello,

I think I can tell you whats wrong if you want to email me.

Hugs

Bonnie

Bonnie, I think we have some kind of connection here, for some odd reason late last night I came across your banner and went to your site, then emailed you. Hope you got it, my darn computer is doing strange things lately. 6 hours at the vet. He sedated her and took radiographs on the small animal table while they all had a fit over howsmall she is. He only charged me for two out of the some 30 he took for his own interest! All bony structures, and all joints look normal and healthy, but I think I knew that. Had to rule it out. She was lame today on the other leg. So he gave strict orders to confinement in my smallest stall with Missy, and Equioxx + Ulcerguard. It is in the 90's here! So I had to put the fan back in, and it is going to be a mess to keep them in that small 8 X 9 stall! After 2 weeks he will re-evaluate, and go from there. He tried nerve blocks but she was too small and it didn't take, it was easier to do the X rays anyway.

Bonnie I hope you can help, I may be way off base but I always got the feeling that she is sore in her little butt, that she tore a muscle or tendon there in the deep sand.

The vet and I pulled Missy's (her dam) long heavy mane over to sedate her also so she wouldn't panic with Jewel gone, and the vet noticed her shoulder white is a perfect angel wing!! I need to take pictures of that. She is our little guardian angel. It is like I drew it on her!

Gem turned up with thick white snotty nose this morning too, so I have orders to keep him seperate, check his glands, and temp and keep an eye on him. He seems healthy and well, but that was awful, my poor little ones! Geez!

As for the myofascial and chiro, there is a trained woman I know and then my personal chiropractor would help me out. He trained on horses and dogs. I will see him Thursday, but hope to get more information before then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie called, hope she feels better soon, and the chiropractor just left. Poor baby just like Bonnie said, and I had thought she had 2 vertebra WAY out and her hip also. She is still stiff and sore, and he said to still keep her confined like the vet said, only start to hand walk her a little. I am so relieved. She seemed so much more comfortable and calmer! I know how it feels to be out that bad in that area, and it makes for some really sore stiff muscles for awhile Thank you to everyone!

Latest posts

Back