I need some advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledonkeys.com

Reaction score
If you havent read the welcome thread for me, here is the scoop.

I am new to Mini Donks...really knew, had never seen one before this business adventure. They are lots of fun so far.

Jason who is basically who I built the website for and I do his marketing is interested in trying new things.

I mentioned to him, why not make a little extra cash on the side or just get your name out by contacting the local boy/girls club, bigbrother big sister, or the Elementary Schools about doing some kind of show or petting zoo type deal.

Has anyone else done this? What is the best way to go about it? I would think I would have to make a little $$$ to cover transport and being off from work....since I would have to take a vacation day I could have used for well....vacation.....lol

I live in a small community and when my kids were young and in preschool ...the preschool that they attended had a local women bring an assortment of farm critters to a park where they had their end of the school year party. She brought these guys to alot of functions....I am sure she charged a fee...lol... I can't imagine doing all that without getting paid.

I grew up in Seattle and every year when I was young there was a family that would bring ponies door to door and take pictures. The pony was wearing some real nice gear and they gave the little riders chaps & a hat. I am sure there are others out there that have the same pictures....now, am talking of the 60's too. I have always wanted to do this with my donks
default_yes.gif
: Not go door to door, but go to grand openings, church events and schools etc..... I don't have time for it now...nor do I have a donkey at the time that would tolarate it..... The Jack that passed in May would have been perfect...he loved everybody and was so adaptable in any situation.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it....
default_yes.gif
:

I have been asked to do petting zoos in the past, and I also have taken my mini donks and horses to nursing homes, fairs, and a grand opening of a store, which my sister owned. I didnt do the petting zoos because the insurance is VERY high, and you sure dont want to do anything where someone could possible get kicked or bit, without insurance! (you can get insurance as therapy animals, very reasonable ..if not free, when you complete a course) When I take them to nursing homes I usually do stay outside except for a few minutes when I take them in to say HEEEE-HAWWWW, or NEIGH.... I have been told that if YOU are asked to bring a animal to a nursing home, etc..there insurance covers you. BUT not 150% sure on that so I would definitely check and get something in writing saying you are not responsible. I have never been paid to do this..I just enjoy bringing smiles to people.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin I think from the places you mentioned would be all volunteer work. If you actually had a petting zoo now and traveled to places that would be differant. Good Luck in your venture! Corinne

My friend and I looked into it here in PA (we wanted to do birthday parties etc) but the insurance was so high that we would have had to charge way too much - so we just poo poo'd the idea. I would think Insurance is the first thing to check into in your state. Good luck!

I dont know if the law has changed...and you might want to check on it. But in alot of states even with a waiver signed youcan still be sued.

I have several attorneys that will help me for free on the law thing, I may have them look it up...thanks guys/gals

Latest posts

Back