I found a sulky on craigslist!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Echo Jubilee. I did purchase the cart in the photo. I pick it up Friday. If it ends up being too small for him to use as a training cart, I can at least have it to do some basic desensitization and that sort of thing and then sell it on to buy one that fits.

Tomorrow!!!! I get the cart tomorrow!!! I can't wait!!!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Shake's vet appointment is today to have his teeth done and I had to get up VERY early (for me), so I'm running on sraight caffine right now. lol

I picked the cart up today. Both tires are flat, and there's a little rust on the back of the seat, but it looks like it is surface damage only and should come out okay with steel wool. I'm so happy. I led Shake past it and he barely even turned an ear at it.

To everyone who has posted on this thread, thanks for helping me make the right decision in buying this. I'm thrilled and it looks like it will fit him nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my horses are under 34". We have I believe 48"-49" shafts on all of our carts. I have a set of 54" shafts that are just hanging around. They are black and the same design as on your sulky. I am measuring from single tree to tip. The 54" shafts were way too long for any of my 34" and under horses. PM me and we can discuss if you want the shafts.

That was a great deal on the sulky, but I just cannot picture a 34.5" horse fitting into it. He may fit into the shafts just fine, but with that wooden basket on it, there is going to be no leg room for him--not with the basket coming straight down at the front. He will surely hit his heels on it when he trots, possibly even when he walks if he strides out well. If the basket comes off, then the sulky may work just fine.

That was a great deal on the sulky, but I just cannot picture a 34.5" horse fitting into it. He may fit into the shafts just fine, but with that wooden basket on it, there is going to be no leg room for him--not with the basket coming straight down at the front. He will surely hit his heels on it when he trots, possibly even when he walks if he strides out well. If the basket comes off, then the sulky may work just fine.

It does have stirrups and I have a friend who welds (the basket is metal), so I may have him look at it and see about removing the basket and just use the stirrups (I don't know that is that they are called, no experience here at all with a vehicle with 'stirrups,' please educate me if I am using the wrong term--I want to learn the right way to say what I mean. I've never worked with anything other than a good old pleasure cart.)

I wouldn't have thought of removing the basket, thank you Minimor!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back