I had to do it!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
Last few months my 6 year old stallion started developing a terrible attitude with new horses even mares.

So after the incident Saturday evening when he ran my yearling quarter horse mare into the fence (she was in her own pasture and he broke the gate down and started running and biting her) and she fell over the fence into another pasture, I decided that something had to be done before he hurt a horse bad.

Luckily Brandi just had a few scratches no cuts. We where very lucky.

So yesterday I had him gelded, my vet tried to talk me out of it. But I stood firm (which was very difficult because he has given my some nice babies) but I told her that I have not choice. He is going to get someone hurt.

So do you think his attitude will get better and he will turn back to the gentleman he use to be now that I have gelded him?

Judy

:new_shocked: wow, I am glad your mare is okay and I applaud you :aktion033: for doing the right thing, not only for you and others that come in contact with your x-stallion but also for the stallion's sake. I am sure his behaviour will improve if it was purely hormonal, time will tell. I know sometimes it takes a while to manifext itself and it usually is not an "overnight" thing. Keep us posted!

Ackkkkkkk poor you and so glad your horse didn't get tragically hurt.

Stallions aren't for everyone in the first place, but not to worry, you'll be ok.

There are far too many stallions around that can behave and act nicely without having to put up with one that is a blooming fool. If I had one here that became unmanageable or put another horse or someone in harm's way, he'd be gone or cut on a heartbeat.

I don't know why your stallion became goofy, but gelding him should tone him down a bit and atleast keep him from causing another episode like he just did. He may have gotten way too territorial, sounds like to me. This would be a perfect time to take this boy back in hand and work with him on a daily basis and try to start over and brand new refreshing his manners.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may take quite a while for him to realize that he is no longer 'whole', but hopefully he will settle down. You did the right thing!! :aktion033:

Is it Russel you gelded??

If so maybe we should geld Taz too and have a perfect driving team
default_yes.gif
:

Sounds like you are a responsible breeder and care for your horses. Is this a mini you can train to drive? It takes a little while for them to forget they are not stallions. Seems like our vet always said as many months as they are in years. Example we did a 7 year old stallion and it took about 7 months for him to relax and forget the ladies. He was very behaved as a stallion though. Lavonne

Latest posts

Back