I need to run to a Feed store, but what do I need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anngee

Reaction score
What kind of hay, feed, bedding for shelter do I need? She won't have access to much grass, we don't have a pasture. What grooming tools do I need? What do they need a harness for?

You'll probably have to go to a farmer for the hay. Feed stores don't usually carry it, and most Mini's don't need grain.

For grooming, you will need:

A curry comb

A stiff (dandy) brush

A hoof pick

Grooming supplies that are good but not necessary:

Soft brush

Mane and Tail comb

Shedding blade

Mane and Tail detangler

You'll also need a salt block, a halter, and a lead rope. And a 5 gallon (or larger) bucket for water if you don't have one already.

If the shelter has a dirt floor, you won't need bedding.

The best thing to do is ask the people you bought Belle from what she is currently eating for feed and hay. Then you can see if something similar is available at your local feed store. Since you've said she is very likely pregnant it is a pretty good bet she will need some type of grain to supplement the hay. Most feed stores from Here in Florida through to NC carry some type of hay. If they don't carry any they should be able to tell where to get some.

Bedding is a personal choice whether you use it or not. And if you do use it, what kind you use is totally up to your preference.

You only need a harness if you are hooking her up to some type of vehicle(cart, wagon,sled, farm equipment)

Good Luck!! and Happy Shopping!

*A water bucket for the stall, a small trough for water out in her paddock.....or a second bucket.

* A bale of grass hay to start with. (Our feed stores sell hay.)

*A bag of 14% grain...I agree with Barefootin in asking the previous owners what they were feeding.

* A feed dish for the grain is nice, but you can also just put the grain on top of her hay pile.

* A salt block....We use a salt/mineral block which has selenium in it because we are in a low selenium area. (Your vet will tell you if you are.)

* A halter and lead....You'll eventually find a use for a second lead. (A harness is only used for cart driving.)

*Curry comb, body brush, mane & tail comb, and hoof pick.

* Bedding on a dirt floor is optional, but I would recommend it....We use a pine bedding.

* PDZ or Stall Dry......This is a product I highly recommend, even if you don't use bedding. It soaks up urine and cuts the smell.

* A small rake and snow shovel to rake up poop.......and if you don't have a spare wheel barrow, you'll need it.
default_smile.png

* Wormer......The previous owners can tell you what her worming schedule is......Once she foals, she's going to need Ivermectin.

Thank you so much everyone. Where she is they have big pastures so they didn't feed sweet feed ( not sure what that is ) this year, but here she will have basically a yard. I am sure I would need some sort of feed to replace all the pasture acess she has now. They said to feed whatever I wanted, but I don't know anything. My best friend has a mini & she uses pellets in the Summer & mixes it with Sweet feed in the Winter. What is a paddock?

Is there a spray I need to use by I brush her so I don't breake her hair off? I will pick up the grooming tools & food/water dishes, a wheelbarrow, & anything I can find local...is there things I would need to order online? I don't want her to get here & then start trying to get her stuff together, so I REALLY appreciate y'all taking your time to help me. Oh, I saw a good that said miniature horses on it...wonder if that would be good. Also, how many times a day & how much do you feed a mini. Do I just give Alpha hay as a treat?

Pretty much any book from Storey Publishing is a good choice, but here is a pretty good book for basic horse care for all levels of horse ownership (it is a book based on full-size horses, but the information is still very good for any equine):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/storeys-guide-to-raising-horses-heather-smith-thomas/1100390326?ean=9781603426879

Don't get me wrong, we are here to answer your questions, but having a guide book is still a good idea. My equine book library is huge, I have a large, overflowing bookcases of books that I still refer to on occasion, I've been collecting equine care books for 30 years and I've weeded through the not-so great books along the way.

Thanks for the book lead. I will definitely start a collection as well. I just have a fear of not having her basics here soon. I am sure I will be a sponge for a long time after I get her set up.

I agree with Barefootin, you should really make contact the owners to find out what they have been feeding her. You dont want to change her regular feed or feeding program too much. If she is pregnant she will need a mare and foal feed closer to foaling.
default_smile.png

​I have always used straw for foaling the shavings is ok but a baby can suck up or nibble on shavings not good for baby, as far as feed mare and foal has everything a mom will need plus good hay in her last trimester and after til baby is weaned .

don't be afraid to touch baby all over soon after birth and well after it will be a much better adult for all the messing with.

Hope that helps some, good luck

Oh if you don't have a camera set up get a baby monitor or intercome at least you will be able to hear her if not see her with a baby monitor, if she is that close I wonder why the previous owner don't foal her out before she brings her to you.

Congratulation she is a very pretty mare.

Get a horse-specific grain. Sweet feed isn't good for horses, and especially not for minis (too much starch). Something low-starch would be best, I feed safechoice (I believe they have a mare and foal feed), but there are other brands that may be better. There will be instructions on the back of the bag for how much to feed by weight.

You should spray detangler on her mane and tail for combing, let it set in for a few minutes to work before combing through. You don't need to spray anything on her body for brushing.

For treats, carrots and apples are always good. They also sell horse treats at the feed stores.

And a regular pitchfork will have tines too wide for picking up mini manure. I use a shovel, but they do sell manure forks for Miniature Horses (will likely have to order online).

And a paddock is a small pasture. Big enough for the horse to run around a bit, but not big enough for galloping or to provide enough grass for the horse.

Hay is just dried grass, so it's the replacement. You will be feeding enough so that she's just barely finished it when you give her more (best to feed twice a day).

Ok...glad to know to do twice a day. Do I just throw hay on the ground or is there a holder it goes in? How many names of hay should I buy at once? Storage is limited so I can't buy in bulk right now. I will work on a storage shed for Belle's things.

You can either feed on the ground or in a holder. If your dirt is sandy, it's best to not feed directly on the ground (can lead to colic). There are a lot of options... I think the hay pillow (http://thehaypillow.com/home/18-mini-hay-pillow-slow-feeder-hay-bag.html) looks interesting, and it reduces waste. Or you could just get a stall mat and lay it on the ground for her to eat off of.

Just buy as much as you can keep dry. If it gets wet, it will start to mold. Also, make sure the hay is good enough for horses. Other livestock can eat hay that will make horses sick.

Thanks so much for the link, I saw hay bags on amazon, but the review wasn't good on the one I looked at. I will ask for horse hay. What happens if they eat straw I put in the walk in? I have shavings under our rabbit cage, but saw that wasn't the best option with a foal on it's way.

Straw shouldn't hurt her. It doesn't have much nutrition in it, but I don't think it will cause problems.

We put rubber mats on the stall floor and feed our hay on that. Horses are more healthy if they eat with their heads down, IMO.

Ask at your feed store what kind of hay they provide.....Every region is different. We prefer Orchard Grass hay, but also something

called Pasture Grass hay which is a mix of different grasses......Timothy Grass is a good hay too.

"Sweet Feed" grain isn't a type I'd recommend.....Talk to your feed store about a quality 14 percent grain that doesn't have too much

molasses in it. Believe it or not, I like what's called a "Senior Feed" for our pregnant mares and youngsters.....It has all the nutrients

and is easy for them to digest.

Don't be hesitant to ask questions......It's what this site is all about. I've owned minis since 1990 and STILL am learning new stuff!

One little thing...

I try to work with the KISS method, that would be "Keep It Simple Silly".

It's really easy to go overboard with horses, buy more stuff than you need or will use, start with the basics, you can always add more as you gain more knowledge.

Latest posts

Back